MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > In the News This Morning

Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 315   Go Down

Author Topic: In the News This Morning  (Read 216441 times)

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: In the News This Morning
« Reply #4350 on: April 19, 2017, 10:11:19 AM »

I hope the McD's guy gets the $50K reward.  If not for him the cops might not have gotten to him,

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4351 on: April 19, 2017, 06:43:06 PM »

If it falls off the truck and rolls, it will remain in my mind as a roll.   ;D

I'm talking any secured load on a flat bed.......even grade 80 chain still can still have a statistical failure at peak stresses.

So can something in your trunk if you jam on the brakes.  No different.

I know the driver btw.  It's Don Bowling's brother, Bowling Transportation, Rising Sun, Ohio.

I wouldn't be too worried about anything coming off because if it does and it lands on you, you are history anyway.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4352 on: April 19, 2017, 06:55:08 PM »

I can't believe how foolish some people can be on Twitter, especially those in the media.

MSNBC terrorism analyst nominates Trump property for ‘ISIS suicide bombing

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/19/malcolm-nance-msnbc-terrorism-analyst-nominates-tr/

So can something in your trunk if you jam on the brakes.  No different.

I know the driver btw.  It's Don Bowling's brother, Bowling Transportation, Rising Sun, Ohio.

I wouldn't be too worried about anything coming off because if it does and it lands on you, you are history anyway.

Flip.....I just simply stated I look at them with caution every time I come up behind one.  I know the laws that apply to physics are the same in my trunk as they are on the back of a flat bed truck.

That was why I said I get around them as soon as I can at a reasonable speed.....to avoid being history.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4353 on: April 19, 2017, 07:14:15 PM »

Some truck drivers are as big a idiots as other vehicles on the road. I try to stay clear and pass with great speed when I can.  Once a trucker gets in trouble it's not as easy to correct as a smaller vehicle.
I once saw a truck tire explode while I was behind it. I wouldn't want that ripping into my car

Tim Heiss

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4354 on: April 20, 2017, 02:23:47 AM »

Some truck drivers are as big a idiots as other vehicles on the road. I try to stay clear and pass with great speed when I can.  Once a trucker gets in trouble it's not as easy to correct as a smaller vehicle.
I once saw a truck tire explode while I was behind it. I wouldn't want that ripping into my car
I had one explode right next to me as I was passing it. Not an experience I'd like to have again.
When the debate is lost slander becomes the tool of the loser.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4355 on: April 20, 2017, 07:42:57 AM »

That would be a buzz killer; happy 420!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #4356 on: April 20, 2017, 07:58:11 AM »

I see that Venezuela has seized General Motors' operations in their country. 
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #4357 on: April 20, 2017, 08:16:37 AM »

I had one explode right next to me as I was passing it. Not an experience I'd like to have again.

I've experienced a few exploding truck tires but all were in my younger days on my first job...

working in a Goodyear Farm and Fleet store.  Actually it was the rims that let go but essentially the same effect as far as noise goes.  Fortunately they were in a cage just like we were trained to do and no one was hurt although it drew a lot of attention from co-workers and passers by.

Out on the road I've never actually seen a tire on a semi blow...   although I've picked up lots and lots of the remnants so I know it happens a lot...   even on Telegraph road so it isn't just high speed that causes it. 

I have had two 'incidents' involving semi tires and wheels while I was driving though.  I don't recall the order now but one time I was driving along and saw a lug nut from a semi trailer 'launch'...   like a good outfielder I kept an eye on it as it went high in the air and then started back down...   I was kind of blocked in my own lane so couldn't take evasive maneuver other than to slow down and try to move to the shoulder some...   that lug nut must have had an eye on me because it came down through the windshield on the passenger side of the truck.   If anyone had been in that seat they probably wouldn't have been with us today.  Fortunately at that time we had no deductible comprehensive insurance but while I was explaining what had happened I got some very strange looks from the staff in the insurance office.  Another time, only a few miles away I was following a semi and one of the outside duals came off...   someone else along the way must have seen the lug nuts come off one by one...   when it separated from the truck it actually increased speed significantly and passed the truck...   the driver was probably figuring something had happened and was slowing down too.  We were on a huge sweeping curve to the right and eventually the wheel made it to the median.  This was on the NE corner of US 10 at Midland and it was a wide grassy median at the time.  It slowed down some but it also jumped in the air a couple of times.  Finally it made it to the other 'oncoming' lane.  It was early morning so most of the traffic was going east like I was but there were still a few vehicles that had to take evasive maneuvers.  Fortunately everyone must have had their morning coffee as everyone missed it.  I had pulled off the shoulder to keep an eye on the situation although this was way before the era of cell phones so not sure what I would have done if it had hit someone other than try to provide first aid. 

To this day I think about that incident every time I drive around that curve and what a disaster it 'could have been'. 
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4358 on: April 20, 2017, 11:31:15 AM »

Paranoid.  I'm setting on Secor and Alexis. A semi pulls into left turn lane. now I'm across from both sets of his back tires right out my side window.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4359 on: April 20, 2017, 01:56:23 PM »

The 'remenants' you pick up are tread not the carcass itself.  Those chunks of rubber are tread parts that have become loose on a retreaded carcass.

A truck tire actually blowing apart is rare on the road. 

I would  not be too concerned about a tire 'blowing up'.  In all my years of driving and being around countless tractor trailers, I saw maybe one tire let go and it was on a truck that was on fire and the tire blew because of the heat.

You stand a lot better chance of having a passenger car or light truck tire blow than a semi truck tire.  For one, the carcass is way thicker with many more plies and the chances of one 'blowing' are slim at best.

All the rubber you see on the roadside is tread, not the carcass.

Relax and concentrate on driving and don't worry about truck tires or securement of steel loads.  You stand a better chance of getting killed crossing the street in a crosswalk.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4360 on: April 20, 2017, 01:58:14 PM »

I see the North Korean idiot is now threatening a pre-emptive strike against the United States.

He's certifiably insane.  Trump needs to take him out forever....  If XI don't.

Looks like an idiot too.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4361 on: April 20, 2017, 02:24:48 PM »

Thanks....just caught up with the Korea deal.  What a loose and crazy cannon that dude is, gotta wonder what his agenda is.

Relax and concentrate on driving and don't worry about truck tires or securement of steel loads.  You stand a better chance of getting killed crossing the street in a crosswalk

Concentration does relax me.....and why it relaxes me to get around a flat bed hauling anything down constrained with chains or straps.  And btw......I'm thinking getting killed crossing the street in a cross walk all depends on where and what time one decides to use that cross walk.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4362 on: April 20, 2017, 03:03:03 PM »

I'm still saying we don't attack N. Korea under any circumstance..
If he shoots off something and it leaves his airspace we shoot it down. 

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4363 on: April 20, 2017, 03:31:41 PM »

I agree 100%.......defend with technology if at all possible, we've already lost enough lives there over a prolonged war that had questionable results.  Let China and Russia spanktheirassonthe ground if necessary.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4364 on: April 21, 2017, 10:39:11 PM »

I see the Venisulain (excuse my spelling) government confiscated the assets of GM yesterday.  The entire factory in fact.

Nice country there...
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 315   Go Up