MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Religion & Philosophy > "Giftmas".....We need a new National Holiday

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Giftmas".....We need a new National Holiday  (Read 6081 times)

Whizzer

• New Talker
  • Ask about my Whizzer!
"Giftmas".....We need a new National Holiday
« on: December 26, 2008, 11:07:32 AM »

If you went to Church Dec. 25th. I guess you were celebrating Christmas.
If you didn't go to Church, what were you celebrating?
That's why I think we need a new National Holiday....Giftmas!
With out Christ in the picture, lets just cut the crap and call it Giftmas.
Save "Silent Night" Oh Holy Night, We three Kings and the rest of the religious songs for Christmas.
Jingle Bells, Rudolf the red nose reindeer, Frosty the snowman and Here comes Santa Clause for Giftmas.
With "Giftmas" Jews, Moslums,Hindus, Buddhists, even aithiest can enjoy a great Holiday.
Every Economy in the world could enjoy their own "Black Friday"!
When the going gets tough!!!
I take a nap....

__Resurgam__

Re: "Giftmas".....We need a new National Holiday
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 11:17:29 AM »

How dare there be a Christian Holiday with the word Christ in it. I mean, it even causes atheists have a day off!  :o Terrible.  :-\

The ACLU will support your idea.

zard0z

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 11:19:36 AM »

If you went to Church Dec. 25th. I guess you were celebrating Christmas.
If you didn't go to Church, what were you celebrating?
That's why I think we need a new National Holiday....Giftmas!
With out Christ in the picture, lets just cut the crap and call it Giftmas.
Save "Silent Night" Oh Holy Night, We three Kings and the rest of the religious songs for Christmas.
Jingle Bells, Rudolf the red nose reindeer, Frosty the snowman and Here comes Santa Clause for Giftmas.
With "Giftmas" Jews, Moslums,Hindus, Buddhists, even aithiest can enjoy a great Holiday.
Every Economy in the world could enjoy their own "Black Friday"!

Jesus wasn't born on December 25th, so quit your bitchin'...Enjoy your holiday how every you feel it's necessary to celebrate and get off of everyone else's back... :P

Whizzer

• New Talker
  • Ask about my Whizzer!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 11:25:04 AM »

Jesus wasn't born on December 25th, so quit your bitchin'...Enjoy your holiday how every you feel it's necessary to celebrate and get off of everyone else's back... Tongue

There ya go! Spoken in the true spirit of "Giftmas"
When the going gets tough!!!
I take a nap....

zard0z

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 12:24:03 PM »

There ya go! Spoken in the true spirit of "Giftmas"

So what's your point, you want everyone to be down and gloomy all locked up in a church somewhere like the puritans thought Christmas should be...So much for wanting to make someone happy and have a good time.

You have NO idea what Christmas means to me so your comments of your interpretation of the what I'm calling the "true" spirit of Christmas is big insult, big deal, people go out and buy gifts on Christmas, heaven forbid we actually boost the economy in any way...Get off your high horse and let people celebrate they way THEY want to, is that so hard to understand or deal with...GO TO CHURCH if that's what YOU want to do.  Do NOT impose your beliefs or traditions on anyone else.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 12:29:37 PM »

I say we create a holiday called "JanJayness" where we all act stupid and post irrelevant stuff and harass the county until we all have PPO's against us.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

cc

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 12:35:35 PM »

OK OK I will make the sacrifice so that all can have a day and buy presents  - we keep Christmas though.   We can have "cc day"  and ya' all can buy me presents.  I am easy to buy for - appreciate everything.  There - we can all be happy now!   ;D

TheShepherd

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 12:47:40 PM »

OK OK I will make the sacrifice so that all can have a day and buy presents  - we keep Christmas though.   We can have "cc day"  and ya' all can buy me presents.  I am easy to buy for - appreciate everything.  There - we can all be happy now!   ;D

And charitable donations could be made to the Feed Shep's Kids Fund. We all need reasons to shop and feel the joy. ;) ;D
"The Backyard Gardener"

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/backyard/

To be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in the spring- these are some of the rewards of the simple life.   John Burroughs  [1837-1921]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DJR-Creations/188968480501?ref=nf

bloo II

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 05:51:04 PM »

