MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Media & Entertainment > I heard the strangest call on the scanner!

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]   Go Down

Author Topic: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!  (Read 41249 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!
« Reply #675 on: April 23, 2018, 08:30:47 AM »

Does it know when you're asleep?

That is what the initial call sounded like...   

that it was Onstar that had somehow decided the driver was having medical issues of some kind.  I never did hear where any department had intercepted him so hopefully he got wherever he was going ok and won't be back out driving until his issues are resolved.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #676 on: May 10, 2018, 11:09:05 AM »

It happened again yesterday at Meijer in Frenchtown Township. 

A call for a 2 year old child locked in the car! 

I do not understand how someone does this. 

We raised three children and neither one of us ever locked the car with anyone left in it!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #677 on: May 16, 2018, 09:34:00 AM »

I didn't actually hear this on the scanner (too far up I-75) but a bunch of first responders had to deal with it.  In all the middle of the night calls out on I-75 or US-10 I ever responded to I never worried too much about it. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2018/05/semi_hauling_8_bengal_tigers_c.html

I never did read where the tigers had been or even exactly where they are heading.  I did talk to a guy that is sure he saw the truck going through Toledo the day after the crash.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #678 on: May 20, 2018, 11:17:37 AM »

I guess actually none of these were particularly strange calls although a vehicle colliding with a house is still a bit unique. 

I've always found it interesting how the number and intensity of various fire calls occur. 

Yesterday was one of those unique afternoons.  There had been the average calls over the course of the day but overall fairly quiet.

Then a dispatch went out for a vehicle hitting a house in LaSalle and the house and the vehicle were now on fire.  There was a little extra confusion as apparently the LaSalle Chief happened onto the scene while central dispatch was in the process of dispatching the call. 

Then just a few minutes later Erie gets a call a block from their station for a vehicle crash.  It was on the Dixie which is also where the LaSalle call was (corner of Dixie and W. Stein).  Both being on Dixie complicated additional responders being able to just drive up or down the Dixie. 

Somewhere in the string there was a motorcycle crash on Telegraph at CarletonRockwood and then a call that started off in LMR's area but ended up in Exeter.  Original call was for Sumpter at Bluebush but it ended up being several miles north of Bluebush on Sumpter.  No idea how the confusion occurred but this is a perfect example of 'why' a better mapping system for central dispatch would pay off for everyone!  In this case there was probably at least a delay of several minutes for getting help to the victims. 

We drove by the house in LaSalle and I was really surprised to see it still standing and not with as much damage as I expected.  A great response from LaSalle and MonroeTown on that one.  The house was a two story home and probably over a hundred years old.  Most likely balloon framing which creates a series of chimneys to carry the fire from the basement right on up to the attic.  I've often wondered if maybe the house had been a little country store back in the early automobile days.  It looks like there may have been an 'island' for a fuel pump at one time. 

It seems like there were actually couple of other medical calls all thrown into a short timeframe.  This all happened in about as long as it took me to type it (I don't type fast). 

The staff at central dispatch did an excellent job of dealing with some frustrating situations all back to back to back!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #679 on: June 04, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »

Dundee had a call this morning for a tractor 'upside down' out off of Bigelow Road.  The caller was able to check and make sure there was no one pinned or even around. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #680 on: June 10, 2018, 08:28:19 AM »

Two calls overnight for people just laying along the road (not in the driving lane from what I heard on the dispatch). 

Must be the nice weather!
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]   Go Up