MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Monroe Bank & Trust suspends it's dividend payments.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe Bank & Trust suspends it's dividend payments.  (Read 7246 times)

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
Re: Monroe Bank & Trust suspends it's dividend payments.
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2009, 07:34:28 PM »

It's not an investment, it's a gamble then.

No it's not. If people can't afford to invest, and choose not to invest. It's a sound decision, no gamble.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

spartanfan1

• Hero Talker
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2009, 07:44:24 PM »

Actually it is a gamble then because you invest with the expectations to make money.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2009, 09:00:34 PM »

Agreed. And the fact that it was built downtown on the backs of all other businesses. It exasperated the deplorable parking situation.

Don't start with parking. I've lived downtown three years and have yet to NOT find a suitable parking spot.

People, especially business owners, complaining about downtown parking is just covering up for their businesses lagging in other regards. If your biz sucks, more parking won't bring people to your doors. If your biz is GOOD, people don't mind walking the (gasp, horror) three blocks to get there.

People start twitching when they have to park their car down Front Street, but will gladly walk for 3 solid minutes through the asphalt sea in front of a big box retailer...
your mom goes to college.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2009, 09:01:39 PM »

Unless it is a zero risk bond such as a government bond or an investor grade bond.

Aren't both currently trading at near-zero returns? With inflation at 4-5%, aren't you losing money with zero-risk bonds?
your mom goes to college.

Flanders

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2009, 09:37:28 PM »

nearly breaking even.  No risk = No return

Flanders

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2009, 09:40:23 PM »

For those of you who are chasing a bad stock because it used to have a higher price, why not invest in penny stocks as well.  After all they have nowhere to go but up right?

Jim Richards

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2009, 11:15:54 PM »

People start twitching when they have to park their car down Front Street, but will gladly walk for 3 solid minutes through the asphalt sea in front of a big box retailer...
That is true. Very true. But at the same time, you do agree that people have a problem with present situation if they have to park three blocks away. There is lack of parking downtown. Then there is the parking tickets and the hassle of validating them, etc.

And you present the age-old argument. Because there is no parking downtown, some use that argument to justify having to walk, as you say, three blocks. Come on...what if someone who needs to stop real quick, say at the local men's clothier, to possibly grab a pair of pants that were hemmed. To have to walk that far would certainly be a long walk for a short drink of water.

The people who espouse that false argument think people are stupid? If they say it enough, people will believe it?

Don't start with parking. I've lived downtown three years and have yet to NOT find a suitable parking spot.
Your posts are usually witty and challenging. Can't say this comment has any merit concerning the lack of parking that you claim does not exist. To say there is not a parking problem is laughable and absolutely absurd.

People, especially business owners, complaining about downtown parking is just covering up for their businesses lagging in other regards. If your biz sucks, more parking won't bring people to your doors. If your biz is GOOD, people don't mind walking the (gasp, horror) three blocks to get there.
There's another gem. Are you kidding? Certainly the business owners are complaining. To say it's a cover up because their businesses sucks is preposterous. You usually have some facts, statistics or a cartoon of some sort. If you really think there is no parking problem, you better stick to the shtick. I really enjoy your comedy, but you are way off base on this one.

Interesting. You say that you're one of the apartment dwellers taking up parking spots that the businesses' customers could be using.
Your same argument could be posed. People, especially apartment dwellers, feigning about downtown parking being adequate are just covering up for their taking up parking spots from businesses.

Maybe a solution for the lack of parking and improve the downtown and the business outlook would be to ban all apartment dwellers from parking on the main downtown streets. Go park by the river because you don't mind walking the (gasp, horror) three blocks to get to your apartment, right? Nothing personal Fly, but you wouldn't mind being part of the solution to the downtown woes, would ya?

Contrary to your opinion, I think it is firmly established that the businesses suffer from not enough parking. Period! If I'm wrong, give us something to refute that there is no parking problem downtown.

