It could be 1Republican was simply mistaken, and he was, but you sure are quick to accuse him of intentionally lying. Could be he was like the guy who said defense spending was 70% of the Federal budget. I corrected him, but I didn't believe it was done
in terms of being an intentional lie. You remember him don't you?
And I believe I have mentioned that 47% of households pay no Federal Income taxes and I stand by it. Just did a google for "47% payed no Federal Income Tax". Look it up.
Fox News host Bill O'Reilly falsely asserted that "50 percent of Americans don't pay any federal income tax" and that therefore "the other half is waging the whole war on terror." He also claimed that the estate tax is "unconstitutional," an assertion the Supreme Court rejected in a 1921 decision that has been repeatedly upheld over the years.
While O'Reilly claimed that half of all Americans do not pay income taxes, figures from the Tax Policy Center show that only 37.2 percent of total tax units -- single people or married couples -- pay either zero or negative taxes, or do not file at all, leaving 62.8 percent who do pay taxes.
O'Reilly's claim that the "the other half is waging the whole war on terror" is also false. Most Americans are funding the federal government's expenses, including military spending and foreign aid, though Social Security payroll taxes. The vast majority* of wage-earning Americans pay Social Security taxes on those wages, and as the Congressional Budget Office explains: "Although separate taxes are collected for Social Security, the money left over after benefits are paid is used to fund other government programs or to pay down the debt held by the public.
" In 2004, that surplus was $151.1 billion, approximately 6.6 percent of the total outlays of the federal government. By contrast, President Bush requested $82 billion in February to fund U.S. military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Previously, Congress had allocated $25 billion during fiscal 2005 for those operations.
Further, the General Accounting Office (now called the Government Accountability Office) reportedPDF file in February 2004 that 61 percent of U.S. corporations paid no corporate income taxes between 1996 and 2000.
In addition, O'Reilly asserted that the estate tax -- which many conservatives refer to as the "death tax," a name that, as Republican pollster Frank Luntz found, polls better for conservatives than "estate tax" -- was unconstitutional. But the Supreme Court's decision in the 1921 case New York Trust Co. v. Eisner upheld its constitutionality. In September 2001, the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals wrote in Jameson v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue PDF file, that "The Supreme Court has repeatedly rejected attempts to portray the estate tax as an unconstitutional direct tax." In the unanimous opinion, the three-judge panel further ruled that "based on the variety of constitutional challenges to it that have been made and uniformly rejected, we see no basis for invalidating the federal estate tax."