MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Ford had a better idea

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ford had a better idea  (Read 2180 times)

SimpleMan

• Hero Talker
Ford had a better idea
« on: January 17, 2010, 01:57:07 AM »

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
Re: Ford had a better idea
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 10:38:12 AM »

Good question it's a pretty cool machine. Probably a little slow for modern day but I agree seems like it would be great for certain applications. I've never seen anything like that before.

TheShepherd

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:03:35 AM »

Very cool video.

I have seen a few photos of these setups before. (I'm a tractor fanatic :)) But I have never seen live footage. I saw some nice pictures and accompanying story where these units were used in the mountains as mail carriers. It was pulling a large wagon on skis delivering mail through snowed in mountain passes.

I already bookmarked the video. ;) :D
"The Backyard Gardener"

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/backyard/

To be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in the spring- these are some of the rewards of the simple life.   John Burroughs  [1837-1921]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DJR-Creations/188968480501?ref=nf

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 11:18:26 AM »

I wonder why this never caught on?

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,213971.0/topicseen.html

The usual reason something doesn't take off is literally basic economics...   supply and demand.   This looks like the late 20-s early 30-s, not the best time to market new products.    I suppose you could call it an early model of the snowmobile (a rather large one at that) so in that respect it was ahead of it's time.

The two real issues I see are safety and comfort.  No suspension and you can see the operator really thrown around in a few of the scenes.  And if he gets thrown off and between the machine and the tube when it's turning the wrong direction it would make pretty short work of him...

I followed the link SimpleMan provided and it show a picture of one at a museum in Alaska and mentions that several of them were used on Byrd's trip to the north pole  and says they did not work out...   no details.

I would say they were pretty expensive for the time and if you didn't have Henry Ford type deep pockets then you might not be able to afford one.  Apparently there were several built.  Interesting that the one mounted on an auto was on a Chevrolet and not on a Ford...

Here's the link in YouTube although the link above has a lot of other interesting info that you don't get from the video...

Great find SimpleMan...   thanks for sharing...   I'm an old tractor fan like Shep is...

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

TheShepherd

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 11:26:48 AM »

The cool thing about them is the simplicity of the setup. You could just about modify any tractor to do that if you could fabricate the auger/drive floats. Simple upgrades to differential and brakes would have you steering. (All in theory, of course.)

With tractors and some ingenuity, anything is possible.

BRD: I'd take my chances on comfort and safety for a spin on one of those. They are built a lot like early track machines. The biggest difference is the speed these things can reach. I've never been bounced off a dozer. ;)
"The Backyard Gardener"

To be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in the spring- these are some of the rewards of the simple life.   John Burroughs  [1837-1921]

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 11:35:26 AM »

The cool thing about them is the simplicity of the setup. You could just about modify any tractor to do that if you could fabricate the auger/drive floats. Simple upgrades to differential and brakes would have you steering. (All in theory, of course.)

With tractors and some ingenuity, anything is possible.

BRD: I'd take my chances on comfort and safety for a spin on one of those. They are built a lot like early track machines. The biggest difference is the speed these things can reach. I've never been bounced off a dozer. ;)

I was looking at those augers and thinking they would be easy to  build out of some fiberglass pipe or even build two halves in a mold and then fasten them together...

Did you notice the fancy coat and long scarf the operator is wearing on the machine???   obviously some "bigshot" who wanted to be in the film...   the guys that actually bult the machine wouldn't be wearing clothes like that ;) ;) ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

TheShepherd

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 11:40:18 AM »

I was looking at those augers and thinking they would be easy to  build out of some fiberglass pipe or even build two halves in a mold and then fasten them together...

Did you notice the fancy coat and long scarf the operator is wearing on the machine???   obviously some "bigshot" who wanted to be in the film...  the guys that actually bult the machine wouldn't be wearing clothes like that ;) ;) ;)

You don't think they were Carhartt? lol
"The Backyard Gardener"

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 12:18:49 PM »

You don't think they were Carhartt? lol

When I was typing that I kind of wondered how long Carhartt has been making work clothes...   the answer is 1889...  so I would imagine the guys that built this machine we certainly wearing Carhartt's...   A Michigan based company right up the road in Dearborn!!!

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HistoryView?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10101

Here's the same video labeled 1924...   the one I posted above is labeled 1929...

I wonder if maybe the tractor model is a 1924 Fordson???   Would probably take them 4-5 years to get the project that far...

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »

I've seen the video before.  You need to be aware of the surroundings....

I was filmed in Luna Pier many years ago.  The dead give away is in the last segment.  That's the J.R. Whiting Power Plant in the background of the summer time picture.

Obviously, the Monroe County Road Comission was just as adept at snow removal then as it is now. ;D    not.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 08:07:12 AM »

I was filmed in Luna Pier many years ago.  The dead give away is in the last segment.  That's the J.R. Whiting Power Plant in the background of the summer time picture.

Obviously, the Monroe County Road Comission was just as adept at snow removal then as it is now. ;D    not.

I don't think that is the Whiting plant in the video...

I'm not aware of any 'farmsteads' like the one in the video that is anywhere close enough to the Whiting plant to show up like that and the plant wasn't built until the early 50s and the videos indicate they were made in the 20s (and there are no later model vehicles visible in any of the videos to contradict that)...

Yes the building in the video has the 3 stacks arranged like on JRW but there's no water tower or coal belts visible!

Whiting is located on an 875-acre site along the Lake Erie shoreline in Erie, Mich. One of the smallest coal-fired plants in the company’s fleet, it began producing electricity in 1952.

From:  http://www.consumersenergy.com/content.aspx?id=1336

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Ford had a better idea (or 'Another one' Flip got wrong!!!)
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 11:01:35 AM »

Yes, you do need to be aware of your surroundings but this looks like another case of you just shooting off from the hip...

This video was probably made sometime in the late 20s to mid 30s.  Therefore it would completely eliminate Luna Pier as a location since the JR Whiting Plant wasn't even built until the 1950s. 

Here's a 2016 article from The Blade that gives a little history of the plant.

Its 64-year run of electricity production ends next Friday.

http://www.toledoblade.com/business/2016/04/08/Coal-fired-plant-in-Monroe-Co-closes-next-week/stories/20160407368

The 328-megawatt plant, which opened in 1952, is the oldest and smallest of the coal-fired power plants in the Consumers Energy fleet.

This kind of make me think that a lot of the 'facts' you throw out are nothing more than your (often uninformed) personal opinion! 

First off, why would you think Henry Ford what go all the way to Luna Pier when there would have been plenty of snow and open space in Dearborn or wherever he is?

Maybe you should watch the video again and give us all another 'shot in the dark' as to where you 'think' it is since you've definitely been coming up short on 'facts' lately!!!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 09:56:03 PM »

Stalk or obsess much dog?

Must be awesome to right all the time.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 11:20:11 PM »

The wizard of LaSalle.... ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 08:58:33 AM »

I'm just returning the favor MN...

just returning the favor with a few dividends anyway.

Interesting you can point out again 'who' is wrong  but now 'what' is wrong!

The wizard of LaSalle.... ;D

I like that...   maybe the DogWizard of La Salle!!!   I'm joining another forum and I needed a good user name and that should work!!!   

You must have a link in my computer as close as you're stalking me now :-\ :-\ :-\

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »

I think you may have meant 'write all the time'...

phonetically they sound the same but have two different meanings!!!

I understand that people who have limited command of the English language will also have limited reading comprehension of the same so it's easy to see you come by it naturally. 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up