MonroeTalks.com > Categories > People > Millennials Impacting the Workforce

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Millennials Impacting the Workforce  (Read 322 times)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Millennials Impacting the Workforce
« on: April 19, 2017, 01:12:17 PM »

I thought it was an interesting read.

(WXYZ) - They're known as millennials or "Generation Y."

While the parameters of the demographic are debated, the group usually consists of people who became an adult around the start of the 21st Century. Some of the big influences of the generation: technology and social media.

Now, those millennials are starting to move up the corporate ladder.

Mark Lanfear, a vice president at Kelly Services, stopped by the studio today to talk about the generational shift happening in the workforce today and why it's creating so much discussion.

"They're already taking such a large part of the workforce, they're already one in three workers and I think the difference in this generation is that it's happening so fast, we see the silver tsunami where everyone is retiring very quickly right now and folks gotta take control of the wheel...and it's just an exciting time for them to contribute," said Lanfear.

The goal of millennials, according to Lanfear, is to achieve. It's a characteristic that can set them apart from their older peers.

"Millennials...and really technology driven folks want to come in and accomplish and drive your company to its goals as quickly as possible and so there's a balance in dealing with that and its really incumbent on the employer to do it," he said.

But what attracts them to employers in the first place? Lanfear points to projects that move and employers that make sure their workers' interests are satisfied. 

"The big, open workforce areas...where folks can interact with one another easily -- that's one of the things they are looking for. It's not just about fun though at work, millennials see the mountain and they just want to climb it as fast as they can. It is about accomplishing, said Lanfear.

The focus of the employer should be on trying to get as much out of the millennial workforce as possible, instead of trying to retain them for the long haul, he says.

"It's OK to let folks come in and contribute, be a part of everything that's going on -- kind of get the energy of the sun off of them and if they want to go on to another company and do the same thing and help them, that's a good thing too."

http://www.wxyz.com/news/generational-switch-on-the-job-how-millennials-are-impacting-the-workforce
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: Millennials Impacting the Workforce
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:18:24 AM »

Interesting read Fuzz...

I'll pass that along to my kids and see how that fits in with their experience at work.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 02:05:38 PM »

From what I've observed a good percentage of them are basically useless.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 02:16:46 PM »

Entering the job market at the beginning of the century was 17 years ago, so the age group we are referring to is 35 to to 40 as the first wave of current status.

From what I have observed is that a good percentage (more than 50%) of them are excellent workers and problem solvers utilizing technology to it's full advantage; especially in electro/mechanical.  Now....where I see the deficiencies is basic mechanical aptitude.  The ones who went through with boning up on Physics (Statics and Fluid Dynamics) are 95% useful.

Now....that being said, they have much more emphasis on not working 70 to 80 hours a week versus enjoying life outside of work as much as possible.  Kind of hard to knock that one; sure wish I had.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 07:50:44 AM »

From what I've observed a good percentage of them are basically useless.

I'm guessing there was a good percentage of our forefathers that were saying the same thing about our generation ;) ;) ;)

I occasionally meet some of my son's coworkers and all speak highly of his skills and abilities...   even some of the crew that are nearly my age.  I know you do some welding in your shop...   I'm curious how you'd do working 250-275 feet up in the air though ;) ;) ;)  I know I prefer my feet on the ground (or at least a lot closer to the ground)!!!  And it's not just him either...   they've got a whole crew of guys (even a few gals) that do that every day.

This is just another case of the news the 'few' making tainting the sentiment about an entire generation.

I know several of the people my oldest daughter works with and all of them are always commenting on her work ethic.  I doubt there are many of us 'old guys' that could keep up with her pace all day and manage to do it safely, year after year.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 10:00:38 AM »

Maybe things are changing in the UAW shops at the Big 3.  My neighbor applied for a different job and had to go thru interviews and take a test.   Before it was the most senior guy and it didn't matter if he could do the job

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »

I'm not sure about the protocol in a UAW shop currently, nor the old days.  Our company honors seniority only if passing the test given for a different job over a person of less seniority.

BRD.....another good read and refers to the generational stereotyping by elders all the way back to Ben Franklin.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/04/21/millennials-going-alright-christian-schneider-column/100667162/ 

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 08:49:58 AM »

Now....that being said, they have much more emphasis on not working 70 to 80 hours a week versus enjoying life outside of work as much as possible.  Kind of hard to knock that one; sure wish I had.

Kind of a drag working with this "driven" group when you have a big assignment with an immediate deadline - and 4:30 rolls around and they all go home with no thought of the consequences.

That leaves the Gen X'ers behind - who are still ingrained to work 70 to 80 hours a week to do the work and get the project done no matter what it takes.

This however doesn't prevent the "Gen Y" person who didn't do the bulk of the work from attempting to take credit for it and climbing on up the ladder - which I have no interest in scaling.

I am counting the years until I can leave them to it. 

Then maybe they can stay behind and finish it themselves? 

Or maybe their Gen Y manager will be okay with the project running late?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »

Good point, and funny you say that as a few of us remaining gringos (Gen X and few remaining baby boomers) working the Mexico plant issues made note of the younger gringos there were bailing out at 4:30/5:00.  The discussion turned to what is going to happen when we call it quits...will be interesting to monitor after I hang up my cleats. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up