MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > DTE Power Plant Valuations - What is the impact on Monroe County?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: DTE Power Plant Valuations - What is the impact on Monroe County?  (Read 2924 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: DTE Power Plant Valuations - What is the impact on Monroe County?
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2018, 04:18:18 PM »

All any 'peaker' unit is, is a gas turbine linked to an ac generator through a reduction gearbox.  The make them in single unit or multiple unit configurations.  There is a triple unit one right off US24 in Napoleon, Ohio and another multiple unit at the end of 280 where it intersects US20 in Ohio.  None are fancy and they aren't very fuel efficient either but then NG is cheap for now.  Being a gas turbine, they can burn about anything except coal.  All the 'stuff' you see on the outside has to do with cooling the turbine and exhaust.  The units themselves aren't all that big.

Union Pacific Railroad had gas turbines linked to generators in their Gas Turbine locomotives in the 60's.  Not new technology at all  The UP turbines burned bunker oil though, not NG  Each one of the UP locomotives made around 10,000 horsepower and were used for heavy freight in the mountains.  They had to pull a dedicated tender with fuel because they were so inefficient.  The belly tanks wouldn't last long enough to make any trip.

Issue is, at some point, NG will rise in cost per cubic feet used and then 'Peakers' units will quickly go out of style.

I have a good friend who does nothing but travel around the country working on Peaker plants.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2018, 11:28:19 AM »

This article from The Blade gives some insight into why power from natural gas is more popular (for now) than nuclear. 

Tops is it takes 700 people to operate a nuke and 29 to operate a similar sized natural gas plant.  Unfortunately that is also cutting a lot of money from the income tax pool too. 

I'm guessing Michigan is a little behind on building gas plants but will soon catch up and that will be the end of Fermi 2.  Will there ever be a need for a Fermi 3?  How long will it take to build one 'if' it's needed down the road?

http://www.toledoblade.com/business/2018/08/15/Manufacturing-officials-get-behind-the-scenes-look-at-Oregon-Clean-Energy-Center/stories/20180815135
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2018, 11:50:24 AM »

Didn't read your linked article.  See no need.  Bottom line is...NG is cheap right now.  I say now because it is a finite supply and when it peters out (and it will), alternative power sources will become the vogue again.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2018, 12:12:57 PM »

Didn't read your linked article.  See no need.  Bottom line is...NG is cheap right now.  I say now because it is a finite supply and when it peters out (and it will), alternative power sources will become the vogue again.

I saw lots of wind turbines going up on my drive North.

I didn't see any turning though in the completed form

Monroe screwed the pooch by not.convincing DTE to build a new plant in Monroe.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up