MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Religion & Philosophy > NASA and the Bible

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NASA and the Bible  (Read 2098 times)

christfollower

• Hero Talker
  • Luke 9:23
    • Be Comforted Ministries
NASA and the Bible
« on: October 20, 2007, 02:29:34 PM »

This is a true story. It was just e-mailed to us. I personally don't need scientific "proof" to know God's Word is absolutely true, but this story is still awesome, nonetheless!

For all the scientists out there and for all the students who have a hard time convincing these people regarding the truth of the Bible ... here's something that shows God's awesome creation and shows that He is still in control. Did you know that the space program is busy proving that what has been called "myth" in the Bible is true?

Mr. Harold Hill, President of the Curtis Engine Company in Baltimore Maryland and a consultant in the space Program relates the following development. "I think one of the most amazing things that God has for us today happened recently to our astronauts and space scientists at Greenbelt, Maryland. They were checking the position of the sun, moon, and planets out in space where they would be 100 years and 1000 years from now. We have to know this so we won't send a satellite, up and have it bump into something later on in its orbits. We have to lay out the orbits in terms of the life of the satellite, and where the planets will be so the whole thing will not bog down.

They ran the computer measurement back and forth over the centuries and it came to a halt. The computer stopped and put up a red signal, which meant that there was something wrong either with the information fed into it or with the results as compared to the standards. They called in the service department to check it out and they said, What's wrong?" Well, they found there is a day missing in space in elapsed time. They scratched their heads and tore their hair. There was no answer. Finally, a Christian man on the team said, "You know, one time I was in Sunday School and they talked about the sun standing still." While they didn't believe him, they didn't have an answer either, so they said, "Show us."

He got a Bible and went back to the book of Joshua where they found a pretty ridiculous statement for any one with "common sense." There they found the Lord saying to Joshua, "Fear them not, I have delivered them into thy hand; there shall not a man of them stand before thee." Joshua was concerned because he was surrounded by the enemy and if darkness fell they would overpower them. So Joshua asked the Lord to make the sun stand still!

That's right - "The sun stood still and the moon stayed - and hasted not to go down about a whole day!" (Joshua 10:12-13) The astronauts and scientists said, "There is the missing day!" They checked the computers going back into the time it was written and found it was close but not close enough. The elapsed time that was missing back in Joshua's day was 23 hours and 20 minutes - not a whole day. They read the Bible and there it was "about (approximately) a day."

These little words in the Bible are important, but they were still in trouble because if you cannot account for 40 minutes you'll still be in trouble 1,000 years from now. Forty minutes had to be found because it can be multiplied many times over in orbits. As the Christian employee thought about it, he remembered somewhere in the Bible where it said the sun went BACKWARDS. The Scientists told him he was out of his mind, but they got out the Book and read these words in 2 Kings that told of the following story:

Hezekiah, on his deathbed, was visited by the prophet Isaiah who told him that he was not going to die. Hezekiah asked for a sign as proof. Isaiah said "Do you want the sun to go ahead 10 degrees?" Hezekiah said "It is nothing for the sun to go ahead 10 degrees, but let the shadow return backward 10 degrees." Isaiah spoke to the Lord and the Lord brought the shadow ten degrees BACKWARD!

Ten degrees is exactly 40 minutes! Twenty-three hours and 20 minutes in Joshua, plus 40 minutes in Second Kings make the missing day in the universe!" Isn't it amazing?

References: Joshua 10:8 and 12, 13 and 2 Kings
IN GOD WE TRUST

LunaPierCook

Re: NASA and the Bible
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 02:50:27 PM »

No, this isn't true. Just like any of these kinds of emails, it takes moments to find reality:

http://www.snopes.com/religion/lostday.asp

There are corrections on quite a few other sites as well. Please, don't forward this kind of nonsense to others without actually looking into it.

Yes, I'm a Christian. But sometimes, I wonder about some of the rest, who seem to be just so darned gullible ...

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 10:31:57 PM »

implausible, but not impossible

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 10:48:11 AM »

....I wonder about the fact that the earth is, mathematically speaking, the exact, precise distance from the sun to prevent it from incinerating or freezing....

Well, if it weren't, we wouldn't be around thinking about it, now would we? :)

.....I wonder about the nonsense that each snowflake is in itself a representation of perfect geometric design

Nothing is perfect, if you want to be pedantic. :)

....I wonder about the fact that without the human spirit mans brain is no different than that of an animal...

We're only a few hundred thousand years out of the animal hole...

