MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Religion & Philosophy > Islamophobia

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Islamophobia  (Read 180 times)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Islamophobia
« on: January 30, 2015, 05:47:32 PM »

Two Hindu men were recently kicked out of a gun range in Arizona called the Fun Cave Indoor Firing Range. The range claims to be a "Muslim-free" zone. The men claim the owner treated them as suspicious Muslims; she claims she ousted them for safety reasons.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeL7HRHQeMg

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: Islamophobia
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 06:24:37 PM »

It's being seen in France and other parts of Europe, and probably has been here for a while.....probably since September 11, 2001 or so.

It was/is bound to happen......racism has been around since the beginning of time, and will be here the day there is no human life on the planet.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 05:52:26 AM »

Fear is not the emotion that comes to mind...
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 09:49:36 AM »

It's being seen in France and other parts of Europe, and probably has been here for a while.....probably since September 11, 2001 or so.

It was/is bound to happen......racism has been around since the beginning of time, and will be here the day there is no human life on the planet.
It's a natural occurrence from all the publicity and actions of the radical Islamist - that people are uneasy around any Arabs...   

Until the Islamic Faith Leadership addresses their own rogue "leaders" by removing their religious "Titles", and then allowing the world to address the problems they face by a mutiny in their own religion - nothing can be done. 

It's the 500lb Elephant in the room that world leaders are unsure how to handle. 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 10:00:04 AM »

I agree........I catch myself looking at everybody in the boarding area when getting on a plane, and if I see someone of Middle East dissent I tend to watch where they seat themselves.  Inadvertent, being vigilant, outright racist?......IDK! 

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 10:22:55 AM »

We "as a collective" of many faiths - decry the bad acts of those who claim to be religious leaders here in the US...  none which rise to the degree of killing innocents in the name of religion (terrorism)
The religion that protested the war at funerals comes to mind
The radical reverends who support rioting and looting... based on race incidents.

I don't recall hearing any Imam's or Ayatollahs condemning acts or calling for a removal of official title of those involved in terrorism - (do they even have a hierarchy or can you call yourself whatever you want?)

I'm sure someone (fry) can find one - but collectively they remain rather silent.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 10:51:09 AM »

It could be that just through centuries of violence between the multiple sects of the Muslim religion that leaders are not accustomed to speaking in terms of peace.  The expansion of hatred into the "West" is in relative terms new.......at least since WWII anyway.

Our meddling in their government affairs, financial support of suppressive leaders in the region, and our continued military presence there grows that resentment even deeper.  We as a country would not tolerate acts like that on us, yet we can't comprehend us being called The Evil Empire.  We sure walk the walk, and talk the talk to this day.

Just another one of those things taught to me at an early age in trying to see things from the perspective of others/combatants.  I have no answers, no rational person does......we made our bed, now we have to sleep in it.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 10:34:23 PM »

It's a natural occurrence from all the publicity and actions of the radical Islamist - that people are uneasy around any Arabs...   

Until the Islamic Faith Leadership addresses their own rogue "leaders" by removing their religious "Titles", and then allowing the world to address the problems they face by a mutiny in their own religion - nothing can be done. 

It's the 500lb Elephant in the room that world leaders are unsure how to handle.
How sad that you'd have a fear of Arabs.

Here's something interesting:

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 10:35:06 PM »

We "as a collective" of many faiths - decry the bad acts of those who claim to be religious leaders here in the US...  none which rise to the degree of killing innocents in the name of religion (terrorism)
The religion that protested the war at funerals comes to mind
The radical reverends who support rioting and looting... based on race incidents.

I don't recall hearing any Imam's or Ayatollahs condemning acts or calling for a removal of official title of those involved in terrorism - (do they even have a hierarchy or can you call yourself whatever you want?)

I'm sure someone (fry) can find one - but collectively they remain rather silent.
[Note: This op-ed was originally distributed in 2007. Its anti-prejudice message is particularly relevant in the wake of the abominable terrorist attack in Paris.]

During last year’s protests over publication of the Danish cartoons designed to insult the Prophet Muhammad, I wrote a commentary called “What Would Muhammad Do?”

