MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Notice any thing new driving around Monroe County?

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70   Go Down

Author Topic: Notice any thing new driving around Monroe County?  (Read 77370 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Notice any thing new driving around Monroe County?
« Reply #1005 on: December 10, 2018, 09:46:31 AM »

I would agree with that 100%.  Firefighters remind me of the 'squirrel squad' when it comes to destroying things.  Chop, hack and hell with it...

Not into preservation of anything.  Never have been.

Well when the educated professionals learn a few things this may be an educational topic

Fire is a interesting study -   it grows exponentially and with time- will engulf all 

Time is the biggest enemy of firefighting -  so any small delay can cause total loss

History has taught us that - along with the many studies done by engineers and agencies dealing with such issues. 

Its why full time fire departments have much more success than their counterparts -  not because of special skills -  but because of "TIME"...     you still have the court house and many countless properties downtown because of the full time response in just the City of Monroe alone...  you don't always read about the ones that were saved - just the ones lost ;) 

When it is a total - its not worth exposing firefighters and yes they wait all night to let it burn - while still applying water to control and contain so it doesn't spread to other properties.   Embers from the initial moments of the bowling alley were found in neighborhoods.     

I have a lot more if you need it - ask away
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1006 on: December 10, 2018, 10:06:18 AM »

I garner my opinions from what I see and not the mechanics of it.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1007 on: December 10, 2018, 11:25:43 AM »

I garner my opinions from what I see and not the mechanics of it.
My point exactly - you don't see the "saves"...  ;)     

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1008 on: December 10, 2018, 01:00:47 PM »

Is that why they moved the new fire station to a less central location?

To improve response time?

8*
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1009 on: December 10, 2018, 01:02:21 PM »

For some of us we have to be on all the time.

We don't get to sit back and be happy about the occasional save.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1010 on: December 11, 2018, 11:44:46 AM »

My point exactly - you don't see the "saves"...  ;)     

It appears to me that the 'saves' are a minority while the 'totals' are the majority.  When you unleash the 'squirrel squads' on any structure fire.  It becomes a free-for-all with destruction.  Seen that play out many, many times.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1011 on: December 11, 2018, 05:11:53 PM »

I don't have one minute of training for fighting a fire but the church on Lewis is a mystery..The building was huge and pretty well spread out.  The fire started in one end.  So what did the firefighters do. Start spraying water there and all they did in my opinion is push the fire throughout the rest of the structure.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1012 on: December 11, 2018, 07:49:19 PM »

Relative term WAS huge.  Now just a huge empty space.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1013 on: December 21, 2018, 11:53:44 PM »

It appears to me that the 'saves' are a minority while the 'totals' are the majority.  When you unleash the 'squirrel squads' on any structure fire.  It becomes a free-for-all with destruction.  Seen that play out many, many times.

Probably true in your neck of the woods -     

I can attest to the fact we saved more than we lost in my 30 years...

I don't have one minute of training for fighting a fire but the church on Lewis is a mystery..The building was huge and pretty well spread out.  The fire started in one end.  So what did the firefighters do. Start spraying water there and all they did in my opinion is push the fire throughout the rest of the structure.

If that is the facts -  then it's likely true -   however the time again is the issue - like Nortel,   if its been going (and you can't always see or tell from the "front" -    the usual tactic is defensive and surround and drown.       Large open span areas lend to roof collapses -   so if you really want to protect on of those structures and don't have an alarm system -  and large fire department response,  you should put in a sprinkler system to contain it until the FD arrives. 
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1014 on: December 21, 2018, 11:54:47 PM »

I noticed a house torn down behind the Marathon on Telegraph and M-50   -   leaving a good sized lot open,  curious what's in store there!
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1015 on: December 22, 2018, 10:33:59 AM »

Probably true in your neck of the woods -     

I can attest to the fact we saved more than we lost in my 30 years...

I think we both can agree that your old department isn't what it used to be Prof.

Seems like we were both at the meeting when your old department decided to commit suicide?

Let me ask you.....

How ashamed would you have been to be third on scene to a fire in the city?

Seems to me if I was a City Fireman I would be pretty appalled at that.

Probably why the Monroe Evening News and City releases glossed over the fact.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1016 on: December 22, 2018, 07:16:59 PM »

Driving anything but a lifted 4x4 out here is asking to get stuck, the roads are that bad.  Cannot wait for another rain to make it worse.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1017 on: December 22, 2018, 07:44:14 PM »

Driving anything but a lifted 4x4 out here is asking to get stuck, the roads are that bad.  Cannot wait for another rain to make it worse.

Roads around here are drying out. 

Well - except the areas where the road is the ditch.....

;D
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1018 on: December 22, 2018, 09:01:33 PM »

Roads around here are drying out. 

Well - except the areas where the road is the ditch.....

;D

You just described 90% of the secondary roads in Monroe County...  a ditch.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1019 on: December 23, 2018, 06:35:44 AM »

The road comm says all it's money so they can run snowplows on the 3 interstates..
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70   Go Up