MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Does Lake Erie still Freeze?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Lake Erie still Freeze?  (Read 6106 times)

tampachicken

Does Lake Erie still Freeze?
« on: December 15, 2008, 03:01:13 PM »

I am just curious...

I have been gone for over 20 years... I really don't know what lake Erie is like anymore. I know it has always been thermal polluted to some extent, and was thinking that it should be less since there is not as much manufacturing as there once was...  Does the lake still freeze enough to drive on it?

In the 1960's my uncle used to load us up in his 65 Caddy with kids, and take us out driving on the lake... He would do donuts.. stuff like that.  I remember a lot of people would be out on the lake ice fishing.

He would drive out the boat ramp at bolls harbor... of course we could never tell our mother he did such a thing.. my mother would of had a stroke!   I am just curious......

Greg Chamberlain

• Hero Talker
Re: Does Lake Erie still Freeze?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 03:14:25 PM »

No ice is safe.
"To preserve the freedom of the human mind then and freedom of the press, every spirit should be ready to devote itself to martyrdom; for as long as we may think as we will, and speak as we think, the condition of man will proceed in improvement." - Thomas Jefferson

DaisyDuke726

• Hero Talker
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »

I don't ever recall seeing anyone driving on any lake here in Monroe so my guess is that in the 20's you've been gone and in those same 20 years that I've been living here that the lake does not freeze that much anymore.
"For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul."
- Judy Garland

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 03:34:05 PM »

I am just curious...

I have been gone for over 20 years... I really don't know what lake Erie is like anymore. I know it has always been thermal polluted to some extent, and was thinking that it should be less since there is not as much manufacturing as there once was...  Does the lake still freeze enough to drive on it?

In the 1960's my uncle used to load us up in his 65 Caddy with kids, and take us out driving on the lake... He would do donuts.. stuff like that.  I remember a lot of people would be out on the lake ice fishing.

He would drive out the boat ramp at bolls harbor... of course we could never tell our mother he did such a thing.. my mother would of had a stroke!   I am just curious......

I had a friend who grew up on Kelly's Island and he said it was common when he was a kid that trucks would deliver fuel out to the island. 

I moved here nearly 15 years ago, and I've yet to see it freeze over out here in the Western Basin.

I have been fishing/boating since I moved here, and can honestly say that the clarity of the lake has gotten better by the year (provided no strong winds to stir the lake up, and no recent heavy rains that carry sediment into the lake).  I have noticed that I can identify a sheephead from a walleye much quicker than in past years as I drag them in off the bottom....lol.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 03:53:33 PM »

When I was a boy living on Detroit Beach it still froze pretty well. We would take the four wheeler and the ice shanties out on the lake. Haven't been able to do that in at least 10 years though.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

tampachicken

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:26:48 PM »

Yes I guess it would be from the power plants.....  I remember a friend of my dad's had an old truck with the floor rusted out.. so there was these big holes in it...  That was his ice fishing truck!

Oh well... I guess if you want to go ice fishing you would have to do it on an inland lake... and since it does not freeze well enough.. I guess it stops people from getting cought on an ice flow.. That use to happen.. people out late in the year, especially after the ice cutters would open up the shipping lanes..the ice would break off and then start floating towards Cleveland... yep they would have to rescue the people off of the ice and there cars/trucks would have to stay behind.....

Oh well just memories.....

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 06:29:48 PM »

yep they would have to rescue the people off of the ice and there cars/trucks would have to stay behind.....

Now that would be a sight to see.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

Skippy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 10:12:02 PM »

I grew up right on the lake. As long as you're north of the Detroit Edison plant you get pretty good ice that you can walk/fish on. A lot of people go out onto the ice in Brest Bay regularly all winter.The discharge water from the plant tends to flow south and makes ice from the plant south pretty unstable. You may have several inches one day and open water the next.  :)

Mike Ingels

• Hero Talker
    • Expatriate Monroe
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 10:34:59 PM »

Yes.  It does freeze over pretty consistently.  I've hiked the shore for years at places like Pointe Mouillee, the Woodtick Peninsula and Pointe Aux Peaux and I honestly can't remember a recent year in which it hasn't frozen pretty much completely over.

Erie, btw, is the most likely of the Great Lakes to freeze over.  It has less water than any other Great Lake and that means it gets warmer in the summer and colder in the winter than any of the lakes.  If you want to see something cool, hike out to the tip of Pointe Mouillee on a zero degree day in January.  It is what I imagine hiking through the Arctic is like.  But it is VERY cool.  One time I saw three tugboats clearing ice for freighters at the Detroit River Light.

You mention the power plants and they are a whole different animal.  The warm water discharges at Fermi, DTE and the Erie Whiting plant generally stay open the entire winter.  That means that many area birds congregate there.

Occasionally, if the winds are right, a giant shelf of ice will break from the North side of the lake and crash into the ice shelves on the south side of the lake.  The result is kind of like plate techtonics.  You'll get massive uplift in the ice and many interior ice caves.
The world is basically good.

Griff

• Hero Talker
  • Oor Wullie
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 03:47:10 PM »

I remember as a kid in the early and mid-60's my uncles would have ice boat races from the Ottawa river out to one of the islands and back.

Lots of drinking as I recall....

peace,
Griff
"No man's life or liberty is safe while the Legislature is in session." ~Mark Twain

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 05:04:29 PM »

I remember as a kid in the early and mid-60's my uncles would have ice boat races from the Ottawa river out to one of the islands and back.

peace,
Griff

Indian Island or Gard Island, maybe even Turtle Island...

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Chips

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 05:44:24 PM »

- 1 degree right now.
I would bet that it will freeze.
So, how's that
“hope” and “change”
working out for you?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 06:01:03 PM »

peace,
Griff

The lots of drinking hint may indicate they were racing to Turtle Island...   it's further east than the picture above shows...

When we moved here in the early 80's there was a bar in the Ottawa River at Point Place named "the Turtle Club"...  it was built on an old barge...   I had heard that at one time it was anchored at Turtle Island and that is how it got it's name...  any more history on that from anybody should count on the new MT Monroe County History page since Turtle Island is right on the State Line...

More info at:

http://www.captain-johns.com/Ohio/turtlehistory.pdf 

ell

• Hero Talker
  • Nothing beats a good paddle
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »

I remember people driving on lake Erie when I was young.

I have not seen it frozen solid like that since I was young.

Too much run off from Edison & Fermi ?   :-\

Fermi does not discharge into the lake.  There's plenty of ice during the winter off Fermi and Estral Beach.  I think one of the biggest reasons we don't get the freezes like we used to it that the lake level has remained fairly high.  When I was a kid growing up in the beaches, seems like the lake was covered from Christmas until March.  People would drive on the lake, of course the chance to recover your vehicle then was pretty high.  Now you would have to pay for the recovery and any perceived damages.  I imagine a fine might be involved.  And I don't believe your insurance would cover your loss.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thouroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 09:23:52 AM »

Last week there was a construction project going on over around Port Clinton, OH.  They had to bring in an ice breaker tugboat from Cleveland in order to move the steel around for the project.  Then they were delayed a couple of days because of the unusual number of ice shanties and ice fishermen in the area. 

I saw something on TV last night...  might have been from the space station...  showing how almost all of the great lakes are frozen over this year. 

And what isn't just may get the chance with the temps we're facing in the next few days :o :o :o

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up