MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > What did you see out your window today ?

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 243   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you see out your window today ?  (Read 212020 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: What did you see out your window today ?
« Reply #3090 on: April 14, 2018, 10:18:48 AM »

Power lines too. 

Our new very large black dog (117 pounds and dropping), went out to do his business as well and we he came in, CL 'beached' him.  Her term for a rubdown with a bath towel...  he likes that.  Nice pup, 9 years old, housebroken, answers to common commands, sit, stay, heel and give me your paw.  Sleeps in the bedroom on his bed every night.  Gets to walk every night down the road.  Working him (and me) up to going around the block (4 miles).

Looks wicked (black with piercing brown eyes) and he's a huge dog, but very docile.

Found him a home last year but the home we found didn't pan out so we have him back and here he will stay.  I don't believe in 'discarding' any animal and the pound is out of the question.  A pup his age would be eliminated, a total waste of a great companion.  He's sitting right next to me right now, very content, half asleep.

CL has him on a weight reducing diet and I'll be exercising him (and me) every day.  Took him in last week for a 'flush, fill and fragrance' at Blissfield Vet.  He's good to go.  No way will he fit in the Focus....lol
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3091 on: April 14, 2018, 10:25:13 AM »

I guess we'll just wait and find out.

I saw the comments on the "up to an inch of ice" on one of the weather channels and it was from someone not in our area.

I'm just reading the local NWS article from the Free Press and it sounds like they're expecting up to an inch of sleet rather than ice.  That can all change rapidly though...  a rise or drop of a degree in temperature changes everything.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/04/14/michigan-weather-ice-storm/517069002/
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3092 on: April 14, 2018, 05:14:57 PM »

We took a ride down to Point Place to see what the wind was doing along the lake.

At Luna Pier the waves are breaking completely over the breakwater and the top of it is still out of the water between wave crests.  It's usually 3 and ever 4 feet out of the water!

Down at the state line at the game refuge we saw a big bird walking that looked like a sandhill crane.  We see them in Florida this time of year so this may be one that's on it's way home to Michigan or maybe one that just decided not to go south.

We also saw the same flock of swans.  I'm thinking they're going to nest down there.  They sure do seem to be right at home even with I-75 traffic zooming by 100 yards away!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3093 on: April 15, 2018, 09:14:04 AM »

The biggest issue is what I hear...

wind, wind and wind!

I was up a few times in the night and the coldest I saw the temp was 35 and I don't see any signs of any of the rain freezing on anything.  They're getting it bad up in central part of the state.  They are strong encouraging no travel whatsoever. 

I do see water standing in many places in the open field across the road.  The critters won't have to go far to get a drink today. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3094 on: April 15, 2018, 09:23:19 AM »

The biggest issue is what I hear...

wind, wind and wind!

I was up a few times in the night and the coldest I saw the temp was 35 and I don't see any signs of any of the rain freezing on anything.  They're getting it bad up in central part of the state.  They are strong encouraging no travel whatsoever. 

I do see water standing in many places in the open field across the road.  The critters won't have to go far to get a drink today.

Living closer to a populated area must keep the 'heat' there...

It resembles a glazed dough nut out here with about 1/4" of ice on the trees right now and the temp hovering around 30.  I can see the rain coming down but it's freezing on the limbs and ground.  Back deck resembles a well glazed slider... ;D

Going to be a 'nice' day to drive anywhere.  We will be staying home.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3095 on: April 15, 2018, 09:31:27 AM »

Living closer to a populated area must keep the 'heat' there...

It resembles a glazed dough nut out here with about 1/4" of ice on the trees right now and the temp hovering around 30.  I can see the rain coming down but it's freezing on the limbs and ground.  Back deck resembles a well glazed slider... ;D

Going to be a 'nice' day to drive anywhere.  We will be staying home.

I'm pretty sure it's a case of living close to Lake Erie and the wind blowing across the lake and then southwest.  I saw a graphic on Twitter earlier and it showed the 'freeze' line going from about the mouth of the Huron River and extending southwest toward Dundee and your area. 

With as much rain as we've had we would be in trouble if it was freezing.

Several fire departments have been out on 'wires down' calls all night long.

We'll probably take a ride over towards the lake later just to see what is happening.  I'll be sure to stay out of the way of anything going on so everyone can get their job done safely. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3096 on: April 15, 2018, 10:15:38 AM »

Warming up here a bit and the ice on the tree limbs id falling off.  The 'Big Black Dog' went out but CL salted the ramp so he didn't 'ice skate' down it to do his business.  He wants so go for a walk, maybe later on. The road out front looks like a paint job.

He is a big dog, largest I've ever had.  I'm a small pup person at heart but I guess we became large dog people with no choice.  CL likes him, do do I.  Big baby...lol

He's snoozing under my feet right now.  Ate his breakfast and took his supplements.  House cats are getting used to him (after a week and a half) and he's getting used to them as well.  Has a couple favorites that rub on him and he don't seem to mind at all.  That is good, CL would have an issue if he could not 'acclimate' with the cats.  So far, so good.

Fingers crossed.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3097 on: April 15, 2018, 10:37:38 AM »

Temp here is holding at 36.  We're having some stronger wind gusts and the rain is coming down as hard as I've seen or heard it in the last couple of days. 

At least all of this isn't snow!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3098 on: April 15, 2018, 10:47:11 AM »

Global warming...lol  We had a late start to winter so I've expected winter to last well into 'normal' spring.  We are at 33 and steady, light rain and slightly windy.

Knew it would be bad up north when the 'Weather Channel' was in Mt. Pleasant yesterday.  They only go where it's bad....lol

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3099 on: April 15, 2018, 11:09:50 AM »

No ice of any kind down south..Just rain and now wind picking up more

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3100 on: April 15, 2018, 11:19:43 AM »

Global warming...lol  We had a late start to winter so I've expected winter to last well into 'normal' spring.  We are at 33 and steady, light rain and slightly windy.

Knew it would be bad up north when the 'Weather Channel' was in Mt. Pleasant yesterday.  They only go where it's bad....lol

MP is about the western edge of the ice storm up there.  Google maps is showing traffic is moving but not at normal speeds. 

I'm trying to figure out which road is closed along the Saginaw River between Bay City and Saginaw.  The water has to be backing up the river from the mouth of the river at Saginaw Bay.  It's neat to watch that river just turn around and flow backwards during these types of a storm. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3101 on: April 15, 2018, 11:28:08 AM »

No ice of any kind down south..Just rain and now wind picking up more

We're seeing some fog all of a sudden...

strange to see it like that as windy as it is. 

Maybe it's just 'low clouds'!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3102 on: April 15, 2018, 12:37:46 PM »

The wind is calming down and the rain looks like it's stopped.  Accuweather shows we're at the edge of a dry slow. 

I think I'll go put on my tall boots and go out and see if we have any problems.  I do see some limbs down in the yard but they'll wait until a nicer day. 

FritzTheKat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3103 on: April 15, 2018, 01:59:26 PM »

Lots of trees down, roads closed, lost power around here
I could be Schrodinger's Kat!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3104 on: April 15, 2018, 04:19:06 PM »

None of that down on the border
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 243   Go Up