MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Anyone know how much it costs to fill up a Swimming Pool?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know how much it costs to fill up a Swimming Pool?  (Read 6159 times)

ktreas

• Hero Talker
Anyone know how much it costs to fill up a Swimming Pool?
« on: May 13, 2009, 06:55:21 AM »

We are thinking about getting our kids a swimming pool, it will be around 5000 gallons.  anyone know how much it costs to fill it up or at least a guesstimate?  The water Dept. is confusing me on how much it will cost--LOL--
Thanks in advance  :)

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
Re: Anyone know how much it costs to fill up a Swimming Pool?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:17:11 AM »

I don't think you should be too worried about the cost to fill it.  (You only do that once)  It is the maintenance!!  That is what cost you, both in money and time.  We have had our pool for just about 20 years.  You have got to really be dedicated to pool time.  It takes at least one hour a day to maintain an above ground pool.  We had issues with our cover over the winter and my husband took the pool covers off Sunday. He has already started the filtering system for this season.  So....already the filter will be running at least 5 hours a day. Not only that cost, but the shock treatments, the stuff you have to put in to keep the water clean, the net thing to take out leaves, all these things add up.  You also have to check the water daily to make sure all the colors turn the right color on the "checker" paper. lol (don't know what it is called)
One of our neighbors got a pool about 3 years ago and he took it down and threw everything away because he could not keep it going.  All that money right down the drain. 
I'm not trying to discourage you ktreas, but it really IS a lot of work.  (My husband has informed me that since I am retired now (dang it) I get to do at least half of it)!! 

ktreas

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 07:37:43 AM »

Our back yard is TINY, So I have opted for one of those Intex easy set pools--it is 18'x 48" which is why I was curious about the cost of water every year because you cannot keep these up all winter--I would get a bigger pool and put it in the front yard (our front yard is HUGE) BUT we have a million smaller kids that we would have trouble stopping them from getting into the pool and drowning--but a large locked gate is easier to control from getting into the back yard and getting into the pool.
Our back yard is 20'x28', so our space is limited.
I am a homemaker, so keeping up on everything a few months out of the year is no problem  :)

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:44:14 AM »

Good for you ktreas.  If you are home all the time it won't be so bad. 
Another thing is the kids that live around you.  Do you let them come over?  We had a rule at our house, yes, you can swim in the pool, but you have to have at least one parent come with you.  That got rid of many kids, and, we met a few more parents!

I remember years ago my husband and I woke up at 3 in the morning and there were 10 people in the pool!!  We didn't even know them!!  They rushed out of the pool and jumped in a van and left fast when my husband turned on the lights.

My brother in law lives in CA and he woke up one morning early to find a deer in his pool!

ktreas

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:58:07 AM »

Good for you ktreas.  If you are home all the time it won't be so bad. 
Another thing is the kids that live around you.  Do you let them come over?  We had a rule at our house, yes, you can swim in the pool, but you have to have at least one parent come with you.  That got rid of many kids, and, we met a few more parents!

I remember years ago my husband and I woke up at 3 in the morning and there were 10 people in the pool!!  We didn't even know them!!  They rushed out of the pool and jumped in a van and left fast when my husband turned on the lights.

My brother in law lives in CA and he woke up one morning early to find a deer in his pool!
--LOL--I choked on my coffee reading that one about the deer--LOL--
To get to our backyard you have one VERY narrow option that involves going in between our house and garage--about 3 feet of space--so a nice TALL gate that is locked from the INSIDE only--where to open it you have to be in the back yard already and the latch/lock will be half way down the gate so longer arms cannot open it from the front yard should help keep the smaller kids from getting into the back yard.
We also have motion detection lights installed in between the house and garage and in the back yard so I will be woke up at night if anyone tries to take a late night swim  :)
I haven't worked out how many kids will be allowed over to swim at one time yet, I am sure our girls will have a few "new" friends trying to get invites as soon as we put the pool up and word gets out--LOL--
I am looking forward to making them happy this summer  :)  :)

ktreas

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 10:52:25 PM »

After a bunch of research we decided on a 12'x24' Doughboy pool that we can leave up year round.  We are THRILLED with the fantastic deal we got--We are really looking forward to this Summer even more now  :)

MonroeAutoSales

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 11:08:25 PM »

Erie...Pool Hopping!  Yes it is a sport that originated in Daytona Florida around 1987.  We went from Hotel to Hotel right down the beach at about 3 in the morning and jumped into each pool then got out and went to the one next door....bonus points were awarded for the amount of beachtowels you brought back to the room.

Yes, I think there was drinking involved...but nobody ever died.  It was good clean fun.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 08:35:55 AM »

I just hoped they used the bushes around the pool instead of the pool when they were here! ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up