MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Science & Technology > Science & Technology

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Down

Author Topic: Science & Technology  (Read 15373 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Science & Technology
« Reply #315 on: March 03, 2017, 05:45:07 PM »

That is pretty neat to watch.  15 miles on one charge.

Quite a fire in Toledo yesterday.  A Lithium alloy fabricator of some sort.  No water could be used as Lithium reacts with water to form hydrogen gas and the entire area was evacuated for a while due to noxious fumes.

Read this morning that the owner stated they had special fire supression in the plant but it did not function correctly.

I thought it was battery related at first but it wasn't.  The manufacture something lithium related for the glass industry.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #316 on: March 03, 2017, 06:23:55 PM »

And I know the guy that put the fire suppression sys in. Head scratcher right now.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #317 on: April 07, 2017, 10:03:31 PM »

1 robot will replace six human jobs, Automation is a 'national emergency' and more on the future of work

Published on April 3, 2017 Featured in: Economy, Editor's Picks, Technology

Caroline Fairchild

You probably saw at least one of the many headlines last week about a new report out about the future impact of automation on the U.S. economy. Most stories focused on one stat: For every robot put in place per thousand workers, up to six workers will lost their jobs and wages will go down. I took a look at the 91 pages of research and pulled out some other key findings:

As many as 57% of jobs could be automated over the next two decades, but this stat assumes automation will be cheaper than human labor, encouraging employers to use it.

The U.S lags behind its European peers in the adoption of robots in the workplace: In the late 2000s, there were 2.6 robots per thousand workers across developed European economies and only 1.4 robots in America per one thousand workers.

Men will likely be impacted more than women by mass adoption of robots: They will likely lose more work, however the decreases in wages for men and women will be the same.

The manufacturing industry will be most impacted by exposure to robots and there will be very few employment increases across other occupations to offset this decrease.

Managers are the only occupation title that the researchers said would not be negatively impacted by robots.

Workers with less than a high school degree, a high school degree and some college will see the most negative impact on employment and wages thanks to robots. The only group not hit in the researchers' exercise was workers with post-college degrees.

Robots in America will quadruple by 2025 to 5.25 more robots per thousand workers leading to a nearly 2 percentage points decrease in employment, according to one very aggressive model.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w23285?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axioslogin
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #318 on: April 24, 2017, 12:20:47 AM »

When a farmer on a Danish island persuaded conservative locals to "go green," they ended up saving millions of dollars per year in imported fossil fuel energy. Now, the whole world is learning how they did it.

https://www.facebook.com/ChristianScienceMonitor/videos/10155320761344658/

This island's solutions to energy production were covered in a TV series called "Islands of the Future". They get a lot of visitors looking to see how it's done, most look like Japenese or Chinese. Soon they will be way ahead of America in clean energy.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #319 on: April 27, 2017, 12:10:08 AM »

And I know the guy that put the fire suppression sys in. Head scratcher right now.
It would be interesting to learn what system they used and why it failed -
I teach an advanced suppression system course and we cover this type of specialized systems vs your standard sprinkler systems
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #320 on: April 27, 2017, 02:38:02 PM »

Speaking of technology, I got a new cell phone (and provider) this week and the phone has more intellegence (and memory) than my laptop[ does) plus it's IP54 rated.  Big issue with cell phones is water.  Not my new one.  It can be submerged in 30 feet of water for 3 minutes without damage.  No touch either (other than powering it up).  I speak to it and it handles everything else..... don't talk back like CL does, either. ;D

Always had an I-Phone.  Not now.

Probably take me a year to figure everything out.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #321 on: April 27, 2017, 05:50:35 PM »

Fixing your own supper tonight huh

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #322 on: April 28, 2017, 07:55:17 AM »

;D
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #323 on: April 28, 2017, 01:49:21 PM »

;D

No comments from the peanut gallery.... ;D

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #324 on: April 28, 2017, 03:58:02 PM »

Speaking of technology, I got a new cell phone (and provider) this week and the phone has more intellegence (and memory) than my laptop[ does) plus it's IP54 rated.  Big issue with cell phones is water.  Not my new one.  It can be submerged in 30 feet of water for 3 minutes without damage.  No touch either (other than powering it up).  I speak to it and it handles everything else..... don't talk back like CL does, either. ;D

Always had an I-Phone.  Not now.

Probably take me a year to figure everything out.

So if you catch a cold and lose your voice does it recognize you?

If you are next to some loud person, TV or Radio will it pick up what they say?  :-\

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #325 on: April 29, 2017, 06:11:35 PM »

I smirked when I saw you post it to begin with......I figured that was going to draw some fire from CL. 
Support the local economy as much as possible!

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #326 on: April 29, 2017, 07:11:25 PM »

YOU are the peanut gallery!   ;) ;D 8*
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #327 on: April 29, 2017, 07:37:51 PM »

It did........ ;D
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Up