MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Dingell’s: Summary of Draft Carbon Tax Legislation

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dingell’s: Summary of Draft Carbon Tax Legislation  (Read 3617 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Dingell’s: Summary of Draft Carbon Tax Legislation
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 06:38:22 PM »

I always liked Dingell.

I really don't care what Dinkass proposes.  If and when there is a 75cent per gallon carbon tax added to the price of on-road fuel, I'll be buying my gasoline in Ohio just as I do presently.  At least my off-road fuel will be exempt, we hope, at least for your sake being the consumer of foodstuffs.

Love that Kroger Card and $2.44 per gallon (yesterday) was nice.

I was always under the assumption that PETA was the acronym for People Eating Tasty Animals
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 06:54:49 PM »

I really don't care what Dinkass proposes.  If and when there is a 75cent per gallon carbon tax added to the price of on-road fuel, I'll be buying my gasoline in Ohio just as I do presently.  At least my off-road fuel will be exempt, we hope, at least for your sake being the consumer of foodstuffs.

Love that Kroger Card and $2.44 per gallon (yesterday) was nice.

I was always under the assumption that PETA was the acronym for People Eating Tasty Animals

you will pay that tax in ohio also...he is in the u.s. house not the michigan house.

but anyone who wants to raise taxes especially in this day and age...is truly a sick person!!!
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 07:21:59 PM »

you will pay that tax in ohio also...he is in the u.s. house not the michigan house.

but anyone who wants to raise taxes especially in this day and age...is truly a sick person!!!

That's a fair statement on all counts.  Of course his 'house' is immune from the strife of paying higher taxes....just increase your salary to meet expenses.

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 07:27:10 PM »

I'm going to give Dingell the benefit of the doubt.  I'm guessing he proposed the gas tax
to motivate the public to buy smaller cars without "CAFE" standards that will bankrupt the
Big 3. Rather, than dump the cost on Big 3, he wants to smack the folks up side the head
and let them know that if they truly want to cut down on petroleum usage there is not a
free lunch. Brilliant! I'm thinking he outflanked the leftist environmental loons by putting a
price tag on enviromentalism and put it to the folks to decide how they want to proceed.
If everyone paid the true cost for the depletion and destruction of our natural resources, we would have already achieved pollution-free production. It is a growing field in the chemical industry. It just makes economical sense in the long run.
The Greenpeace people? ?
Has anyone else ever noticed that these same people that travel around, protesting those,
that they feel are doing harm to the environment.
Do it in ships that burn thousands of gallons of diesel fuel daily!?
maybe they use biodiesel
Yes I have noticed the same thing.........These people get no respect from me. With all of the technology we have today, the environmentalists really have NO reason to leave home. They could broadcast their message via satellite to filled auditoriums across the world all without ever hopping on a plane, train or automobile. Just think of how small their Carbon Footprint would be if they decided to spread their message that way.

how are they supposed to save whales from Norwegian and Japanese whalers from home?

Greenpeace is another extremist group. They have some good ideas, but their extreme worldview, and the path they chose to accomplish their goals will get no respect from me.
Ya, I don't approve of extreme environmental tactics. How about the National Wildlife Federation?

Dingell was elected, after all. Get out and vote or run for office if you don't like it.

Carbon taxes...I need to read up on that...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 07:35:09 PM by marilyn.monroe »

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 07:36:51 PM »

Everyone is so hell bent on the enviromental issues in this country while all the while the Chinese and others are busy producing hard goods without any thought of the enviroment or the future consequences.  In this country we are so busy sinking our own ship we don't seem to have a clue what's really going to happen. 

Just remember one thing.  You can't buy $300,000.00 houses and $40,000.00 cars working at WalMart or McDees.  You'll be damn lucky to get to your minimum wage job with the money it costs you to fill the tank in your beater because that's all you'll be able to afford.

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 07:43:47 PM »

Everyone is so hell bent on the enviromental issues in this country while all the while the Chinese and others are busy producing hard goods without any thought of the enviroment or the future consequences.  In this country we are so busy sinking our own ship we don't seem to have a clue what's really going to happen. 

Just remember one thing.  You can't buy $300,000.00 houses and $40,000.00 cars working at WalMart or McDees.  You'll be damn lucky to get to your minimum wage job with the money it costs you to fill the tank in your beater because that's all you'll be able to afford.
Well if we quit buying that Chinese crap they wouldn't have a reason to produce it.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 07:48:37 PM »

Well if we quit buying that Chinese crap they wouldn't have a reason to produce it.

