MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Recipe Exchange > Dinner tonite

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 277   Go Down

Author Topic: Dinner tonite  (Read 197039 times)

PXaiver

Re: Dinner tonite
« Reply #1230 on: June 15, 2010, 09:38:41 PM »

I'm not a huge butter fan.  I understand using a little to enhance the flavor of the corn but the idea of something being butter soaked is really gross to me. I think I just needed to get some better corn.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #1231 on: June 15, 2010, 10:35:37 PM »

I soaked it for 12 hours and didn't shuck it.  I fired up the grill and put it on for about a half hour.  Everyone I spoke to raved about how it would taste but I didn't think it was that great.

I think soaking for 12 hours! is too long.  They just have to be wet . . .

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #1232 on: June 15, 2010, 10:37:26 PM »

It's tough to get good corn this time of year.  Another month and you should have all kinds of places selling good, locally grown (or maybe from close to Michigan) corn.  Tastes much better than what's available now, from Florida.

Normally water-soaked corn will taste good - but it tastes very different from boiled corn, and sometimes has a charred, smoky flavor.  I've even roasted young field corn this way, and it was good.

Shaggy, was the corn oily?  Maybe it had something to do with the oil spill...   ;)
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1233 on: June 15, 2010, 10:40:29 PM »

I'm not a huge butter fan.  I understand using a little to enhance the flavor of the corn but the idea of something being butter soaked is really gross to me. I think I just needed to get some better corn.
So, butter is gross, but dirty, hairy, smelly hippie chicks are good? N'kay, I'm disregarding your culinary opinion now!  :D

Baby Hitler

« Reply #1234 on: June 16, 2010, 01:39:52 AM »

No matter who you are, there's only one opinion that matters.

And the corn deal, cooking in butter probably isn't the healthiest thing to do, but I guess if you only do it once in a while, you could treat yourself now and then.

But I could think of some tastier treats than butter.

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #1235 on: June 16, 2010, 06:41:06 AM »

But I could think of some tastier treats than butter.

Hmmmm.....  Me too!   ;D

The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

PXaiver

« Reply #1236 on: June 16, 2010, 06:48:15 AM »

I didn't say butter was gross I said that anything soaked in butter was gross.  If you're soaking something in butter you're obviously trying to hide the flavor of what you're eating so what you cooked can't be that good to begin with.  Come on now, think.

As for the hippie chicks, I'm just an equal opportunity employer and, like I get cravings for different types of food, I get cravings for different types of women.  I look at life as a buffet in all aspects. 

Live the corn tasted a little green.  Next time I do it I'm going to try a few different things.  Everyone told me the corn should taste a little charred but still delicious.  I think the main problem was the quality of the corn.  I got it from that market you suggested so I figured it would be good, but its not in season yet. 

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1237 on: June 16, 2010, 07:55:05 AM »

Oh, good grief! Perhaps I should say "laced" with butter. Better?  8* I apologize for my poor word choice. You guys sound like your arteries are clogging just reading about it! LOL  Sorry, but fresh corn tastes best with good ol' butter and salt.

And butter is not bad to cook with, as long as you balance it with good olive oil or peanut oil. Margarine is just chemicals, and lard (including bacon grease) is very unhealthy.

Just curious, what the heck do YOU put on your corn if you don't like butter?! Mayonnaise? Maybe grape jelly??  :-X

MM1

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1238 on: June 16, 2010, 08:07:16 AM »

Really? ? ?  Arguments even in the Dinner Tonite thread ? ? ? ?   HAHAHAHAHAH  How funny!

Last night I worked late and didn't have time for a big dinner so I had a bowl of Special K laced with milk then sprinkled with an ever so light dusting of pure cane sugar.   :D

BTW:  I don't put anything on corn.  Cob or otherwise.  No butter.  No salt.  Just corn.

And, no matter how you dress it up before hand, I don't like grilled corn on the cob. 

Many do.  I don't. 

PXaiver

« Reply #1239 on: June 16, 2010, 08:15:01 AM »

If I do put anything on corn its a very light coat of butter, but normally I just leave it plain.  If the corn is good it doesn't need any doctoring. 

choff4

• Hero Talker
  • R.I.P. Ina
« Reply #1240 on: June 16, 2010, 09:17:04 AM »

From time to time I use spray butter but only if the  corn isn't very tasty otherwise the only thing I put on my corn is my MOUTH.

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1241 on: June 16, 2010, 09:37:44 AM »

This thread is making me so hungry! For dinner tonight I'm going to eat a stick of butter! Maybe two!!  :D :D :D

choff4

• Hero Talker
  • R.I.P. Ina
« Reply #1242 on: June 16, 2010, 09:43:46 AM »

We are having recycled soup. (Thanks BRD);)

PXaiver

« Reply #1243 on: June 16, 2010, 09:45:09 AM »

Go for three, and make sure you go to U of M hospital when you need heart surgery.  Work is slowing down and any help getting more implants done is welcome ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:52:07 AM by The Shaggy Marlin »

MonroeGal

• Hero Talker
  • Smurf-tastic!
« Reply #1244 on: June 16, 2010, 09:47:02 AM »

Not sure what's for dinner yet. This thread always makes me hungry....not for butter though lol. All this corn talk makes me want some.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 277   Go Up