MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > What are you thinking - (political version)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 276   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you thinking - (political version)  (Read 213586 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: What are you thinking - (political version)
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2015, 07:30:05 PM »

I love managers (in any field) that say one thing and do the complete opposite...

He still has his job - so apparently it doesn't matter to the elected officials...
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2015, 03:33:03 PM »

Looking to get some of that Road Commission  - State - $$?

Here's your chance to get one of those nice blue tractors to mow and sweep...

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/22/monroe-county-road-commission-state-mowing/
http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/22/monroe-county-road-commission-invitation-bid/
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2015, 08:08:12 PM »

New Holland Tractors only last so long when left sitting out in the weather and no maintenance.

I suspect they are junk.

I'll jump right up and bid on it..............not.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2015, 02:56:15 PM »

Michigan's union membership fell 7.6% in 2014, the first full year that the state's right-to-work law was in place, to 14.5%. Michigan became the 24th right-to-work state in March, 2013.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/columnists/2015/01/23/union-membership-michigan-right-work-fall-state/22219305/

Gee - Right to Work gave workers the right to get the heck out of their Unions.

7.6% down in the first year - and the UAW and MEA contracts are yet to be affected by how the law was written.

If I was a Union boss I would be taking notice - and changing my way to retain members.

Maybe not supporting one extreme party so much?  Maybe doing more to back my members, and less to push my political agenda?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2015, 03:09:53 PM »

Gee - Right to Work gave workers the right to get the heck out of their Unions.

7.6% down in the first year - and the UAW and MEA contracts are yet to be affected by how the law was written.

If I was a Union boss I would be taking notice - and changing my way to retain members.

Maybe not supporting one extreme party so much? Maybe doing more to back my members, and less to push my political agenda?

Years ago the Firefighters got it...

This was posted earlier for the Members of the IAFF -
Interesting that the only Union Leader in Attendance was the IAFF General President
================================================
International Association of Fire Fighters
Yesterday at 1:00pm ·
Adding further credence to the IAFF’s bi-partisan approach of supporting those who support fire fighters, regardless of political party, IAFF General President Harold Schaitberger was the lone union leader in attendance at a big Jeb Bush function January 20 in Washington, DC.
https://www.facebook.com/IAFFonline/posts/796388757063918
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2015, 04:23:55 PM »

The funny thing is that "Big Business" long ago learned that you could lobby both sides of the aisle to your benefit - and it is VERY clear that they do it very successfully to their benefit - and often to the general populations detriment.

It is strange and very short sighted that most labor unions didn't take the same approach for their constituents.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2015, 11:34:19 AM »

Should we be replacing vehicles in a fleet after 100k miles?

I just find it odd in today's cars - I have one with 200k miles still going strong
(them Lincolns run forever)
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2015, 12:04:23 PM »

Should we be replacing vehicles in a fleet after 100k miles?

I just find it odd in today's cars - I have one with 200k miles still going strong
(them Lincolns run forever)

At 100K they're just getting 'broke in' with today's vehicles...

Hopefully all government fleets are keeping detailed 'costs per vehicle' (fairly inexpensive and readily available software if they really need it) and only making decisions to 'replace rather than repair' when it is actually necessary.

My guess is you're seeing the results of some short sighted 'savings' by eliminating the real mechanics and replacing them with a couple of parts changers and oil change techs...   Huge savings in personnel costs (picture all the decision makers slapping each other on the back and laughing about how easy that was)...

but not bothering to look at the 'long term' results...

you know...   the ones that are starting to show up now as the vehicles need replacing because it's too expensive to 'fix them' (and it is if you have to send them all the way up to that Ford dealer in Owosso)!!!

But, he's probably someone's brother in law or long lost cousin or something like that!

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2015, 04:01:31 PM »

At 100K they're just getting 'broke in' with today's vehicles...

Hopefully all government fleets are keeping detailed 'costs per vehicle' (fairly inexpensive and readily available software if they really need it) and only making decisions to 'replace rather than repair' when it is actually necessary.

