MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Sports > Season changes: Good or bad?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Season changes: Good or bad?  (Read 8428 times)

Jason_Haupricht

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Talker
Season changes: Good or bad?
« on: August 13, 2007, 12:26:20 PM »

What do you think of the season changes for high school athletics? The main changes are volleyball being played in the fall and girls basketball during the winter.

Here's a story about Mike Dushane of Monroe. He's a standout golfer and baseball player, but he'll have to choose one over the other this spring.

http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070813/SPORTS/108130017
"Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer."                   ~ Ted Williams

Niles

• Hero Talker
Re: Season changes: Good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:47:53 PM »

The decision shows how the court system is completely out of touch with the real world.
Michigan had a superior system with girls basketball in the fall and volleyball in the winter, but because it was different the courts decided it must be bad.
The liberal do-good judge in Grand Rapids who started this whole mess showed his arrogance by ignoring college scholarship statistics and poll after poll of female athletes in the state that showed they didn't want a change. He decided he knew better was was best for girls than they knew for themselves.

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 05:44:43 PM »

well its absolutely ridiculous!!

title nine is also absolutely ridiculous!!!

did you have to mention womens rowing?? i can foresee jason writing a column about that now! ;D
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

erfire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 10:18:08 PM »

I think it stinks, personnally.  My daughter plays golf and wanted to try out for swimming but now they are both fall sports.  She also is involved in drama and they have a fall play.  The rest of the year...nothing.  She has no other sports she wants to be involved in.
Life isn't like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of
jalapeƱos.
What you do today, might burn your *** tomorrow

eaglepride

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 10:24:45 PM »

I think it stinks, personnally.  My daughter plays golf and wanted to try out for swimming but now they are both fall sports.  She also is involved in drama and they have a fall play.  The rest of the year...nothing.  She has no other sports she wants to be involved in.

You can blame it all on those two feminist parents who thought their daughters didn't get a college scholarship because they played the sport during the winter season. They also thought their daughters were better than what they actually were. Now look at what those two crazy ladies who got all that self absorbed media attention have done.

They have messed it up for everybody.  ;D

Ms Sporty

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 10:47:54 PM »

How do you know it was the girls mothers who made the complaint. It could of been the dads doing all the complaining. The moms probably didn't know much about volleyball, so how are they going to make the complaint.
Even if the moms did do all the complaining, they probably hired a male lawyer who told them what to do and they probably had a male judge who made the final decision.
So it wasn't a females fought. It was a males fought.

caspar

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 11:17:21 PM »

How do you know it was the girls mothers who made the complaint. It could of been the dads doing all the complaining. The moms probably didn't know much about volleyball, so how are they going to make the complaint.
Even if the moms did do all the complaining, they probably hired a male lawyer who told them what to do and they probably had a male judge who made the final decision.
So it wasn't a females fought. It was a males fought.

???...???......???

Niles

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 12:01:33 AM »

I think the girl volleyball players were getting more looks from scouts because of the different season. 

You are right, problem solver.
Michigan girls were actually ranked higher in college scholarships nationally than the state population should have dictated. The courts chose to ignore that.

Crysti

• Active Talker
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 06:37:31 AM »

I think the season changes for athletics is bad. This is what happens when a couple of people get the ear of a liberal court. Title IX requires that schools, which receive federal funding, provide equal opportunities for members of both sexes. This is true, however, I think that it swings the pendulum to the other extreme and violates the boys civil rights now.

High girls had a better opportunity to be scouted by college coaches while their schedule opposite of the universities. Now, I think it could be difficult for a college scout to see a prospective player with the season switch. Also, with girls and boys basketball being played at the same time does nothing but make the schools scramble for game times, referees and available practice facilities. I can imagine it is an athletic directors nightmare.

It will be difficult enough for schools with larger facilities, such as Monroe or Dundee (having 2 high school gymnasiums) just think of SMCC. Time in the gym will be scarce once basketball begins with varsity, JV and freshman. SMCC is complying even though they are not federally funded and they will have a hardship because of the lack of facilities. Some teams will lose out on this deal. Boys and girls.

no one gets my name right anyway

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 08:15:27 AM »

The whole point was to be able to offer more girls scholarships and reduce the marginalization of women's sports.  I worked at the U of M athletic department and of course it was a mess when coaches were IN SEASON and also expected to recruit high school seniors.

Do we honestly think that if the roles were reversed and if a boy's team had felt they were disadvantaged for, say, football tryouts, that right now people would complain as much?

Society values male sports over female sports. Go watch any high school, college, or pro sport and notice the crowds.  I think this is an attempt to help that, though it may not have necessarily been the best method.  But look at how many people are at least talking about female sports now!

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 08:18:17 AM »

oh come on ms sporty lol how can you say that??

im betting that both of those women are single moms!

no one gets my name right anyway

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 08:21:25 AM »

Even if they are, they have the right to their own  beliefs and actions.

What difference does it make if someone is a single mother, Nosh?

chris

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 02:23:45 PM »

If the two girls originally involved in this case were good enough, they would have received one. It is just another case of a parent who lacks sports knowledge having sour grapes and/or unrealistic expectations.

you hit the nail on the head right there.

the biggest problem will be the winter season.  you have three (freshman, jv, varsity) boys basketball teams, three girls basketball teams, and the wrestling teams all competing for gym time.  with smaller schools with one gym, that means less than an hour a day for each team to practice. 

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 02:37:48 PM »

it doesnt make a difference. i was responding to what ms sporty said about it being a mans fought...errrrrrrr fault i think she meant! lol

katy scarlett

• Hero Talker
  • Ferocious Pom!! lol
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 12:35:45 AM »

With all the teams competing for gym time (and the weight room), i think it sucks. Also, I feel bad for Mrs. Kohn from Airport. I graduated from Airport and remember when they made her give up track because "it was too much for her health". She was very annoyed! And now she had to give up cc because of the season change? Thats bs. Mikey (Schley) is a great coach and teacher, but Mrs. Kohn lives to coach. Shes been at AHS since  the 70's, and is probably one of the healthiest, most in shape people I know.
Go Cowboys!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up