MonroeTalks.com > About MonroeTalks.com > Getting Started & Site News > FinditMonroe.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: FinditMonroe.com  (Read 9676 times)

Administration

• Web Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Talker
    • MonroeTalks.com
FinditMonroe.com
« on: December 17, 2008, 12:21:53 PM »

We'd like to announce the newest website by The Monroe Publishing Company:     FinditMonroe.com 

What is FinditMonroe.com?
- FinditMonroe.com is a searchable database website of every business in Monroe County.   The website allows you to search by category for a business, much like you would do with the Yellow Pages. Registered users can leave a rating and review about an experience they had with a business. The site will help consumers make business decisions, and help businesses in gaining customers.   

How can MonroeTalks users contribute? 
- Sign up for a basic user account and rate/review a business. Next time you're out at a local restaurant, get an oil change, visit the dentist, call a plumber, or anything to do with a local business - sign on to FinditMonroe.com and post a review. All reviews are run through a moderation process, so please be as thorough as possible with your review. Please be sure to check out the tips section on the review page, for specific instructions on reviewing a business.   

Thanks for checking out FinditMonroe.com, we look forward to hearing your feedback!
MonroeTalks.com Administration

Administration

• Web Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Talker
    • MonroeTalks.com
Re: FinditMonroe.com
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 05:57:45 PM »

Looks like we found our first bug.   The email confirmations going to your email, are actually probably ending up in your junk mail.   If you signed up, please check your junk mail for the confirmation email.   We'll work on getting this fixed ASAP!      Thanks everyone. 

DJDOG

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 07:08:12 PM »

Looks like we found our first bug.   The email confirmations going to your email, are actually probably ending up in your junk mail.   If you signed up, please check your junk mail for the confirmation email.   We'll work on getting this fixed ASAP!      Thanks everyone. 

Are you using PHP mail() function?

If so I don't recommend it;

Use SMTP (Can find a free SMTP class around to make it work.)

Did a check on your DNS
http://www.intodns.com/finditmonroe.com

Some of your MX do not work properly (Needs to be set locally (Option by root and/or reseller if host allows permission to edit your DNS entry)

Eg. Number of MX records      OK. Looks like you only have one MX record at your nameservers. You should be carefull about what you are doing since you have a single point of failure that can lead to mail being lost if the server is down for a long time.

On fixing your issues, The captcha (The human image identifier image) You shouldn't use pre-made ones anymore, As they're easily bypassed - Everyone is switching to recaptcha.net (Free and basically replace and insert a new code.) Once you setup your account.

riversbend again

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »

I did visit this site when I first saw it on the upper right corner of the page today.
I was hoping there would be a short description of the business.
IE: what a store carries, hours, days open or closed.

There were a couple of things on there that I didn't know exist in Monroe. It would be nice to know a little more about the business.

Hopefully, in time, that sort of thing will be added.

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:17:46 PM »

Any chance you could just link the monroetalks usernames and the finditmonroe usernames so that an account on either gives access to both. That way we all don't have to register at another website.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

m0x

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:41:08 PM »

Finally! I claimed my business and got to tell people about another business that is really bad to their dealers, customers, and potentially hazardous. Fair warning, hopefully someone will read it before they get hurt in her unplowed parking lot this winter.

Lethlweapn

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 08:54:38 PM »

Finally! I claimed my business and got to tell people about another business that is really bad to their dealers, customers, and potentially hazardous. Fair warning, hopefully someone will read it before they get hurt in her unplowed parking lot this winter.
Which category is it under? I can't find it. :P

Lethlweapn

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 08:59:16 PM »

The link is on the front page:
http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage
No I was talking about the Antique Mall. ;)

Lethlweapn

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 09:03:51 PM »

zard0z

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 09:05:50 PM »

Any chance you could just link the monroetalks usernames and the finditmonroe usernames so that an account on either gives access to both. That way we all don't have to register at another website.

I like that idea, I tried to sign up, but never got a confirmation e-mail... :-\

Lethlweapn

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 09:18:55 PM »

I like that idea, I tried to sign up, but never got a confirmation e-mail... :-\
Check your junk mail. LOL ;)

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 09:21:43 PM »

The reviews look like paid endorsements

They probably are.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

m0x

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 09:46:49 PM »

I would like to actually retract a review of a place. is there any way to do this?

Administration

• Web Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Talker
    • MonroeTalks.com
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 10:26:31 PM »

Wow, retract a review..  good question.  Send an email to the site through the "feedback" link at the bottom of FIM, or PM the Admin mtalks account and we'll take care of it. 

Again, we'll be working on the "junk" email registration issue first thing Thursday morning.   

Please sign onto the site and post your review about a local business you've recently interacted with.  If you get a chance, try a keyword search, you'll probably find just about every business in the county listed.   If you see one that isn't in the list, please let us know!   There's  a link at the bottom of the site to let us know of a business that isn't in the database.    We also need your help in updating our database.  It's pretty recent, but if you see a business that isn't open anymore, let us know!   

Thanks again for your feedback!  Keep it coming. 

m0x

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 10:29:41 PM »

I submitted a question. Though she has been terrible to her people and it was all truth, i don't want to hold grudges
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up