MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > New to Area, Does anyone have school suggestions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to Area, Does anyone have school suggestions  (Read 11545 times)

supermom

• Hero Talker
Re: New to Area, Does anyone have school suggestions
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2007, 11:38:51 PM »

I have been part of the private school sector for over 20 years. I do not know of ANY child/family that was ever turned away for the inability to pay. If you are DEDICATED to sending your child to a private school, talk with the pastor/priest and principal. You will be amazed at their willingness to work with you and your family.

Supermom,
Please give me the name of that school in Monroe. I know of a whole neighborhood of underprivileged kids who would love to attend that school for free. Thank you for the information.
[/quote]

Any private school in Monroe! Remember, the family has to be DEDICATED to a private school education and speak with the pastor/priest and principal. Good luck!

eaglepride

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2007, 11:50:48 PM »

I have been part of the private school sector for over 20 years. I do not know of ANY child/family that was ever turned away for the inability to pay. If you are DEDICATED to sending your child to a private school, talk with the pastor/priest and principal. You will be amazed at their willingness to work with you and your family.

Supermom,
Please give me the name of that school in Monroe. I know of a whole neighborhood of underprivileged kids who would love to attend that school for free. Thank you for the information.

Any private school in Monroe! Remember, the family has to be DEDICATED to a private school education and speak with the pastor/priest and principal. Good luck!
[/quote]

Lady are you in lala land or have you been drinking? lol How about you coming and representing all these wonderful underprivileged children and their parents? Better yet, how about going down to ALCC and setting everything up with Mr. Sweat for all these kids to go to private school for free. The parents are all dedicated.

supermom

• Hero Talker
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2007, 12:11:35 AM »

Supermom,

Lady are you in lala land or have you been drinking? lol How about you coming and representing all these wonderful underprivileged children and their parents? Better yet, how about going down to ALCC and setting everything up with Mr. Sweat for all these kids to go to private school for free. The parents are all dedicated.
[/quote]

If the parents, as you say, are all dedicated, then they would have sought a solution to their problem. How many of those children and their parents really want to attend a private school? Is it that they want out of their failing school?
I am not drinking and I am not in lala land. I know for a FACT several families who attend private schools that can not afford the tuition. However, the families are dedicated individuals and have taken it upon themselves to seek out a better education in the private school sector. And they were not turned away.

You seem to want to help all the underprivileged children! However, it is their PARENTS that have to want to send their children to a private school and they have to be DEDICATED to that. I am not going to do the work for them. They have to WANT that for their children and they have to do the work. It seems that you just want everything handed to them without their input or effort. I bet that is why they are where they are.

eaglepride

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2007, 12:26:33 AM »

Supermom,

If the parents, as you say, are all dedicated, then they would have sought a solution to their problem. How many of those children and their parents really want to attend a private school? Is it that they want out of their failing school?
I am not drinking and I am not in lala land. I know for a FACT several families who attend private schools that can not afford the tuition. However, the families are dedicated individuals and have taken it upon themselves to seek out a better education in the private school sector. And they were not turned away.

You seem to want to help all the underprivileged children! However, it is their PARENTS that have to want to send their children to a private school and they have to be DEDICATED to that. I am not going to do the work for them. They have to WANT that for their children and they have to do the work. It seems that you just want everything handed to them without their input or effort. I bet that is why they are where they are.
[/quote]

Supermom,
Would you post your real name and make comments like that? If you are that strong in your convictions, do it. Who said the kids were at a failing school?  On judgement day tell the man upstairs or your super power all that mumbo jumbo you just said. I think they would like to hear it. You are definitely out of touch with reality.

no one gets my name right anyway

• Hero Talker
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »

I agree, Jenjen.  Plus, there is a difference between an ADULT being where they are due to their actions, and a young child who is not being taught the full spectrum of options.