Given the ongoing controversy over the jailing of British teacher Gillian Gibbons in the Sudan for “insulting Islam,” perhaps it is time to remind us all how the Prophet himself reacted to insults, both real and perceived.

Even if Ms. Gibbons had the intent to cause insult, which does not seem to be the case, Islamic traditions include a number of instances in which the Prophet had the opportunity to retaliate against those who abused him, but refrained from doing so.

“You do not do evil to those who do evil to you, but you deal with them with forgiveness and kindness.” (Sahih Al-Bukhari)

That description of the Prophet Muhammad is a summary of how he reacted to personal attacks and abuse.

Muslims are taught the tradition of the woman who would regularly throw trash on the prophet as he walked down a particular path. The prophet never responded in kind to the woman’s abuse. Instead, when she one day failed to attack him, he went to her home to inquire about her condition.

In another tradition, the prophet was offered the opportunity to have God punish the people of a town near Mecca who refused the message of Islam and attacked him with stones. Again, the prophet did not choose to respond in kind to the abuse.

A companion of the prophet noted his forgiving disposition. He said: “I served the prophet for ten years, and he never said ‘uf’ (a word indicating impatience) to me and never blamed me by saying, ‘Why did you do so or why didn't you do so?’” (Sahih Al-Bukhari)

Even when the prophet was in a position of power, he chose the path of kindness and reconciliation.

When he returned to Mecca after years of exile and personal attacks, he did not take revenge on the people of the city, but instead offered a general amnesty.

In the Quran, Islam’s revealed text, God states: “When (the righteous) hear vain talk, they withdraw from it saying: ‘Our deeds are for us and yours for you; peace be on to you. We do not desire the way of the ignorant’. . .O Prophet (Muhammad), you cannot give guidance to whom you wish, it is God Who gives guidance to whom He pleases, and He is quite aware of those who are guided.” (28:55-56)

The Quran also says: “Invite (all) to the way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching, and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious: for thy Lord knows best who have strayed from His Path and who receive guidance.” (16:125)

Another verse tells the prophet to “show forgiveness, speak for justice and avoid the ignorant.” (7:199)

These are the examples that Muslims should follow as they express concern at the publication of insulting cartoons or at misperceived actions of a well-meaning teacher.

After the Danish cartoon controversy and allegations of Quran desecration at Guantanamo Bay, CAIR initiated educational campaigns as a peaceful, constructive response. This is an approach that people of all faiths can appreciate, as it helps us move toward respect and religious tolerance.

This most recent episode can be used as a learning opportunity for people of all faiths who wish to promote mutual understanding. It can also be viewed as a “teaching moment” for Muslims who want to emulate the Prophet through the example of their good character and dignified behavior.
http://www.islamophobia.org/

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 10:36:33 PM »

Are All Terrorists Muslims? It’s Not Even Close

What percentage of terror attacks in the United States and Europe are committed by Muslims? Guess. Nope. Guess again. And again...

“Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims.” How many times have you heard that one? Sure, we heard Fox News’s Brian Kilmeade say it, but to me, that was simply part of the Fox News plan to make their viewers dumber, as we saw again this past weekend when its terrorism “expert” Steve Emerson was caught fabricating the story that Birmingham, England, is closed to non-Muslims. But more alarmingly, even some reasonable people have uttered this statement.

And that comment is often followed up by the question: Why don’t we see Christian, Buddhist, or Jewish terrorists?

Obviously, there are people who sincerely view themselves as Muslims who have committed horrible acts in the name of Islam. We Muslims can make the case that their actions are not based on any part of the faith but on their own political agenda. But they are Muslims, no denying that.

However, and this will probably shock many, so you might want to take a breath: Overwhelmingly, those who have committed terrorist attacks in the United States and Europe aren’t Muslims. Let’s give that a moment to sink in.

Now, it’s not your fault if you aren’t aware of that fact. You can blame the media. (Yes, Sarah Palin and I actually agree on one thing: The mainstream media sucks.)

