BALLOON LAUNCH IN MEMORY OF NEVAEHSaturday, June 13
after the funeral. The procession to the cemetery will drive by Munson Park
, which was Nevaeh's favorite place to play, and then on to Custer Statute.Who Should Attend?
MEET AT: Munson Park
- Anyone interested
- Children are welcome
- If you can't come, coordinate your own balloon release on Saturday at home
** when looking at the map...meet just to the right of where the red star indicator is located on mapquest
The red star is the driveway / entrance to the park and parking. There is also a skateramp there. If people start parking there and heading toward N. Custer road they cannot be missed. Park in the skatepark; as that starts filling up, park farther back. It is very obvious.
- Once in the Park, meet up around the Pavillion. Look for BALLOONS. Everyone will move toward N. Custer Rd as it nears time for the procession.
11:00 a.m. for those inflating balloons at the park
12 p.m. for those with balloons inflated
- ~ Merkle stated once the service is over, he is just estimating it will take until 1:45 / 2:00 pm for the procession to get to Munson Park. It could be earlier.
- shanarose informed us law enforcement are planning for the funeral to end around 1:15
- These are Time Estimates. Don't want anyone to miss the balloon release.
- Service won't be lengthy.
- It's up to you when you get there. Just giving you timelines, so you can estimate when you want to arrive.
12:00 p.m.PROCESSION TO CEMETERY: Cars Line Up
between 12:45 / 1:00 p.m. (Estimated)Note: Merkle wil contact Mary when the procession turns the last corner before it reaches Munson Park. Weather Prediction:30% chance of rain at 11:00 am ~ 66 F/Few Showers
30% chance of rain at 12:00 pm ~ 66 F/Few Showers
60% chance of rain at 1:00 pm ~ 65 F/Rain - Thunder
70% chance of rain at 2:00 pm ~ 64 F/Rain - Thunder
60% chance of rain at 3:00 pm ~ 65 F/Rain - ThunderOPTIONAL: Shirt ColorsPurple
- Nevaeh's favorite colorGreen
- Color symbolizing missing childrenYellow
- Color search team wore
Black - MourningBRING TRASHBAGS
~ to collect inflated balloons for release & to collect garbage/clean upBRING YOUR OWN BALLOONS
**If you don't have balloons, come anyway. People are bringing extra!
You Do Not Have To Have Balloons; Just ComePurple:
- Any color will be great
- Bring at least 5 balloons or more if you want
- Latex ONLY for environmental reasons; NO MYLAR
- No Ribbons or Strings on balloons for environmental reasons
- Suggestion: Bring balloons in large trash bag to open and release
- Purchase balloons already inflated OR
- Purchase disposable helium (Target or Walmart) OR
- Coordinate with BlessedMomof2 (she can accommodate @ 60 balloons with her tank)
- Scissors to cut off ribbons on any balloons
Nevaeh's favorite colorYellow & Pink:
Colors of Nevaeh's favorite blanketAlternate Route If Street Blocked
If the main streets are blocked, you can always take Stewart Rd to Bates Lane then up North Custer to Munson.GENERAL INFORMATION
- Balloons will be released as the hearse passes Munson Park...to float to heaven for Nevaeh.
- This is NOT a party. It's a celebration of Nevaeh's life and remembrance of her in death. It's a sweet farewell to a beautiful child.
- Paula suggested you bring your lunch to eat prior to the procession starting
- A few card tables are needed
- Some of the people wanted to arrive in enough time to set up / run errands / find parking, so that's how the time got settled out.
- Everyone please be conscious of our trash lying around, please.
- Important Note: The airport has been contacted of the balloon release
- No Shelter available
- We have approval from the City Dept. of Recreation
- Aunt B needs a cooler
- Bug Spray ~ skeeters are bad
- sunscreen? if no rain
- The restrooms are on the right/east side of the Park. Behind the wooden playground area.
Since there's going to be some "standby time," you may as well bring your lunches to the park. In addition to Food Town that is nearby, there are several fast food places on N. Telegraph Rd. between Custer Rd. / Elm Ave. and Stewart Rd.
Food Town is on Telegraph Rd., about a block north of N. Custer Rd.
- If you all are looking for coffee / picnic food when you arrive in Monroe, there is a Food Town grocery store and Panera Bread at the corner of N. Custer Rd. and Telegraph Rd.
- N. Custer Rd. / Elm Ave. is one of our main east-west routes through Monroe.
- from Sylvania, ... it is possible to come up via US-23 and M-50
- Central Ave. / I-475 (Sylvania-ish) and we have found it takes 45 minutes from Monroe either US-23 or I-75 into Michigan.
- Directions: I-75 to Exit 14 Elm Ave. Monroe, get off that ramp, go west / follow signs into Monroe. Elm Ave. becomes N. Custer Rd. after you get on the other side of town.
2770 N Custer Rd, Monroe, MI 48162Stores Selling Balloons
- Dollar Tree is at 501 N. Telegraph Rd., about five blocks north of N. Custer Rd.
dollar tree is in the same plaza as Blockbuster video
- They told the funeral home they may not accept anymore in the procession, however if you and your bike show up at the church to join the procession you will not be turned away. Brian Merkle did mention a lot of the bikes are Sheriff employees.