Post the name of the school willing to take in anyone who can't pay.  Then, post the list of requirements that child and family must adhere to in order to stay.  I wouldn't be surprised if soul-selling was on that list!

chris

• Hero Talker
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2007, 02:43:07 PM »

she didnt say you could get into a private school for FREE.  she said you had to be dedicated.  i know for a fact that any private school in monroe WILL work with you if you really want to send your kid(s) there.  again, its FAR from getting a free ride.  the parents need to work hard and be dedicated to the school.  they need to volunteer for school events, and maybe even work in the cafeteria for a couple days a month.  they will work with you to get grants from the archdiocese, and maybe even a small low-interest loan from a bank.  but they will get your kids in if you really want. 

ill reply to that question with another question:  have you been to a private school to inquire about assistance?  if so you would realize that EVERY private school in monroe will work with you.

MG

• Active Talker
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2007, 03:32:35 PM »

she didnt say you could get into a private school for FREE.  she said you had to be dedicated.  i know for a fact that any private school in monroe WILL work with you if you really want to send your kid(s) there.  again, its FAR from getting a free ride.  the parents need to work hard and be dedicated to the school.  they need to volunteer for school events, and maybe even work in the cafeteria for a couple days a month.  they will work with you to get grants from the archdiocese, and maybe even a small low-interest loan from a bank.  but they will get your kids in if you really want. 

That’s the problem!  A family facing financial hardships perhaps does not appear to be DEDICATED because they might be too busy working to make ends meet.  It is a vicious cycle and a very hard decision for some to make.  Yes, there are some out there who do not value education, but the quality of dedication from an underprivileged family can not be judged by the standards of a middle class lifestyle.

MG

MG

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on." ~Winston Curchill

caspar

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2007, 04:29:19 PM »

Supermom and Chris,

I don't want to hurt your feelings or get you all defensive and I know you probably believe what you are saying. But I think you have some wrong information. Are you telling me that if say 50 kids showed up at say Trinity or St. Johns and they wanted to attend there, but had no money to offer, they would still be accepted?

chris

• Hero Talker
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2007, 02:35:52 PM »

That’s the problem!  A family facing financial hardships perhaps does not appear to be DEDICATED because they might be too busy working to make ends meet.

well there is always grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc that can help.  if both parents are working that uch that they cant help a few hours a week at school, then there is obviously some family member or family friend babysitting the kids while the parents are working.  after all, one of the big values a catholc school teaches is how important your whole family is.  not everything is or should be placed upon the parents.  grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins are all part of the support system for the child and should be involved with the child's education.

I don't want to hurt your feelings or get you all defensive and I know you probably believe what you are saying. But I think you have some wrong information. Are you telling me that if say 50 kids showed up at say Trinity or St. Johns and they wanted to attend there, but had no money to offer, they would still be accepted?

no, im not saying that all 50 of those kids will be accepted.  but the school WILL work with them, and find out which families are elligible for financial aid, and what else the family has to offer besides money. 

just a point i want to make:  some of you have the attitude that catholic schools are out to accept only rich people and throw a cold shoulder to the poor.  that is not the case.  parochial schools want as many students as they can get.  mostly all of a private school's funding comes from tuition, so the more students they can get, the better the school can be.  i for one went to parochial schools all my life, and my parents were not that well off.  i worked all though high school to pay for my high school tuition by myself.  so if the parents and family are truely dedicated and want to send their kids to a private school, they can make it happen

supermom

• Hero Talker
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2007, 03:04:16 PM »

Wow, saying "I bet that is why they are where they are." That is a harsh and judgmental statement.

Jenjen,
I was referring to the school and nothing else. I can see how that was misconstrued. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Chris,
Thanks for the support. I am glad there are others out there who understand this.

Trisha

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2007, 03:19:59 PM »

My grandson attends Meadow Montessori.  He has been there since he was a baby, while my daughter was attending college.  She could not afford the tuition and was awarded a work scholarship.  She has long since completed her education (teaching degree) and now teaches at Meadow.  It is an excellent school. 

riar

• Super Talker
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2007, 07:35:08 PM »

Hello everyone,

My family is new to the area.  I have two daughters entering 6th and 7th grade.
Does anyone have school recommendations?  What are good schools, and what schools should we avoid and why?

Thanks  :)

Go to blogsmonroe.com and look at Monroe Parenting and ask questions. There may be other blogs that will help you out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up