MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Detroit wants blighted old train depot demolished

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Detroit wants blighted old train depot demolished  (Read 3849 times)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Detroit wants blighted old train depot demolished
« on: April 08, 2009, 02:57:36 PM »

DETROIT - The Michigan Central Depot -- a 17-story hulking reminder of Detroit's past grandeur and present failures -- could be approaching its end.

The city council has passed a resolution seeking emergency demolition of the mostly hollowed-out building just outside the shadow of downtown, while Mayor Ken Cockrel Jr. has made it clear that he wants federal stimulus money to bring it to rubble.

Both want to force the long-closed train station's owner, Manuel (Matty) Moroun, to pay the city back. Moroun also owns the Ambassador Bridge, which is operated by his Detroit International Bridge Co.

More here:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-mi-detroittraindepot,0,495860.story

Video of the Michigan Central Station:

This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Chips

• Hero Talker
Re: Detroit wants blighted old train depot demolished
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »

People in Hell want ice water!
So, how's that
“hope” and “change”
working out for you?

countryboy71

• Active Talker
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 09:06:30 PM »

That building is pretty sweet looking imagine what it looked like in its prime, I mean actually seeing it in person.  It Still looks pretty cool and its all tore up.  Detroit needs to do this with most of the buildings the city would probably be alot safer, not spot for drug dealers and homeless and other criminals to live or stay in.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:24:21 PM »

That building is pretty sweet looking imagine what it looked like in its prime, I mean actually seeing it in person.  It Still looks pretty cool and its all tore up.  Detroit needs to do this with most of the buildings the city would probably be alot safer, not spot for drug dealers and homeless and other criminals to live or stay in.

It would also completely destroy the character of the city. Detroit is the world's foremost site of art-deco skyscrapers.
your mom goes to college.

countryboy71

• Active Talker
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 09:49:59 PM »

yea to bad cost way to much to renovate most buildings

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:49:44 PM »

It would also completely destroy the character of the city. Detroit is the world's foremost site of art-deco skyscrapers.

All good things must come to an end.  One day even the Edison stacks will fall (I realize that they lack architectual beauty).

Besides after the sun goes down, no one in Detroit is downthere to admire the building anyways.

I say fill it with combustibles have a nice real hot fire and then just push the walls in.  Wow that would be one hell of a training burn.

wolverine58

• Active Talker
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 11:46:21 AM »

kinda of sad when I was an kid id change trains in Detroit going to NYC and I was in awe of that station  too bad
when lighting strikes the family ...have faith...believe

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 09:48:17 PM »

I guess the guys at the entrance were called porters and when I was a very young boy they taught me not to fear the spiders.

I still look at that building every time I go by and think "what a waste"
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 12:23:36 AM »

FF:

I can relate to that.  What a waste.  It was a beautiful building and interestingly Matty Morun owns it.  He has enough money to refurbish it and bring it back to it's original splendor but it would be a waste to do so because there is no one in Detroit who would appreciate it.  Detroit reminds me of the Sci-Fi movie
'Escape from New York' without any walls.  Detroit is non-existent.

I really hope that Dave Bing or Ken Cockrel get to be mayor and at least make an effort to begin to get Detroit pointed down the right track.  Been way too many years of corruption, blight and just not giving a damn.

Michigan has some ugly cities.  Detriot and Flint are right at the top.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 12:27:02 AM »

FF:

I can relate to that.  What a waste.  It was a beautiful building and interestingly Matty Morun owns it.  He has enough money to refurbish it and bring it back to it's original splendor but it would be a waste to do so because there is no one in Detroit who would appreciate it.  Detroit reminds me of the Sci-Fi movie
'Escape from New York' without any walls.  Detroit is non-existent.

I really hope that Dave Bing or Ken Cockrel get to be mayor and at least make an effort to begin to get Detroit pointed down the right track.  Been way too many years of corruption, blight and just not giving a damn.

Michigan has some ugly cities.  Detriot and Flint are right at the top.

The final nail in Detroit's coffin was when Dennis Archer said "screw this I'm done!  Ya'll are on your own".  He had the ball rolling in the right direction but then came Kwame and the rest is history, and so is Detroit.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 12:38:33 AM »

I can't resist...

Kwameee, Kwameee, how I luv ya, how I luv ya, my dear old Kwameee, the folks up north (at Kinross) will miss ya some more...when you go to the Kwamee shore........(Texas to work for Carmanos) what a deal, what corruption.

Of course the Detroit City Council is fighting over COBO while the roof leaks and fills the basement with water.  What a joke.

Detroit needs a thermo-nuclear explosion.  It's a constant drain on the state and all the citizens.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 08:39:22 AM »

When I first moved to this area and my office was near Tiger Stadium, I went with several others to just walk around the old depot.  What a place of grandeur it must have been while operational!  There was a marble inlaid compass on the floor near what must have been the main entrance.  I thought the building was Detroit's grandest piece of architecture and hoped for renovation some day.

Oh well, now it will share the same fate as Cobo Hall is about to due to city leadership that doesn't have the mental capabilities to run a city the size of Monroe yet alone Detroit!
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Borat

• Super Talker
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 11:56:35 PM »

The final nail in Detroit's coffin was when Dennis Archer said "screw this I'm done!  Ya'll are on your own".  He had the ball rolling in the right direction but then came Kwame and the rest is history, and so is Detroit.
We'll thats what happens when you have to deal with complete morons for eight years.  I too really think Archer could have done something had he stayed around another 4-8 years.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 09:21:10 AM »

When I first moved to this area and my office was near Tiger Stadium, I went with several others to just walk around the old depot.  What a place of grandeur it must have been while operational!  There was a marble inlaid compass on the floor near what must have been the main entrance.  I thought the building was Detroit's grandest piece of architecture and hoped for renovation some day.

Oh well, now it will share the same fate as Cobo Hall is about to due to city leadership that doesn't have the mental capabilities to run a city the size of Monroe yet alone Detroit!

I had to go back a long time to find this one but I remembered reading it 'way back when'.

So far the Depot has survived and at this point it sounds like Ford may buy it and restore it. 

Only 'more time' will tell the 'rest of the story'!

Here's some photos over the years:

https://www.detroitnews.com/picture-gallery/news/local/michigan-history/2015/02/23/michigan-central-depot-through-the-years/23897315/
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 10:08:11 AM »

From what i see there aren't many people that live in Detroit that care about anything.  And the people that don't live in detroit don't want to go there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up