I suggest you go take stock of what you own and depend on that is Chinese or third world manufactured....like the computer you just replied to my post on.

Better smell the roses before you get pricked.

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 09:20:57 PM »

I suggest you go take stock of what you own and depend on that is Chinese or third world manufactured....like the computer you just replied to my post on.

Better smell the roses before you get pricked.
Tend to your own garden!

sue lee

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 10:02:22 PM »

Don't get me wrong. I belong to the Sierra Club, and am very concerned regarding our environment and pollution. I am a big fan of nature, a bird watcher, a hiker, and I am deeply disturbed when I see negative imprints left by humanity in wild areas.
What is the old saying? Something about catching more flies with with honey? Greenpeace and Peta are almost frightening in their exuberance. I do not not like to see anyone wearing fur, but I would not assault someone if I did. There are different ways to go about things.
The plight of the Whales in this world is alarming. We need to convince our lawmakers to work with other nations to stop the slaughter.
I have always admired Dingell, and still do. In my opinion he is trying to get the message across to the big three "change or die" . The big three needs to start designing something other then big gas guzzlers. The sales are falling.
Dingell's bill has no chance of passing, but he wants to stir it up.
The best mannered people make the most absurd lovers.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 10:36:59 AM »

Tend to your own garden!

I am, everyday.  my 'garden' is, I presume quite a bit bigger than yours anyway.  The internet is a wonderful place to express your opinion but don't think for a minute that someone isn't gonna 'blow you away' other than Jennifer.

Normal Joe

• Hero Talker
  • Yep..it's true. I'm Normal...
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 01:32:19 PM »

Why don't they tax taxes??...Makes sense to me...bet Dingell will understand...by the way, is it true that Mr. Dingell is insane? ??? ???
If all the leaves on all the trees could talk....

arbates

• New Talker
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 01:54:01 PM »

You guys are so right.  The Greenpeace people were slamming Dingell upside the head.  So, he proposed exactly what they wanted even though he knew they'd be eating snow cones in Hell before it passed.  It was and is brilliant strategy.

I'd even bet that he believes in a system like this.

The man has spent 50 years in Congress for a reason.  He is so damned smart.

I am not so sure the "tax" will not pass the Congress in this day and age.  However, the problem is taxes are regressive; those who can afford them usually find a way to avoid them or just pay them and those of us who cannot afford them, end up paying for them.  Additionally, they are a punishment for bad behavior rather than encouraging good behavior.  Someone already noted the perverbial "catching more flies with honey".

Second, it is doubtful, knowing politicians, that the money collected from such a tax will truly go to address environmental concerns.  It will be redirected, reassigned and reallocated with a small portion actually making it to the end use intended.

I am still reading the draft legislation at this time, but generally, I do not favor new taxes  unless some "old" taxes are eliminated.

Mike Ingels

• Hero Talker
    • Expatriate Monroe
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 11:08:13 PM »

I don't know if anyone caught the news about American Electric Power.  They have settled with the northeastern states for something like 4.5 billion dollars because they didn't meet provisions of the Clean Air Act.  That's more money than Exxon paid out for the Valdez oil spill.

I think that the biggest problem for the power industry right now is the open liability that they face for coal emissions.  They will be like the cigarette industry in about 20 years unless they change.

I think that it is probably in the best interests of carbon based industries to negotiate a deal before they get forced to comply with unfavorable terms.
The world is basically good.

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 02:58:10 PM »

I am, everyday.  my 'garden' is, I presume quite a bit bigger than yours anyway.  The internet is a wonderful place to express your opinion but don't think for a minute that someone isn't gonna 'blow you away' other than Jennifer.
whatever the heck that means...

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 03:03:04 PM »

I don't know if anyone caught the news about American Electric Power.  They have settled with the northeastern states for something like 4.5 billion dollars because they didn't meet provisions of the Clean Air Act.  That's more money than Exxon paid out for the Valdez oil spill.

I think that the biggest problem for the power industry right now is the open liability that they face for coal emissions.  They will be like the cigarette industry in about 20 years unless they change.

I think that it is probably in the best interests of carbon based industries to negotiate a deal before they get forced to comply with unfavorable terms.
well @ least coal comes from usa...they should use that 4.5 billion dollars so the coal burning power plants can research and upgrade technologies for pollution control, as well as clean up any damage done to the natural environment.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up