MonroeTalks.com > About MonroeTalks.com > Getting Started & Site News > Please use event calendar to post your notices - here's why

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please use event calendar to post your notices - here's why  (Read 1223 times)

Paula Wethington

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
    • The Monroe News
Please use event calendar to post your notices - here's why
« on: October 14, 2007, 08:02:57 AM »

(originally posted elsewhere, re-posted on request in "Getting started ...")

Hey MonroeTalkers ...

Please use the calendar to post or link to your events. You can find it here:

http://www.monroetalks.com/events/events/

I don't want to have to start pulling event notices off the boards. If you want to chit-chat about an upcoming event, please include a link back to the events calendar so that other readers know where to find the information. Or if you want to know how much an event will cost, directions, reservation deadlines, etc., go to the events calendar and open up the event details.

Here is the problem.

1. If we take up board space with events notices, the discussion boards will get overwhelmed very quickly. Pick any date on the calendar in the next two or three weeks, and open up the list of events as to what's going on in Monroe County on that date. Three reporters are in and out of that database every business day to keep it updated with announcements that have just arrived to the newsroom. Do you really want that huge list duplicated on the discussion boards?

2. If an event is posted on the boards ONLY THE BOARD READERS WILL SEE IT! But if you post it in the database, it goes into a holding queue where I or the other calendar administrators will get the notice. It takes only a minute or two for us to fix any errors, clear the event notice for the web calendar, and copy or print the information for all appropriate places in our print edition and at BlogsMonroe.

If your favorite event isn't listed, but you don't feel like you are the "appropriate person" to submit it, tell your event chairman to get the notice to The Monroe Evening News as soon as possible.

If you have any problems or questions about using the calendar, feel free to send me a note at paula@monroenews.com. If I can't fix the problem or explain it, I'll contact our IT staff to find a work-around.

Also ... if you want to know how many hits your event notice is getting on the calendar, e-mail me and I can pull up the stats with my administrator password.
Reporter and digital media team member, The Monroe News and Bedford Now
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/MonroeNewsPaula
Pages: [1]   Go Up