I don't know, I am not a christian, but I thought the "giving" part, no matter if it was a gift, time, a shoulder to cry on, done at Christmas time in the spirit of Christ.
It was my understanding that Christ was a very giving person, and people began to give at this time in celebration of him. I know nothing, so I could be totally wrong.  :-\

As far as I've studied, Christmas is a purely pagan celebration in origin. The Christian element is fairly recent addition, and only began about 300 years after Jesus died. That's why I always snicker inwardly to the chant "Jesus is the reason for the season," because it couldn't be farther from the truth! It's originally a celebration for the return of longer days and more sunlight.
Love me or hate me, I'm still gonna shine.

__Resurgam__

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »

As far as I've studied, Christmas is a purely pagan celebration in origin. The Christian element is fairly recent addition, and only began about 300 years after Jesus died. That's why I always snicker inwardly to the chant "Jesus is the reason for the season," because it couldn't be farther from the truth! It's originally a celebration for the return of longer days and more sunlight.
To the Christian, Christ is the reason they celebrate, so it's perfectly right to say, for them, that Christ is the reason. The apostle Paul said, "To the pure all things are pure." I don't worry about what this and that and what the origin may be, for if the heart is pure in its observance of such things, then let it be pure without trouble of conscience. In pureness of heart, my celebration of Christmas is because of Christ, which means my celebration is pure with no worry of defilement.

There are some who profess Christ who get worked up over a Christmas tree, stating its pagan origins. But that's all nonsense for the weak. The apostle Paul said it was no sin for him to eat things sacrificed to idols, because he knew idols were mere wood and metal, and food is food. He showed that those who could not eat of such things with an untroubled conscience were weak in faith.

Let the weak in faith worry about the pagan origins of some Christmas practises, but let the pure do as they will in pureness of heart unto God and He will accept their offerings of love.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 06:15:43 PM by __Resurgam__ »

gefiltefish

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 11:04:35 AM »

DOES IT REALLY MATTER WHAT DAY, MONTH OR YEAR THAT CHRIST WAS BORN.

HE WAS BORN!!  CELEBRATE HIS BIRTH WHEN, WHERE AND HOW YOU CHOOSE.

BETTER YET; IF YOU ARE TRULY A CHRISTIAN, THEN CELEBRATE HIS BIRTH EVERY DAY AND EVERY HOUR.

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »

Back off Christmas!
God sent his son Jesus to save us, and we observe his birth on Dec. 25. Maybe he was born that day, maybe he wasn't. I've not seen one bit of evidence to prove he wasn't.
If the foundation breaks, the house will fall.
This country was built and stands on the rock of God.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »

"Jesus is the reason for the season,"

Every year the KFC on Telegraph puts on their sign "Jesus is the Reason for the Season". Being KFC, it should totally be "Jesus is the reasoning for the seasoning."

Just sayin'.
your mom goes to college.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 12:08:05 PM »

Back off Christmas!
God sent his son Jesus to save us, and we observe his birth on Dec. 25. Maybe he was born that day, maybe he wasn't. I've not seen one bit of evidence to prove he wasn't.
I have no proof he was. Or that he even existed. I suppose we're at an impasse!

I suppose he's ineligible to run for President then.

If the foundation breaks, the house will fall.
This country was built and stands on the rock of God.

Which one, the Quaker god, the Lutheran god, or the Puritan god?
your mom goes to college.

__Resurgam__

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 12:45:50 PM »

Every year the KFC on Telegraph puts on their sign "Jesus is the Reason for the Season". Being KFC, it should totally be "Jesus is the reasoning for the seasoning."

Just sayin'.

Lol. That would be funny.

Which one, the Quaker god, the Lutheran god, or the Puritan god?
All the above.

"One Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all." Eph 4.

There are some denominations that I have some big differences with, like the Catholic branch, but I'm sure all who put their trust in Christ are His, and I love them all. God is a God of variation and even though there are some differences in the branches of Christianity, all the stars have a glory of their own.

"There is one glory of the sun, another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory." 1 Cor 15
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up