MonroeTalks.com > About MonroeTalks.com > Getting Started & Site News > Flooding the site - warning

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Flooding the site - warning  (Read 5428 times)

Administration

• Web Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Talker
    • MonroeTalks.com
Flooding the site - warning
« on: June 10, 2009, 08:10:37 PM »

Alright gang, you've had your fun.  Shaggy and several other users have been temporarily banned in the past week.    This is a heads up to everyone - users who continue to flood the site will be removed without warning.   From TOS:  Abuse of the site, such as flooding the site will result in permanent bans.   

Shaggy will be back soon, please let's respect the rest of the users who wish to use the site for discussions.   We appreciate your cooperation. 

http://monroetalks.com/terms.php
MonroeTalks.com Administration

bethany6788

• Hero Talker
Re: Flooding the site - warning
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 08:13:24 PM »

Admin, I have no problem with that. What I would like to know is why we are allowing terrible posts about family to stay up on the website. There are several new posters who are just spewing nonsense and making up their own stories, such as Nevaeh never had a good meal at home. And yet these people are allowed to post still? What is the deal? Why are you allowing such posts in the Amber Alert and Rumor thread? The Rumor thread NEVER should have been started. It is in poor taste.
Beauty is whatever gives you joy. - Hugh Nibley

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 08:16:37 PM »

All any of us wanted to know was why some people who did nothing other than post opinion's got banned, and yet others who flat out threatened personal harm on some users did not. It's an extremely large double standard.

I used to work for the MEN, as a reporter for the Bedford NOW, and from me time there I thought that the staff was fairly well balanced and fair about nearly everything. I no longer feel that way.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

TPoKE

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 08:18:35 PM »

Admin, I have no problem with that. What I would like to know is why we are allowing terrible posts about family to stay up on the website. There are several new posters who are just spewing nonsense and making up their own stories, such as Nevaeh never had a good meal at home. And yet these people are allowed to post still? What is the deal? Why are you allowing such posts in the Amber Alert and Rumor thread? The Rumor thread NEVER should have been started. It is in poor taste.

and not only allow that, but refuse to let us talk about what we want to talk about as well? Why are the ones trying to defuse the crap being kicked of like they are a problem in the first place?

Edited to add:

I personally don't care if I am ever banned from this site...I don't hang out in places that discriminate nor do I want to be around were people are allowed to be generally hateful to others and about others. I stopped posting to this board BEFORE the other site was created...since you think we all went there to get away from here 8* and I left because this board discriminates, and every time I have come to lurk I discover the same sh*t...so trust me, being banned isn't necessary, but I could give two turds.

Freedom of speech is a b*#ch!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 08:26:59 PM by TPoKE »

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 08:19:48 PM »

You're not defusing anything, that's the problem. You're just inciting.

Report posts to moderators, then close your browser and have a beer. The end.
your mom goes to college.

bethany6788

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 08:21:30 PM »

I did report posts lordfly.
No worries. I just wanna know what the Admin has to say. That's it.

And ick, I don't like beer!

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
  • My handsome boy! :)
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 08:22:14 PM »

Oooohhhh a beer sounds good!

Thanks for the reminder LF!  :)

Oh, sorry... off topic....

back to topic....   

TPoKE

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 08:29:45 PM »

I didnt say I was defusing anything...if that was meant for me, I said why were those, who did try to defuse the crap, banned for standing up for someone who wasnt here to do it for themselves....

I understand that flooding the site with threads isnt the stand to take....I don't understand how my ONE thread to voice my view was offense enough to be deleted...dont I have the right to speak my peace too?...Oh, I forgot...NO I dont...Not here anyway! 8*

Administration

• Web Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Talker
    • MonroeTalks.com
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 08:31:19 PM »

This is an open discussion forum.  We don't agree with everything either, but people are welcome to post what they want (within the terms of the site).    I think the average person reading through the Rumor thread Shaggy started, can see which is fact or fiction right away.  I can't tell you how many "thank you's" we've received for having a place for residents to vent.   Agree with it or not, it is what it is.  This is our digital version of "the back yard fence"..  a place folks can chit chat about things going on in the community.   

I know people aren't always going to agree on this site, but we ask everyone to act like adults and respect each other.  Disagreements can be discussed respectfully. 

I'm sorry everyone is upset with us.  We have so many users now it hasn't been as easy to manage as in the past.    We basically have created a "no tolerance" policy with all of these new users giving them a couple warnings, then placing them on temporary leave.   Long time users we are trying to be as lenient as possible with, but we can only dole out so many warnings.

Thanks to everyone for the supportive comments sent in, we're doing our best and we appreciate the encouragement.   
MonroeTalks.com Administration

bethany6788

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 08:36:06 PM »

Then I am back to not posting on here. It's ridiculous that people can cry riot and say they want to harm a family, and that's okay because they are venting. I get it now. Thanks :)

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
  • My handsome boy! :)
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 08:36:08 PM »

Admin, even though you haven't completely answered the questions at hand, I do thank you for stepping up to the plate and posting SOMETHING. It's a step in the right direction at least.....

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 08:39:34 PM »

That answers some questions. But why was I told that I should just not post in a thread because others did not agree with my opinion? Is my opinion not valid just because it is the minority?

I've tried my best to understand that. I've asked my parents, my friends, current coworkers. No one seems to understand the logic behind that.  I've done nothing to intentionally break any site rules, and in fact have even kindly asked other to follow them. It wasn't all that long ago that I got a thank you from the Admin of this site for doing just that.

I'm very confused, and would like a couple of answers.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

tampachicken

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »

why were the other threads deleted... especially the one where we were talking about censorship....

I did not see anyone violating the terms of service...  unless being annoying is a term of service?  or maybe a requirement?

ell

• Hero Talker
  • Nothing beats a good paddle
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »

All any of us wanted to know was why some people who did nothing other than post opinion's got banned, and yet others who flat out threatened personal harm on some users did not. It's an extremely large double standard.

I used to work for the MEN, as a reporter for the Bedford NOW, and from me time there I thought that the staff was fairly well balanced and fair about nearly everything. I no longer feel that way.

Ditto
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thouroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 07:04:20 AM »

i would really like to see the posts that they made that got them banned!
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up