In the need of sanity...I had to find a way to move from mourning to action. I hope somehow and someway we can change what has happened and find a way to help prevent it. Here are my thoughts...and then this is where I will leave the topic. It's just way too painful.
We need to find solutions.
1. A class where parents learn about pedophiles and the grooming process. Also, where they learn about the recidivism of sex offenders. I know most parents think it's a no brainer that we shouldn't bring our children around sex offenders...but, after working with the courts...you'd be surprised what skills some people are not born with. Plus, some parents want to believe people can change. We need them to know the facts about what risk they are taking by trusting someone possibly changed or was wrongly convicted "it was consentual" is such a popular response to someone convicted and on the sex offender list.
2. We need stricter laws of consequence. We need to ask ourselves why we have such a high population of sex offenders here. I bet this isn't just a coincidence. We also need to look up the judge who gave the sentences to both these sex offenders. Perhaps we shouldn't vote such judges in. When we as a community talk... they have to listen or they don't have a job!
3. Perhaps someone with the no how to get information could create a .org website that shows the convicted sex offenders, their sentences, and how long they actually had to serve, and the judges making the convictions/sentences so we can be aware of how lenient our town is on such convictions. I have seen some really sad outcomes. We really need information that is legit given to us as a community so we can know what to do to change the "good old boy" mentality in our town.
4. People who have children/grandchildren/etc need to be taught how to go to the Michigan sex offender list and set up on an email system that sends an email when a sex offender moves into the area...I receive 3 a week...scary huh? I do sign up for all parts of Monroe. http://www.mipsor.state.mi.us/PSORDisclaimer.aspx
enter the code to say you agree and then sign up for the emails. This is straight from the state of Michigan.
5. When we meet new people...ask their first/last name...and guess what? There is another website that allows us to look up records. http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis2.asp
6. For all the people who want to do good in the community, help children... and have the ability to do so... check into C.A.S.A and volunteer. Second, ever thought of adopting a foster child? It's a great way to help future Nevaehs.
7. The children's court is the lowest funded ...what can we as a community do to change this? The children lack rights, the system is overloaded and departments underfunded, underemployed, etc that sets up cracks in our protection of children.
We need to quit focusing on the hate at her family etc and start figuring out how to take what happened to this baby girl and make sure we do what we can to stop it. Think about it...we can't change what has happened and we all came together...lets take this anger energy and put it to protect our children. Please, those who have an ability to do any of these helps... we need it.