MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Detroit wants blighted old train depot demolished

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Detroit wants blighted old train depot demolished  (Read 4547 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Detroit wants blighted old train depot demolished
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 06:54:44 PM »

From what i see there aren't many people that live in Detroit that care about anything.  And the people that don't live in detroit don't want to go there.

Have you been down there lately?

Downtown has been gentrified, and it is creeping outwards.

I have several young co-workers who have bought and live downtown - and commute to the burbs to work.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 07:38:21 PM »

I was at Cobo 2 years ago maybe three and the area around there was pretty bad.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »

I was at Cobo 2 years ago maybe three and the area around there was pretty bad.

The last season of Lions games I was blown away by the number of people downtown who were clearly not there for the Lions.

Woodward is full of stores - and the streets 2-3 blocks to each side are being remodeled and filled with businesses.

Chicago its not - but it is improving at an amazing rate.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 09:10:03 PM »

Kwamme must be gone

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 09:27:20 PM »

Kwamme must be gone

Duggan is a good mayor for Detroit.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »

Sounds like the 'Blue Oval' may be heading for the former train depot!

https://patch.com/michigan/detroit/michigan-central-station-has-new-owner-report
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 04:29:35 PM »

I certainly hope so.  It's a grand old building in dire need of new and industrious owners.  Knowing Matty, I'm sure he turned a profit.  Matty don't do anything without making money.

Love to see a big Blue Oval about halfway up in the center of the facade.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 04:33:41 PM »

Having said that (above), I'm not so sure Fords has made the right decisions about it's future product lines and about the electric self driving cars either.

With gas prices climbing, people will be more interested in vehicles that get good mileage and that ain't big pickup trucks or lumber wagon SUV's.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 06:02:46 PM »

Having said that (above), I'm not so sure Fords has made the right decisions about it's future product lines and about the electric self driving cars either.

With gas prices climbing, people will be more interested in vehicles that get good mileage and that ain't big pickup trucks or lumber wagon SUV's.

Here's an article with a little more of the 'thought process' that went into their decisions.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2018/06/01/ford-stop-making-cars/662524002/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 09:34:48 PM »

Here's an article with a little more of the 'thought process' that went into their decisions.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2018/06/01/ford-stop-making-cars/662524002/

That philosophy hinges entirely on the cost of fuel and that cost is going up, everyday.  BTW, I'm averaging 41 mpg, city / highway combined.  Actually, 41.4 on the fuel computer but for practical purposes, 41.  41 with the air on all the time fantastic in my view.  If I was Fords, I'd keep the Focus as a backup and not a Chinese Focus though that might change with DJT's tariff's.  What do I know, I'm just a consumer. ;D

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 07:24:20 PM »

I just don't see the attractiveness of working in Detroit.

I don't want ANY of my income going to pay taxes in that city.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 08:54:41 AM »

That philosophy hinges entirely on the cost of fuel and that cost is going up, everyday.  BTW, I'm averaging 41 mpg, city / highway combined.  Actually, 41.4 on the fuel computer but for practical purposes, 41.  41 with the air on all the time fantastic in my view.  If I was Fords, I'd keep the Focus as a backup and not a Chinese Focus though that might change with DJT's tariff's.  What do I know, I'm just a consumer. ;D

Maybe Ford just needs to go back to their roots.  Henry's first 'vehicle' ran completely on ethanol. 

I can brew my own if I have to ;) ;) ;)

https://www.clickondetroit.com/entertainment/1d4/122-years-later-henry-fords-first-automobile

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2018, 11:56:05 AM »

Ethanol makes a good fuel.  Problem is, it has no shelf life and when mixed with petroleum based fuels likes to 'drop out' of suspension.

Alternative fueled vehicles might become the norm someday but not in our lifetimes.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up