MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Announcing: The Monroe Evening News eEdition!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Announcing: The Monroe Evening News eEdition!  (Read 3795 times)

Paula Wethington

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
    • The Monroe News
Re: Announcing: The Monroe Evening News eEdition!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 11:31:10 AM »

question on the board:

I know of several people who have moved out of state and enjoy at least reading the headlines, obituaries, etc on line.  I am sure they will be disappointed that the service will no longer be available without  a fee. 

I think you misunderstood. This is a new program, it's not going to take away from what we already offer.

The e-edition service is set up for electronic readers who want same-day access to "the entire newspaper" in the same layout and format that the print readers see it.

The current monroenews.com web site with headlines, obituaries, classifieds and videos will continue to be available at no charge. But we've had requests for the articles and features that aren't going on the web site. The answer is the e-edition.
Newsroom digital team leader member, reporter for The Monroe News
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/MonroeNewsPaula

Alice Greenfinger

• New Talker
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 04:54:01 PM »

I don't seem to ever be able to read the paper on the day it is printed.
I downloaded all the issues and it is really nice that you can go back and look at them any time.

I was not sure how many issues would be kept available, so thought I'd better get them just in case.
They are much better PDF.
So sharp and clear and right in your face.
Being able to adjust the font size is really nice for people who have vision problems and didn't read before, like a neighbor of mine.

Then just delete when you are done.
No inky fingers and no stacks of papers for the garbage.
Actually, MEN is saving bucks with this.
No paper, no ink, no carrier, less employees?

Coffee.Mom

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 04:00:12 PM »

One question that I haven't seen answered regarding the eEdition yet is: what about the ads/coupons/Parade magazine that many people subscribe to the Sunday paper for? How will they get these via the eEdition?

Also, I have a kid who is a news carrier . . . sounds like this could definitely put carriers out of work . . . but I can understand how an eEdition would be an advantage to many customers . . .

I'm sorry for those of you have had poor service from your carriers, but our child has received compliments/tips for good service . . . we have experienced things from the OTHER end, in which some customers put the kid off when collecting is attempted, tell the kid to come back at a certain time and then they're not home, still dont' have the money, etc. . . . it's SO much easier when customers pay through the office and carriers don't have to mess with collecting . . .

And tell me again how much the eEdition will cost? Right now, carriers who collect payments are told to charge $9.00 per month for customers who get the paper weekends only (Fri.-Sun.)  and $15.25 for 7-day-a-week delivery.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 04:03:55 PM »

One question that I haven't seen answered regarding the eEdition yet is: what about the ads/coupons/Parade magazine that many people subscribe to the Sunday paper for? How will they get these via the eEdition?

Also, I have a kid who is a news carrier . . . sounds like this could definitely put carriers out of work . . . but I can understand how an eEdition would be an advantage to many customers . . .

I'm sorry for those of you have had poor service from your carriers, but our child has received compliments/tips for good service . . . we have experienced things from the OTHER end, in which some customers put the kid off when collecting is attempted, tell the kid to come back at a certain time and then they're not home, still dont' have the money, etc. . . . it's SO much easier when customers pay through the office and carriers don't have to mess with collecting . . .

And tell me again how much the eEdition will cost? Right now, carriers who collect payments are told to charge $9.00 per month for customers who get the paper weekends only (Fri.-Sun.)  and $15.25 for 7-day-a-week delivery.

I thought I saw a reply about not including any of the "inserts" which I took to include coupons or the Parage Magazine or probably the TV book...

iCoffeeMom...   I'd even give a kid a break...  but ours is a motor route and our carrier looks just as old as I am...   just hit me, maybe that explains it....   memory problems....   2nd to go ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 09:21:08 PM »

Just to compare notes and compile everything onto one post……

Reply #4 said “If I'm not mistaken, the eEdition will still be available to 7-day subscribers at no charge after October. A small fee would be charged for non-subscribers (the exact amount, I do not know at this time), but registering during the free trial does not obligate you to pay.

The registration does require you to provide your name and address (your information will not be shared or sold). After October, this information will be used to match to our print subscriber accounts (so that the system can recognize subscribers and not ask them for payment.)

If you have any problems or specific questions with it, feel free to email me and I'll get back to you as soon as possible or forward your question on to someone who can help.

The eEdition publication schedule at this time is as follows:

Weekdays: new edition at 3pm
Saturdays: 5am
Sunday: 3am

P.S. The eEdition itself is in a special web format, but pages (and the paper) are downloadable as PDFs for those of you who want to save it.”

Reply #10 said “The price will be news stand price for single copies, or $9.75 a month. Inserts are not included. As long as you registered using the same account you have on file for your newspaper account, you will have access to the e-edition for free.
The trial term is actually for 30 days from launch, on October 8th - so sometime the week of November 4th, the trial will expire.”

Reply #17 said “carriers who collect payments are told to charge $9.00 per month for customers who get the paper weekends only (Fri.-Sun.) and $15.25 for 7-day-a-week delivery.”

We send our $16.50 directly to the office for 8 weeks of weekend deliveries ($8.25 a month)

I haven’t looked at the eEdition yet but I haven’t completely read the paper edition either because I like to save something to read if I have to wait for whatever reason.

I doubt we’ll see a mass exodus from the paper edition anyway since manufacturers fear coupon abuse from people replicating them and it’s not easy to scan the sales ads on the ‘net should they become available.

P.S. Our middle aged carrier has been doing a great job.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up