So here are some statistics for those interested. Let’s start with Europe. Want to guess what percent of the terrorist attacks there were committed by Muslims over the past five years? Wrong. That is, unless you said less than 2 percent.

As Europol, the European Union’s law-enforcement agency, noted in its report released last year, the vast majority of terror attacks in Europe were perpetrated by separatist groups. For example, in 2013, there were 152 terror attacks in Europe. Only two of them were “religiously motivated,” while 84 were predicated upon ethno-nationalist or separatist beliefs.

We are talking about groups like France’s FLNC, which advocates an independent nation for the island of Corsica. In December 2013, FLNC terrorists carried out simultaneous rocket attacks against police stations in two French cities. And in Greece in late 2013, the left-wing Militant Popular Revolutionary Forces shot and killed two members of the right-wing political party Golden Dawn. While over in Italy, the anarchist group FAI engaged in numerous terror attacks including sending a bomb to a journalist. And the list goes on and on.

Have you heard of these incidents? Probably not. But if Muslims had committed them do you think you our media would’ve covered it? No need to answer, that’s a rhetorical question.

Even after one of the worst terror attacks ever in Europe in 2011, when Anders Breivik slaughtered 77 people in Norway to further his anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant, and pro-“Christian Europe” agenda as he stated in his manifesto, how much press did we see in the United States? Yes, it was covered, but not the way we see when a Muslim terrorist is involved. Plus we didn’t see terrorism experts fill the cable news sphere asking how we can stop future Christian terrorists. In fact, even the suggestion that Breivik was a “Christian terrorist” was met with outrage by many, including Fox News’s Bill O’Reilly.

Have you heard about the Buddhist terrorists? Well, extremist Buddhists have killed many Muslim civilians in Burma, and just a few months ago in Sri Lanka, some went on a violent rampage burning down Muslim homes and businesses and slaughtering four Muslims.

Or what about the (dare I mention them) Jewish terrorists? Per the 2013 State Department’s report on terrorism, there were 399 acts of terror committed by Israeli settlers in what are known as “price tag” attacks. These Jewish terrorists attacked Palestinian civilians causing physical injuries to 93 of them and also vandalized scores of mosques and Christian churches.

Back in the United States, the percentage of terror attacks committed by Muslims is almost as miniscule as in Europe. An FBI study looking at terrorism committed on U.S. soil between 1980 and 2005 found that 94 percent of the terror attacks were committed by non-Muslims. In actuality, 42 percent of terror attacks were carried out by Latino-related groups, followed by 24 percent perpetrated by extreme left-wing actors.

And as a 2014 study by University of North Carolina found, since the 9/11 attacks, Muslim-linked terrorism has claimed the lives of 37 Americans. In that same time period, more than 190,000 Americans were murdered (PDF).

In fact in 2013, it was actually more likely Americans would be killed by a toddler than a terrorist. In that year, three Americans were killed in the Boston Marathon bombing. How many people did toddlers kill in 2013? Five, all by accidentally shooting a gun.

But our media simply do not cover the non-Muslim terror attacks with same gusto. Why? It’s a business decision. Stories about scary “others” play better. It’s a story that can simply be framed as good versus evil with Americans being the good guy and the brown Muslim as the bad.

Honestly, when is the last time we heard the media refer to those who attack abortion clinics as “Christian terrorists,” even though these attacks occur at one of every five reproductive health-care facilities? That doesn’t sell as well. After all we are a so-called Christian nation, so that would require us to look at the enemy within our country, and that makes many uncomfortable. Or worse, it makes them change the channel.

That’s the same reason we don’t see many stories about how to reduce the 30 Americans killed each day by gun violence or the three women per day killed by domestic violence. But the media will have on expert after expert discussing how can we stop these scary brown Muslims from killing any more Americans despite the fact you actually have a better chance of being killed by a refrigerator falling on you.

Look, this article is not going to change the media’s business model. But what I hope it does is cause some to realize that not all terrorists are Muslims. In fact, they are actually a very small percent of those that are. Now, I’m not saying to ignore the dangers posed by Islamic radicals. I’m just saying look out for those refrigerators.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/14/are-all-terrorists-muslims-it-s-not-even-close.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up