MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Metal Detecting/Treasure Hunting

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metal Detecting/Treasure Hunting  (Read 11865 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Metal Detecting/Treasure Hunting
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2013, 07:59:29 AM »

I'm sure the neighbors I.D'd as living on the old Monroe Fort site will have some requests for Metal detectors...   Civil War era stuff would be cool to find.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

ShayneThill

• New Talker
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2013, 03:09:58 AM »

I got a best metal detector, but I got no Civil War stuff. It is not so easy as you think.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:29:10 PM by ShayneThill »

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2013, 08:10:36 AM »

Are those handles adjustable lengthwise? 

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 11:46:40 PM »

I'm sure the neighbors I.D'd as living on the old Monroe Fort site will have some requests for Metal detectors...   Civil War era stuff would be cool to find.

Monroe had a Fort??????????
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

superspice_10

• Hero Talker
  • Ahahahahahahaha !!!!!
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2014, 01:20:43 PM »

Yea... Spring is here , the ground is thawing .... Can't wait to go dirt digging .... Now comes the hard part ... Researching and trying to get permission so I got somewhere to go :) .... ( anybody knows of anywhere good to go le me know other than the state park , like and old abandoned farm ) by the way good to be back :)
Here Kitty Kitty !!!!

Dead Time is 3:00 am.

Go # 88 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REBELOUS SINCE 1975 !!!!!!!!!!  8)

AND YOUR POINT IS ??? OH JUST SHUT UP , YOUR TIME IS UP NOW , MOVIN ON NOW !!!!!!!!  8*

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2014, 01:34:51 PM »

Monroe had a Fort??????????

Depending on your definition of a fort there were probably a few of them over the years...

to me this one definitely qualifies though...

from over in the history thread:  http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28840.0

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2014, 01:45:44 PM »

Are those handles adjustable lengthwise?

Most I've ever used are adjustable...

Yea... Spring is here , the ground is thawing .... Can't wait to go dirt digging .... Now comes the hard part ... Researching and trying to get permission so I got somewhere to go :) .... ( anybody knows of anywhere good to go le me know other than the state park , like and old abandoned farm ) by the way good to be back :)

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for you superspice...

If you want to 'practice' just go walking through any 'platted' subdivision in your neighborhood.  Almost every lot corner 'should' have a metal stake of piece of pipe buried at the corner of the lot.  They 'usually' line up on fences or tree lines but not always.  It can be lots of fun unless you discover that years ago your neighbor 'annexed' some of your property ;D ;D ;D

You can go to this website and find and print the plat maps for every recorded subdivision in Monroe County...  for all of Michigan in fact!

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/platmaps/dt_image.asp

Let me know if you have any problems downloading the info and I'll walk you through it ;) ;) ;)
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

superspice_10

• Hero Talker
  • Ahahahahahahaha !!!!!
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2014, 03:04:51 PM »

Thanks BRD ....  :)... I'll check that out .... Had a lot to deal with this past winter and pretty much of it was not all fun but hopefully things are letting up a bit and I'll have time to get out a bit... So impatient to be outside ... I'll keep u informed ... Thanks so much and sorry I haven't been around ... Like I said nice to be back :)
Here Kitty Kitty !!!!

AND YOUR POINT IS ??? OH JUST SHUT UP , YOUR TIME IS UP NOW , MOVIN ON NOW !!!!!!!!  8*

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2014, 05:06:22 PM »

Yep, I can't wait either. I recently got me a pin-pointer to use.
I already told my son that once the river water drops, that's where well be going.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2014, 05:09:44 PM »

As far as the forts go. One, like the picture above, is said to have been where the vet clinic now stands. I heard that one used to be on the east side between the railroad tracks. A RR station was built on the location. I think I remember reading that it was torn down sometime in the 80's.
Another one is suspected of having been closer to the lake. No one is really sure.

It is suspected that Monroe/Frenchtown had at least 3 to 4 forts at one time.

superspice_10

• Hero Talker
  • Ahahahahahahaha !!!!!
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2014, 05:23:43 PM »

Good deal Mayo .... Been searching for info on going to the battlefield .. It's very hard to find any info . One of these days I'll have to remember to call before the office call before 5 lol .. Found another lady that likes dirt digging too. Haven't been able to hook up yet but I'm sure we will soon ...  :D
Here Kitty Kitty !!!!

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2014, 05:52:13 PM »

I was at the battlefield the other day and asked about it.
From what I was told... No that wasn't possible and if it was, it would be something park directed and would require a permit.

So within the park limits is a no-go but, there are several areas that are not of the park property yet. Like the west side of Dixie and Elm where the ice rink is at and further. The historical marker is placed on that side. Why? Because earlier research showed that's where the battle actually took place. - Just to let you know, I use "battle" as a loose reference for this.

So public property in that area might be good to look into. Like I mentioned earlier. Michigan Waterways. I'm sure back then, the creeks and waterways were crossed and jumped and thing's fell and were lost. Who know's what was dropped.

Right now Waterloo park is flooded. When the water goes down and it dries up, I'll be there.

superspice_10

• Hero Talker
  • Ahahahahahahaha !!!!!
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2014, 07:48:02 PM »

Thanks Mayo for finding out that info ... The parks and recreation lady emailed me a copy of the rules for the city of Monroe and u can only dig 3 to 5 inches and can only use a small trowel or screwdriver ... Waterloo park would be good , probably not much checking up on ya there. I got a couple places lined up I want to get to in Frenchtown ... They're a little more lenient out here :) ... Good luck to you and have fun :)
Here Kitty Kitty !!!!

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2014, 10:48:17 AM »

I got some good news today. I had a meeting and got a permit to metal detect on State land.

superspice_10

• Hero Talker
  • Ahahahahahahaha !!!!!
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2015, 11:31:56 AM »

Got shot down from the owner of the old North Monroe Greenhouse to dig on the property for now .. Can't believe with all the open space in this county that it's that hard to find a place to dig up holes ( clean holes that is) .  Seems no one wants to say " yea go ahead make a mess " lol ..... Guess it's Back to the state park  :-\
Here Kitty Kitty !!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up