MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Recipe Exchange > Dinner tonite

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 277   Go Down

Author Topic: Dinner tonite  (Read 196900 times)

arpydave

• Hero Talker
Re: Dinner tonite
« Reply #1425 on: July 02, 2010, 11:11:21 AM »

Since it's friday it's carryout nite.  Gonna try Dundee Country Kitchen for the first time.  The old lady had a bite of my son's grinder from there and was impressed.  I'll update y'all.

BTW:  big bags of Kingsford charcoal on sale again at Lowe's , buy 1 get 1 free (works out to about $4.24 per bag).
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

PXaiver

« Reply #1426 on: July 02, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »

Since it's friday it's carryout nite.  Gonna try Dundee Country Kitchen for the first time.  The old lady had a bite of my son's grinder from there and was impressed.  I'll update y'all.

BTW:  big bags of Kingsford charcoal on sale again at Lowe's , buy 1 get 1 free (works out to about $4.24 per bag).

I'm on it.  Thanks Dave.  I missed the last one.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1427 on: July 02, 2010, 09:42:09 PM »

Sea scallops and whitefish on the grill...

just added lemon pepper and pepper...

no salt except what is already in the lemon pepper mix...

mixed fruit salad with pecans in Greek Gods Yogurt with honey...

cantaloupe...

I was at the doctor this morning...

my LDL cholesterol was at 40 (good for adults is at 100, good for diabetics is 70-80)...

so mine was excellent...   and this is how it got that way 8) 8) 8)

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #1428 on: July 02, 2010, 09:44:51 PM »

Good for you, BRD!

It is possible to cook tasty food without ingesting so much sodium.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1429 on: July 02, 2010, 09:46:56 PM »

Good for you, BRD!

It is possible to cook tasty food without ingesting so much sodium.

sure is Fuzz...   and the recipe called for added salt...   my first comment when I tried it was "why"???
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #1430 on: July 02, 2010, 09:54:37 PM »

I try to play around with different combinations of herbs to add taste to food since my wife really struggles with high blood pressure.  Phoenix being home for the summer has brought back some combinations cooking middle eastern food that are on the low sodium side, but still adds a robust flavor to different foods.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1431 on: July 03, 2010, 09:11:05 AM »

YW Shag.

I know the Lowe's price because that's where I get my other charcoal, "Cowboy Coal".  A bit more pricey.  Cowboy don't have that petroleum (even Kingsfords not "Match Start" stuff has some) seems to impart a flavor.  I saw a segment on some show telling you how Kingsford is made.  Yuck.

I use Kingsford as a base and to crank up my smoker/grill.  I'm doing burgers or something quick? Kingsford.  Cost effective.

Getting my smoker side up to temp?  Kingsford.

Gonna cook low and slow?

Kingsford initially, then Cowboy from then on.  I don't have access or resources to properly have smoking "logs" (i.e. hickory limbs).  Cowboy is straight up charred hardwood, no additives or hidden flavors (good or bad).  I can feed my smoker with it as needed without some grey plume coming out like ya get with Kingsford.  I just add some lump apple, etc. from Meijer's for the smoke.

The Ace Hardware flyer we just got shows Cowboy on sale there, at a good price.  Didn't know they carried it until after I bought mine from Lowe's.  I'll be checking out my local Ace and if they truly have it I'll be stocking up!   :P :P :P :P Sounds like a really good price.  ;)

Like I said if your gonna grill over coals that 1 batch will carry you over, like burgers, dogs and steaks, you may not want to pop the bucks for Cowboy.  Once the coals are grey Kingsford essentially has lost it's IMO nasty aroma.  But if you're gonna feed the fire, feed it with Cowboy Charcoal.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1432 on: July 03, 2010, 12:02:11 PM »

Here's an article with video on cooking sweet corn on the grill...  with or without the husks...

http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/06/16/how-to-grill-corn/?icid=main|hp-laptop|dl4|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kitchendaily.com%2F2010%2F06%2F16%2Fhow-to-grill-corn%2F

I saw that the corner market on M-151 at Strasburg Rd in Erie will be open on Tuesday and have Smith Brothers sweet corn available.

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1433 on: July 03, 2010, 05:43:47 PM »

FB: Karma or Kudos to you.

For a nonpolitical thread, how refreshing to have somebody compliment another.  Thank You Sir (capital S)  :)

My point was only to pass on info and help others.  My opinion on Kingsford after seeing that segment was secondary.   >:( >:( >:(

Hopefully on the nonpolitical threads we can keep it to the "if you don't have anyting nice to say, don't say it".

Heck, I use that motto (and the 24 hr. rule) on many threads.  But I break it sometimes!   8*

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1434 on: July 03, 2010, 06:26:06 PM »

Tonight dinner is pizza from Giusseppe's 8) 8) 8)

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1435 on: July 03, 2010, 07:09:50 PM »

FB: Karma or Kudos to you.

For a nonpolitical thread, how refreshing to have somebody compliment another.  Thank You Sir (capital S)  :)

My point was only to pass on info and help others.  My opinion on Kingsford after seeing that segment was secondary.   >:( >:( >:(

Hopefully on the nonpolitical threads we can keep it to the "if you don't have anyting nice to say, don't say it".

Heck, I use that motto (and the 24 hr. rule) on many threads.  But I break it sometimes!   8*
Dave, I bought a big bag of hickory "logettes" at Meijer this spring. Don't live in Monroe, so don't know if they have it there. Depending on the size of your smoker, you may have to break them down some, but they were cheaper than the small bags you usually find at retailers.

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1436 on: July 04, 2010, 09:39:24 AM »

Sammy: thanks, but I haven't seen that in this area.

As soon as I finish this post I'm firing up the smoker (yup, Kingsford) to do a big 'ol pork shoulder.  Later after it smokes in apple wood it wil turn into pulled pork BBQ

The Phoenix

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1437 on: July 07, 2010, 01:49:31 PM »

BRD, Greek Gods yogurt is a staple for me. I love it! I'm out of it and now after reading your post I'm having an incredible craving!

I've seen at Claudia's in Toledo that they have frozen yogurt as well. I really want to try it!

Dinner tonight will probably be a tofu Kefir strawberrry smoothie or a salad. With Fuzz out of town I'm not cooking.
"They say your brain is a comic book tattoo." Tori Amos

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1438 on: July 11, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »

A roast will be seared on that grill and then gets happy and smoked on the smoker side.  Roast will be finished in the oven tomorrow.

While the roast is getting happy and smoked, for tonight it will be pork chops that marinated over night in Russian dressing on that grill.

I don't let them coals go to waste! 

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #1439 on: July 16, 2010, 08:51:44 PM »

Steak and sweet potato with a side salad with a tomato that tasted GREAT!!  First time a tomato has tasted that great in over a year!  I hope they all have that sweet flavor for the rest of the season!
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 277   Go Up