MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Religion & Philosophy > Gnosticism

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gnosticism  (Read 2720 times)

zard0z

Re: Gnosticism
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 11:39:32 AM »

Why Not? If I may ask.  

Because I don't feel that those who prey upon other people should be given the all clear of their sins, just because they "accept" Jesus...!   Murders, rapist, pedophiles...Would you want to go to heaven and find it filled with these sort of people, all in the name of Jesus!  Somethings are just not forgivable in my eyes...

www.BarackObama.com

• Hero Talker
  • It's A New Day
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 11:41:01 AM »

Bumper stickers!!! LMFAO!

I used to have this older Tempo, and when I was pre-Evangelist I had about 9 bumper stickers about God and Christ... I used to wonder if the people that rear-ended me did it on purpose. LOL

Good times!
<a href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNGcPVRBts-o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNGcPVRBts-o</a>

sue lee

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 12:05:38 PM »

So thus far it's Gnostics, Muslims, and Witches that are going to hell.

For those of you playing at home.

I think Christ Follower is going to be pretty lonely in his version of heaven
The best mannered people make the most absurd lovers.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 12:43:05 PM »

I think Christ Follower is going to be pretty lonely in his version of heaven

Yeah, that's my issue.

If God is so selective about who gets into Heaven (whether or not CF's version of "accept Him and all shall be Gravy" is true), it's going to be a very boring, very lonely eternity.

I'd rather whittle my infinity away arguing with Socrates and Einstein and Jefferson and Franklin, rather than singing hymns and bowing down all the time.
your mom goes to college.

riversbend

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 12:44:10 PM »

So thus far it's Gnostics, Muslims, and Witches that are going to hell.

For those of you playing at home.

Well from the looks of my avatar I'll be there................lol

I don't believe.......oh never mind, I really don't want to get in to what I believe and don't believe.  8)

SPOOKYTOOTH

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 05:46:18 AM »

One of the most dangerous heresies of the first two centuries of the church was Gnosticism. It's central teaching was the spirit is entirely good and matter is evil. From this unbiblical dualism flowed five important errors.

1) Man's body, which is matter, is therfore evil. It is to be contrasted with God, who is wholly spirit and therefore good.

2) Salvation is the escape from the body, achieved not by faith in Christ but by special knowledge(the greek word for knowledge is gnosis, hence Gnosticism).

3) Christ true humility was deied in two ways: 1-Some said Christ only seemed to have a body, a view called Docetism, from the greek word dokeo (to seem). and 2-others said that the devine Christ joined the man Jesus at baptism and left him before he died, a view called Cerinthianism, after it's most prominet spokesman, Cerinthus. This view was combated in much of the epistle of 1John

4) Since the body was considered evil, it was treated harshly. This ascetic form of Gnosticism is the background of part of the letter to the Colossians.

5) Paradoxicallyu, this dualism also led to licentiousness. The reasoning was that, since matter-and not the breaking of Gods Law was considered evil, breaking his law was of no moral consequence.

The Gnosticism addressed in the NT was an early form of the heresy, not the inticately developed system of the second and third centuries. In addition to that seen in Colossians and in Johns letters, acquaintance with early Gnosticism is reflected in 1,2 Timoth, Titus, and 2 peter and perhapes in 1 Corinthians.

Johns readers were confronted with an early form of the Gnostic teaching of the Cerinthian variety. This heresy was also libertine, throwing off al moral restraints. Consequently, John wrote his epistle with two basic purposes in mind 1: to expose false teachers and 2: to give believers assurance of salvation. In keeping with his intention to combat Gnostic teachers, John specifically struck at their total lack of morality and by giving eyewitness testimony to the incarnation, he sought to confirm his readers belief in the incarnate Christ.

The epistle of John as well as other scriptures proved that Gnosticism was a dangerous heresy. Beware of false teaching they can and will seperate us from the true gospel of Christ.

I am curious...how would you describe an esoteric language? What is it, and how does it apply to God?  Furthermore....what is implied by Christ's name...The Word, why would He be called the Word?  Did you ever wonder...or just accept without question?   One more question..what is the Truth, or rather...what is Truth?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up