MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Metal Detecting/Treasure Hunting

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Metal Detecting/Treasure Hunting  (Read 15731 times)

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
Metal Detecting/Treasure Hunting
« on: June 23, 2009, 09:45:41 AM »

Has anyone ever done this? If so, did you find anything interesting?
The only thing that I’ve found is some loose change and some old rusted metal.
I haven't done it in a while but I'm looking into getting back into it.
I have a metal detector but its not that very good but it works.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

Skippy

• Hero Talker
Re: Metal Detecting/Treasure Hunting
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:25:17 AM »

Last summer I borrowed a co-worker's metal detector for a week or so. I had fun with it and found a lot of change, some of it from the 20's. I wanted to use it more but I had other things going on. I'm thinking about asking him to borrow it again this summer because I had so much fun with it last year.
I would recommend doing it. It's a lot of fun and you can find some pretty interesting stuff. Good places to look for stuff are parks, playgrounds, beaches, around old homes, and along sidewalks (change falls out of pockets and rolls into the grass).
When you get a signal that something is buried and actually start digging, to be respectful of the property owners dig a "plug". That means that you take your small shovel and cut an approx. 6" circle through just the grass at first, making a plug. Lift the grass plug out intact and then set that aside. Then start digging straight down from the hole made from the plug, being careful to set the dirt all in one spot. Once you retrieve your treasure, place all the dirt back in the hole and then place your plug back on top of the hole. If you do it right, you can barely tell that the grass has been disturbed. By digging like this the property owner will most likely not care if you come back again to search for stuff.

Happy hunting!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:20:04 AM »

A few years ago I did some 'searching with a backhoe.  I was running water lines from the house to the barn(s) and dug through a treasure trove of old bottles, primitives and other stuff, from a long gone previous owner.  Our farmhouse is over 100 years old.

Some of the bottles fetched a hefty price on flea-bay and we found one very rare milk bottle from a long defunct local dairy that we kept.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:55:39 PM »

Last summer I borrowed a co-worker's metal detector for a week or so. I had fun with it and found a lot of change, some of it from the 20's. I wanted to use it more but I had other things going on. I'm thinking about asking him to borrow it again this summer because I had so much fun with it last year.
I would recommend doing it. It's a lot of fun and you can find some pretty interesting stuff. Good places to look for stuff are parks, playgrounds, beaches, around old homes, and along sidewalks (change falls out of pockets and rolls into the grass).
When you get a signal that something is buried and actually start digging, to be respectful of the property owners dig a "plug". That means that you take your small shovel and cut an approx. 6" circle through just the grass at first, making a plug. Lift the grass plug out intact and then set that aside. Then start digging straight down from the hole made from the plug, being careful to set the dirt all in one spot. Once you retrieve your treasure, place all the dirt back in the hole and then place your plug back on top of the hole. If you do it right, you can barely tell that the grass has been disturbed. By digging like this the property owner will most likely not care if you come back again to search for stuff.

Happy hunting!!
Good advice. Problem is finding someone that you don't know giving you permission.

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 01:01:23 PM »

A few years ago I did some 'searching with a backhoe.  I was running water lines from the house to the barn(s) and dug through a treasure trove of old bottles, primitives and other stuff, from a long gone previous owner.  Our farmhouse is over 100 years old.

Some of the bottles fetched a hefty price on flea-bay and we found one very rare milk bottle from a long defunct local dairy that we kept.
It wouldn't surprise me if you would find money buried on your property. I have an idea where on where to look.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 01:30:45 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if you would find money buried on your property. I have an idea where on where to look.

Obviously, you've spied on me burying my mason jars...........................

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 02:12:36 PM »

Obviously, you've spied on me burying my mason jars...........................
LOL. Nope, its just some research I've been doing and it kind of make sense. Beside's, I have no idea where you live. If you want, PM me and I give tell you a location to look.

afveteran88

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 02:00:49 PM »

About five years ago I got a detector and started using it over the summer. Had some fun with it, but you really need to have time to do it. I got a top of the line White's for about $550 and found about $10 in change with it. The thing sat for 4 years then I sold it on ebay for $400. Not to bad and fun if you have TIME. I went ot the fair grounds afer the fair and found alot of stuff. Enjoy it if you have the TIME.
"If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier."

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:19:13 PM »

Hunting around my own property is one thing, hunting on public property is another.  With my lame luck, I'd discover an unexploded warhead...... ;D

Chloecray

• New Talker
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 03:49:36 AM »

I have done quite a bit of metal detecting, but when I try to take minimal kit with me, so the detector usually stays behind. I have found old keys, silver rings, pewter lighters, all kinds of pewter crap, and of course coins while metal detecting around old areas. Not much valuable metal detecting finds, but all interesting to me. www.detectorall.com/categories/Metal-Detectors
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:52:15 AM by Chloecray »

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »

We found tons of bottle caps and pull tabs from pop cans.

Look in hillbilly's gardens, that's where my father-in-law used to bury antique guns and money in PVC pipes. Freshly disturbed dirt isn't suspicious in a garden like it would be beside a building or somewhere else. 
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

kingsleyke

• New Talker
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 03:35:56 AM »

Well, metal detecting is far more difficult that I think. Besides owning a good metal detector, the most important thing is that you should be very patient. Because you will find much more scraps than treasures.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 10:22:53 AM »

I need someone to come over with a detector and help find my lawnmower key.   :-\   It fell out while I was mowing.  I ran out of gas and had to refill the tank.  I didn't realize the key was gone until I wanted to start it up again. . .   

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 10:40:21 AM »

I need someone to come over with a detector and help find my lawnmower key.   :-\   It fell out while I was mowing.  I ran out of gas and had to refill the tank.  I didn't realize the key was gone until I wanted to start it up again. . .   
Good news is that whatever brand it is - it's likely they all have the same key...   so it's fairly easy to replace.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 11:02:28 AM »

Oh, ok.  Didn't know that :)  Now I'm wondering if they gave me a spare when I bought it.  Will have to look in the file drawer.  Thanks Professor!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up