My guess is you're seeing the results of some short sighted 'savings' by eliminating the real mechanics and replacing them with a couple of parts changers and oil change techs...   Huge savings in personnel costs (picture all the decision makers slapping each other on the back and laughing about how easy that was)...

but not bothering to look at the 'long term' results...

you know...   the ones that are starting to show up now as the vehicles need replacing because it's too expensive to 'fix them' (and it is if you have to send them all the way up to that Ford dealer in Owosso)!!!

But, he's probably someone's brother in law or long lost cousin or something like that!

My thoughts are they are replacing at 100k...   
Because we've always done it that way

I doubt they are going to restart the bridge testing program again  ;D
all servicing and body shop is done at Friendly Ford last I knew.

State contracts are often won by smaller dealers that need the business - thus willing to make bare bones.   Service/warranty is done by any dealer.
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2015, 07:35:43 PM »

It could be an interesting week in the stock market.

"The sovereign Greek people today have given a clear, strong, indisputable mandate. Greece has turned a page. Greece is leaving behind the destructive austerity, fear and authoritarianism. It is leaving behind five years of humiliation and pain," Tsipras told a crowd of rapturous flag-waving supporters.

He won on promises to demand debt forgiveness and renegotiate the terms of Greece's 240 billion-euro ($270 billion) bailout, which has kept the debt-ridden country afloat since mid-2010.

To qualify for the cash, Greece has had to impose deep and bitterly resented cuts in public spending, wages and pensions, along with public sector layoffs and repeated tax increases.

Its progress in reforms is reviewed by inspectors from the International Monetary Fund, European Commission and European Central Bank, collectively known as the troika, before each installment of bailout funds can be released.

Tsipras pronounced the troika and its regular debt inspections "a thing of the past."

"The verdict of the Greek people ends, beyond any doubt, the vicious circle of austerity in our country," he said.

Greece's creditors insist the country must abide by previous commitments to continue receiving support.

The election results will be the main topic at Monday's meeting of eurozone finance ministers. Belgium's minister, Johan Van Overtveldt, said there is room for some flexibility, but not much.

"We can talk modalities, we can talk debt restructuring, but the cornerstone that Greece must respect the rules of monetary union - that must stay as it is," Van Overtveldt told VRT network.

Samaras conceded defeat, saying he had received a country "on the brink of disaster" when he took over in 2012 and was close to ushering it out of the crisis.

"I was asked to hold live coals in my hands and I did," he said. "Most gave us no prospect of lasting out and we did. We got the country out of deficits and recession ... and set the foundations for growth and a final exit from the crisis."

Syriza's anti-bailout rhetoric appealed to many in a country that, in the past five years, has seen a quarter of its economy wiped out, unemployment above 25 percent, and average income losses of at least 30 percent.

But Syriza's victory has renewed doubts over Greece's ability to emerge from the crisis, and generated fears that the country's finances could once again send shockwaves through global markets and undermine the euro, the currency shared by 19 European countries.

The centrist Potami party was battling for third place with the Nazi-inspired Golden Dawn, whose leader and several lawmakers campaigned from prison, where they are awaiting trial on charges of participating in a criminal organization.

If Syriza falls shy of the 151 seats necessary to form a government on its own in the 300-seat parliament, it will have to seek support from other parties - either in a minority government or as part of a coalition.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_GREECE_ELECTION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-01-25-12-09-15
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2015, 09:12:12 PM »

It's all greek to me  <hold the groans>

It will be interesting to watch the global warming blizzard on the East Coast tomorrow...
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2015, 09:37:28 PM »

To bad the Super Bowl isn't in NY this year

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2015, 11:12:41 AM »

I'm thinking it's odd the police report crime statistics to get more $$
Yet don't want citizens to use those crime statistics to infer whether or not their community has issues to deal with?
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2015, 01:07:27 PM »

.........along with having local media back the facade.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2015, 06:07:39 PM »

I'm thinking it's odd the police report crime statistics to get more $$
Yet don't want citizens to use those crime statistics to infer whether or not their community has issues to deal with?

.........along with having local media back the facade.

Here's a link to the article from Saturday's paper:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/26/monroe-really-dangerous-place-view-stats-can-be-mu/
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 276   Go Up