MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > City Budget Proposes 9 more Firefighters layoff/cut

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: City Budget Proposes 9 more Firefighters layoff/cut  (Read 27113 times)

dickI02

Re: City Budget Proposes 9 more Firefighters layoff/cut
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 08:44:33 PM »

I know that the police department was cut by a few people last year, since my neighbor was one of them.

Ishkibibl

• Hero Talker
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 09:25:57 PM »

I know that the police department was cut by a few people last year, since my neighbor was one of them.
Dick, they were not cut.  They had retirees, same as fd, except pd had 4 retire, fd 10.  Now they want to LAYOFF 9 ff, and no policmen.  BRD, those big trucks do not go on every call.  Do not know where you get your information, but it totally incorrect. They go if they are requested, or if dispatch information deems it necessary.  Also, the truck from the east side station tuns 1st response, will it did until the station closes.
KUMBAYA!!  CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

dickI02

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 09:31:46 PM »

Dick, they were not cut.  They had retirees, same as fd, except pd had 4 retire, fd 10.  Now they want to LAYOFF 9 ff, and no policmen.  BRD, those big trucks do not go on every call.  Do not know where you get your information, but it totally incorrect. They go if they are requested, or if dispatch information deems it necessary.  Also, the truck from the east side station tuns 1st response, will it did until the station closes.

What other departments got cut then? BigRedDog's post says the firemens contention was that they gave when no one else did. It seems that police did cut, and I would think every department got cut.

The Maniacal Joker

• Hero Talker
  • Why So Serious?
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 09:38:38 PM »

10% OVER 10 MINUTES

WHAT IF IT'S YOU?

The Mayor and City Council have announced plans to:
     eliminate 9 City fire fighters/paramedics,
     "privatize" emergency response for auto accidents and medical emergencies,
     hire Monroe Community Ambulance (MCA).

In the April 4 Monroe News, MCA's Chief Executive said that MCA can meet a guideline of "10-minute response time at least 90% of the calls" for accidents and medical emergencies.

MCA is saying that, on average, 10% of medical emergencies will be responded to in more than 10 minutes.

We, the employees of the Monroe Fire Department, respond within 4 minutes to accidents and life-threatening medical emergencies.

The question for the citizens of Monroe is:
What if you are one of the 10% over 10 minutes?

Tell your elected officials:
     MAINTAIN OUR VITAL PUBLIC SERVICES,
     DON'T "PRIVATIZE" OUR HEALTH AND SAFETY.

MONROE FIRE FIGHTERS, LOCAL 326
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF FIRE FIGHTERS
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:33:41 PM by The Maniacal Joker »
I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you stranger.

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 11:07:19 PM »

10% OVER 10 MINUTES

WHAT IF IT'S YOU?

The Mayor and City Council have announced plans to:
     eliminate 9 City fire fighters/paramedics,
     "privatize" emergency response for auto accidents and medical emergencies,
     hire Monroe Community Ambulance (MCA).

In the April 4 Monroe News, MCA's Chief Executive said that MCA can meet a guideline of "10-minute response time at least 90% of the calls" for accidents and medical emergencies.

MCA is saying is that, on average, 10% of medical emergencies will be responded to in more than 10 minutes.

We, the employees of the Monroe Fire Department, respond within 4 minutes to accidents and life-threatening medical emergencies.

The question for the citizens of Monroe is:
What if you are one of the 10% over 10 minutes?

Tell your elected officials:
     MAINTAIN OUR VITAL PUBLIC SERVICES,
     DON'T "PRIVATIZE" OUR HEALTH AND SAFETY.

MONROE FIRE FIGHTERS, LOCAL 326
INTERNATIONAL FIRE FIGHTERS ASSOCIATION

I think the firefighters are right in this case.  The union BS is not helping you cause though.  City council just needs to wake up and realize that cutting transport is just a real bad idea.  Why not comparmentalize the two?  41-Fire.  41-EMS.  Run independently of each other, you could even share employees.  I have to presume that the ambulances run at a profit no?  I understand the Fire side being a drain on the budget, the fires, downed lines, and faulty CO detectors don't pay you.  The council is about to really screw the pooch.  Continue responding without getting paid, and lose the only revenue stream you have?  Here's an idea.  Privatize the ice rink.