And yes I know, this is off topic. But MB&T took away the parking lot and put up that 4-story monstrosity in its place.
Kinda reminds me of that old song:
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot...
Don't it always seem to go,
that you don't know what you've got till its gone
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot

In their case, they took the parking lot and put up what many thought was going to be paradise. Nothing paradisaical about the lack of parking downtown.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 10:08:07 PM by Jim Richards »

spartanfan1

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2009, 01:15:58 AM »

Aren't both currently trading at near-zero returns? With inflation at 4-5%, aren't you losing money with zero-risk bonds?
It honestly depends, I have not checked government bonds lately. Investor grade bonds almost always, if not always, are at a higher rate than government bonds. Currently government bonds are trading around .5%, I believe, a year because they cannot really afford to take on that debt so quick. I am not sure what investment grade bonds are at currently, but I would assume it would be .75% for a year investment, because they can't afford to take on the debt as well. Both these go up decently quick depending on the more years add on.

Obviously junk bonds (rated BB or B, I believe) give you higher rates. Once you get down to D, which I think is the lowest, means they are very high, but the corporations have failed to pay them off for awhile, and they are most likely going to go bankrupt which means you make no money. Also, prior to the current economic meltdown both those number we much higher.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 01:33:15 AM by spartanfan1 »

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2009, 07:42:24 AM »

I do wish I'd picked up some LZB under a dollar, but I did acquire quite a bit of Ford between $1.63 and $1.71 at that same time, so I can't complain too much.  I like to invest in local companies, when practical.

I couldn't resist that Ford stock either TMT, got in at 1.98 and sold about 70% of it at 7.05.  It has been traditionally a 8 to 13 value......it may make 8 again....who the hell knows.

I needed that winner.......I took a beating like most others did on their retirement portfolios.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2009, 09:48:11 AM »

I couldn't resist that Ford stock either TMT, got in at 1.98 and sold about 70% of it at 7.05.  It has been traditionally a 8 to 13 value......it may make 8 again....who the hell knows.

I needed that winner.......I took a beating like most others did on their retirement portfolios.

I'm glad you had a winner there, Fuzz!  Making $4.31 a share is fantastic!

I lost a lot of money with Ford (and GE and Home Depot) - I sold it (was forced to) when it was around $4.20, when I got divorced.

Be glad you still HAVE a retirement account!  I'm starting all over, at 46 years old, with nothing invested for retirement.  And there's nothing there to invest these days.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2009, 10:01:45 AM »

I had to sell a lot of stuff at a loss to cover the initial purchase.  It was the only way I saw of trying to make some of the losses up.

This economy is just a ***** man!
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

T-M-T

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2016, 01:42:29 PM »

They're baaaack! 

M B T Financial (NASDAQ:MBTF) declares $0.03/share regular dividend. (first since 2009)Payable Feb. 19; for shareholders of record Feb. 12; ex-div Feb. 10. Additionally, Board declared special dividend of $0.50/share payable along with regular dividend.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3064246-m-b-t-financial-declares-0_03-dividend

Haven't seen many of these posters in a long while, but I do remember being ridiculed for loading up on MBTF when it was hovering around $1.  Glad I held on!

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2016, 02:53:46 PM »

They're baaaack! 

M B T Financial (NASDAQ:MBTF) declares $0.03/share regular dividend. (first since 2009)Payable Feb. 19; for shareholders of record Feb. 12; ex-div Feb. 10. Additionally, Board declared special dividend of $0.50/share payable along with regular dividend.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3064246-m-b-t-financial-declares-0_03-dividend

Haven't seen many of these posters in a long while, but I do remember being ridiculed for loading up on MBTF when it was hovering around $1.  Glad I held on!

Congrats, TMT!!!!!

I wish I had bought a ton of it at a dollar.  If I had the money, I would have.

It's over $8.00 today, plus the dividend! 

Very cool.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2016, 02:57:32 PM »

I have an ominous feeling it's headed to the toilet in the next 6 months....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up