MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > YMCA- No Weapons Policy

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YMCA- No Weapons Policy  (Read 4767 times)

offroadracer99

• Super Talker
YMCA- No Weapons Policy
« on: June 09, 2009, 01:58:39 PM »

The Monroe YMCA has sent out a memo on their new policies. Dated Jun 2, 2009 states that one of the new policies is a “No Weapons” policy.

No Weapons Policy

In the interest of maintaining an environment that is safe and free of violence for members, employees, and visitors, Monroe Family YMCA prohibits the wearing, transporting, storage, presence or use of dangerous weapons on YMCA property, regardless of whether or not the person is licensed to carry the weapon. Members that violate this policy may have their membership revoked immediately; any employee that violates this policy may be terminated. This policy does not apply to any law enforcement personnel or security personnel engaging in official duties.

YMCA property covered by this policy includes all YMCA –owned or leased buildings and surrounding areas, such as sidewalks, walkways, parking lots and drive ways under the YMCA’s control.

“Dangerous Weapons” include, but are not limited to, handguns, firearms, explosives, knives and other weapons further defined my Michigan statute and/or local ordinance.

The YMCA appears to have taken it upon themselves to make policy that contradicts Michigan Concealed Pistol License Laws. While this has been done before by other places, it is still just policy and not law. This is just another place that is trying to take away rights from law abiding citizens.

Thoughts and opinions?

PXaiver

Re: YMCA- No Weapons Policy
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »

I actually think that's a good idea.  I mean it's not like it's the Cass Corridor YMCA.

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 03:36:39 PM »

I don't have an issue with it, and it is their right.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »

I would expect an increse in my membership.

old salt

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 03:48:47 PM »

It's there right.  I just wonder why they did it.  Was there a problem.

Now they'll be just like the schools, where a gunmen can enter and not be worried about being shot.  Gun free zones scare me.
Voting Democrat Will Destroy Your Family, Grow Government, Raise Your Taxes, Increase Crime, Reduce Individual Rights, And Diminish Western Civilization.

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »

It's there right.  I just wonder why they did it.  Was there a problem.

Now they'll be just like the schools, where a gunmen can enter and not be worried about being shot.  Gun free zones scare me.

Gun free zones are also a myth. My permit allows me to carry even in 'gun free' zones.

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 03:54:21 PM »

Does this include razors in the locker rooms cause there are some shifty characters in there.

Baby Hitler

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 03:55:32 PM »

The Monroe YMCA has sent out a memo on their new policies. Dated Jun 2, 2009 states that one of the new policies is a “No Weapons” policy.

No Weapons Policy

In the interest of maintaining an environment that is safe and free of violence for members, employees, and visitors, Monroe Family YMCA prohibits the wearing, transporting, storage, presence or use of dangerous weapons on YMCA property, regardless of whether or not the person is licensed to carry the weapon. Members that violate this policy may have their membership revoked immediately; any employee that violates this policy may be terminated. This policy does not apply to any law enforcement personnel or security personnel engaging in official duties.

YMCA property covered by this policy includes all YMCA –owned or leased buildings and surrounding areas, such as sidewalks, walkways, parking lots and drive ways under the YMCA’s control.

“Dangerous Weapons” include, but are not limited to, handguns, firearms, explosives, knives and other weapons further defined my Michigan statute and/or local ordinance.

The YMCA appears to have taken it upon themselves to make policy that contradicts Michigan Concealed Pistol License Laws. While this has been done before by other places, it is still just policy and not law. This is just another place that is trying to take away rights from law abiding citizens.

Thoughts and opinions?

Probably in retaliation to Jan Jay.

old salt

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 04:09:17 PM »

Gun free zones are also a myth. My permit allows me to carry even in 'gun free' zones.

According to the policy, you would be in trouble if you go in there with a gun.
Voting Democrat Will Destroy Your Family, Grow Government, Raise Your Taxes, Increase Crime, Reduce Individual Rights, And Diminish Western Civilization.

Chips

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »

YMCA
Young Mens Christian Association
i am so glad they are anti-violent.
Too bad God wasn't when he killed nearly everyone
with the great flood.
So, how's that
“hope” and “change”
working out for you?

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 04:40:08 PM »

According to the policy, you would be in trouble if you go in there with a gun.

I have a sidearm permit, same as a police officer gets. (I'm a state licensed security guard)

- Socrates

JoePublicVA

• New Talker
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 08:36:23 AM »

Strange event for me recently. I go to the Y in spurts. Just paranoid me dont like keeping muc of a routine in public. As a CCW in Virginia I'm always looking at no gun sign in any biz I go in. Self employed and work anywhere 24/7 it's a necessity to carry. Anyway, at a local Y a few times i removed my outerwear exposing my firearm and maybe a few may have noticed but today I didn't expose when someone wanted to speak to me. With my items in the locker I told him he could talk to me where I'm standing. He began saying he's a board member and also a CCW holder but firearms not permitted at that Y. Then he continued w theives and policy, blah, blah, blah. I sensed his truthfulness in his representation as an official Y member and rather disputing the issue I told him I'll loc in my car. Lil gud that'll do me if having greater need arises. When he told me his name it jarred my memory as someone that i kne did serve in a local govt official capacity. Hours later I search y website found his name as a board member. Did i find that policy he stated? Nope! Whether it's an official policy or not a company rep can ask anyone to leave private property owned by that company. I believe the nex church shooting or a non-church rampage ppl gonna think twice about making and enforcing restrictive policies that a loose nut w a gun will knowingly target an ez mark. Now my heads on a swivel just getting to my car.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 10:08:16 AM »

I've carried into many non-government places where there was a sign requesting no weapons.  I just keep it out of sight and probably wouldn't use it inside. I'm still on their property most times when i leave the building but that might be viewed as different.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 10:19:00 AM »

On my list of places not to patronize, just like Starbucks.  No gun, no go, not that I carry all the time because I don't.  I usually have something in the car however.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
Pages: [1]   Go Up