Boylanjl

• Hero Talker
  • xxx
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 12:01:06 AM »

I realize I do not and have not lived in the City of Monroe in a long time, but I would hate to see a Firefighter seriously hurt or killed or even worse a citizen due to a lack of manning within the department. 

I remember back in 1988 when the shopping center with JC Penney's on South Monroe Street Burned.  Monroe Township was the first department to respond with Mutual aid calls out to all the surrounding Departments.  A friend of mine's father was a monroe Firefighter at the time, he was called in to cover a Monroe Township Fire Station while this fire was in progress.  I also remember that the Fire Departments were on scene of this fire for a few days putting out hot spots and making sure it did not flare back up.  My point is that they called in numerous departments to extinguish this fire.  With proper manning and the timelyness of a report, a fire of that magnitude can be avoided by timely repsonse and enough personnel onscene right off the start.   

In no way am I am saying that the MTFD was too slow in there response, I remember one of the problems with that particular fire was that it burned for a while before the MTFD was even rang out on it, plus it was in the paint store to begin with. 

I just think the city council should take a close look at what they are doing and maybe look at taking some of the Police Department also instead taking the FD down that much.  If you are going to cut public safety, then cut both departments a little and not just one big cut out of one.

Ishkibibl

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 08:57:01 AM »

What other departments got cut then? BigRedDog's post says the firemens contention was that they gave when no one else did. It seems that police did cut, and I would think every department got cut.

Last year the fire dept lost 10 personnel.  The police maybe 4.  Other depts., 1 or 2 if any.  Now city wants 9 more.  1/2 the dept?  What is wrong with this picture?  No one is saying cuts are not needed.  The main bone of contention is, why is the f.d. taking the greatest hit?  Cutting a deaprtment in half?  Why?  If you ask me, if they are going to cut people, why not make an offer to the guys that get paid the most?  Give them an incentive to leave?  Like was posted somewhere before, police officer that were ELEGIBLE to retire were apid to.  Now, when cuts need to be made, they (the city) turn their noses up at the ones who cost them the most, and cut the cheapest.  Good financial management?  I think that alone shows the agenda the city has.  Ruin the fire dept.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:59:12 AM by Ishkibibl »
KUMBAYA!!  CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 10:13:18 AM »

I don't live in Monroe, in the city, so you can ignore me if you want to but the way I see it....

You have to cut something.  You can't keep going at pre-recession levels because the funding isn't there.  Everyone including the politicians need to get that through their heads.  It's time to decrease essential services and downsize and that's all there is to it.

It's happening everywhere, all over the country.  Monroe is no different.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

TheSeeker

• Hero Talker
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 10:15:57 AM »

The main bone of contention is, why is the f.d. taking the greatest hit? Cutting a deaprtment in half?  Why?

Good question and I'm on your side because I want an ambulance at my home quickly when needed. So I've asked questions and tried to do some homework on these proposed cuts. If what I'm hearing and reading is true you guys have an unbelievable contract. f.d. has effectively made themselves the obvious choice to go after. If you really want Monroe to be safe, quit the sensationalism and go back to the bargaining table.
Anaconda don't want none, unless you got butt hun.

rands

• Elite Talker
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 10:23:10 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the firefighters just settle their contract about 8 mths ago? Didn't the city have the foresight to see what was going to happen with the plant closing and all?  Also I heard that their contract has staffing in it, I believe that they have a total daily staffing of 10 firefighters, but can go down to 8 before overtime is called in. Sounds to me like the city doesn't want to hold up on their side of the contract.  I believe that the firefighters don't have alot to worry about. Stand tall Monroe Fire, you have a lot of people standing behind you.  Maybe it is time to do a council recall. It seeems like they can't or don't know how to run a city.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »

Good question and I'm on your side because I want an ambulance at my home quickly when needed. So I've asked questions and tried to do some homework on these proposed cuts. If what I'm hearing and reading is true you guys have an unbelievable contract. f.d. has effectively made themselves the obvious choice to go after. If you really want Monroe to be safe, quit the sensationalism and go back to the bargaining table.

Again, being an outsider and just observing....

If you want an ambulance at your home quickly when needed, the way I see it, you need to pay for that in increased taxes to increase the revenue stream so the city can pay for the personnel.

Finally, what do you bargain in good faith for when there isn't anything on the table to bargain about.  After all, isn't it all about money?

Out here in the sticks, if I request an ambulance call, I have to pay for it and it ain't cheap.  When youy pay over and above, you get mighty discretionary in your needs.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 11:12:37 AM »

They take those big trucks just in case they do happen to get a fire call while they are away from the station.  Say they are on a medical call with your mini van down where they are proposing to close the east side station.  They get a fire call only a block away.  Now, they have to leave the medical call with at least part of the personnell and return to the station and pick up the big fire truck and then return to right where they were...  major loss of time...  what started as a small stove fire in the kitchen is now burning through the roof...   fire is what many refer to as "time sensitive"...   and sometimes they just may need a piece of equipment they only carry on the big trucks too...

It only takes one guy to drive the truck, the rest can fly over in the van and meet the truck at the fire scene.

SPOOKYTOOTH

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »

Its been a dirty secret because it hasn't really made the newspaper until now.  Last year the City reduced the Fire Department by over 10 positions - and no one reported it.
This year they are trying for 9 more...  to reduce a department by 49% in 2 years.

Did the City really manage their funds that poorly - or is it a Mayor and Manager that doesn't like the Fire Services (Look at Adrian if you want to see how the last City fared under this regime.)

What other department has even come close to taking this budget hit - and yet the firefighters are trying their best to maintain services, while facing a risk of their own

Here's a novel thought::  Lay off ALL full time, that's right   A L L fulltime firefighters and police. Go back to a volunteer / on call force in both depts. and let the politicians SERVE THEIR TIME on the Front Lines.

When someone's havin a heart attack at 3 a.m. whichever city councilman, trustee or manager happens to be closest and has CPR training can respond.

If a fire breaks out, sound  the alarm and form up the bucket brigade of local political volunteers (hey they can use it towards filling their credit quota in Obama's service brigades he has in the works!) and there ya go! Problem solved!

I hear the calls now.... "Hey Spooky this isn't an issue to joke about..." WHO'S JOKIN? I'M SERIOUS!!!  Let'm put their $$$ where their mouths are! Step up and FILL THE SHOES THEY PROPOSE EMPTYING!!! OR... allow the citizens affected by the proposed cuts the RIGHT to SUE for lack of CIVIL RESPONSIBILITY!

Seems fair to me.

TheSeeker

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2009, 12:29:19 PM »

Again, being an outsider and just observing....

If you want an ambulance at your home quickly when needed, the way I see it, you need to pay for that in increased taxes to increase the revenue stream so the city can pay for the personnel.

That's why I moved into town and accepted paying significantly higher property taxes in the first place. Right now it's not only a question of paying personnel, but how you pay the personnel.

Finally, what do you bargain in good faith for when there isn't anything on the table to bargain about.  After all, isn't it all about money?

It is my understanding the possibility of losing 9 people was raised because the firemen won't come back to the bargaining table. Is this basically extortion on the city's part? Hell yes! Is the city at fault for accepting the contract in the first place less than a year ago? Hell yes! I'm not sold on the competency of council and mayor, I just don't buy that they're picking on firemen simply because they don't like them.

Out here in the sticks, if I request an ambulance call, I have to pay for it and it ain't cheap.  When you pay over and above, you get mighty discretionary in your needs.

1) It was your choice to live in the sticks just like it was my choice to live in town and pay higher taxes for what I perceived to be better services. 2) I also pay for ambulance service. 3) When are needs discretionary?
Anaconda don't want none, unless you got butt hun.

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2009, 01:55:11 PM »

It only takes one guy to drive the truck, the rest can fly over in the van and meet the truck at the fire scene.

Uh 6 guys in full turn out gear, SCBA's in a van?  Erie, I like you but your view of firefighting is a little bit elementary.  There is a whole lot more that goes with responding to a fire then getting into a truck and driving over there, now that said I have never ever understood why it takes an engine to bring additional personel to a medical call.  Does the city not have a battalion vehicle, grass rig, or other multi-purpose vehicle, to carry additional personel and a medical bag?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25   Go Up