....I wonder at the perfection of the laws of the universe, and about how people so readily believe in demons and ghosts and halloween....yet don't comprehend God

I'm curious as to how you define perfect laws of the universe. There is some evidence to believe that some mathematical constants of the universe have changed over the vast spans of time, however slightly.

It's an extraordinary machine to be sure, but I doubt it was designed for us and us alone.

......and I also wonder at those who say they are Christians yet ignore the Laws of God...and flaunt man's traditions over God's Holy Days....

The holy days were grafted onto pagan holidays to make it easier to convert. :)

......it seems so simple...that a child may comprehend........yet it becomes a MYSTERY in the mind of an adult who refuses to accept God in any but the image and context in which man has created for Him

Children are easily swayed and indoctrinated. A grown adult is supposed to question authority and supposed "universal facts". Otherwise they're just a child.

.....I wonder at how a Christian proclaims themself to be a Christian and saved....yet when asked to pluck a hair from their head and reveal it's number has no comprehension of the question, its purpose, relativeness, or its meaning, nor of their own hypocracy.

I imagine you're alluding to a Bible verse, sadly I don't know what that means.

.................the purpose in this reply to what you posted is simple.....don't judge another guilty of that which you yourself do....lest you be judged a hypocrite.   [/color]

True that.
your mom goes to college.

chuntley

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 04:52:29 AM »

Can change your name,, but you can't change your words,,,,,,,

LunaPierCook

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 05:14:06 AM »

.................the purpose in this reply to what you posted is simple.....don't judge another guilty of that which you yourself do....lest you be judged a hypocrite. 

Excuse me?? All I'm "guilty of" is being tired of christfollower using this forum as a preaching platform. People don't come in here to be preached at, and yet there are folks who assume it's alright to do such a thing, that people will be receptive. It's certainly not so. And to post things that are false just makes it worse.

I have no clue what you supposedly read into what I wrote, but it wasn't there, nor was there intent. I wrote what Imeant to write, nothing more.

LunaPierCook

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 07:00:24 AM »

How come its PREACHING when a believer in God does it, but merely stating one's opinion when an Atheist or non believer does the very same thing? I've been preached to by Atheists, new agers, agnostics, etc., etc., on this board....yet when I do the very same thing I'm in the wrong...and supposedly don't have a right to do it.
   If all those mentioned above can PREACH their RELIGIONS to me and others...I have the right to do the same...and so does Christfollower and anyone else.

You say that some of the information Christfollower presents is false...the piece you were commenting on was originally printed in a science journal back in the early seventies...I know because a gentleman I know (who is in his 70's) has the issue.
  I was providing other evidence that lends credence to the validity of the Bible and God's design.

Preaching is one thing...defending truth is another, before you lable someone as doing something...be sure you yourself are not doing the same thing.

You're creating an argument where there is none, putting words in my mouth and telling me what I believe and what my intent was. You know none of this, and you don't know me, nor what I feel about anything you're saying here.

'Nuff said.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 02:59:04 PM »

How do you suppose it got that way...by accident?   Oh ...I forgot..the RELATIVE gravitational fields of other planetary masses caused it to be drawn into that precise orbit, RELATIVELY speaking.

It's by chance, not by accident. Nor is it by fate. We exist because some random molecules got together one day and started vibrating just so.

I'm curious as to how you define perfect laws of the universe. There is some evidence to believe that some mathematical constants of the universe have changed over the vast spans of time, however slightly.

How is the universe and all the planetary bodies  and stars arranged in accordance with each other?

In various groupings and setups that have changed over time. Ever heard of pulsars and quasars? They existed... billions of years ago. Now? Not so much. Why?

Trillions of years from now, the most advanced particle existing in the universe is likely to be a photon. Molecules will eventually dissolve.

The holy days were grafted onto pagan holidays to make it easier to convert. :)

...Wanna talk about Holy Days.. fine...

Answer these ...WITHOUT looking them up to find out the answers..right off the top of your head...

...What happened to the Feast of Tabernacles? The Last Great Day?  The Sabbath? Feast of Trumpets?
Pentacost? Days of Unleavened Bread? the High Sabbaths?

.......How were these grafted in?  Have you even heard of them, without looking them up? Do you know what they represent, without looking them up?  Why are they SET days? What pagan rituals are associated with them?

Just because they didn't come from a pagan holiday doesn't mean they're suddenly reverent, either. International Talk Like a Pirate Day is a holiday, too. Yarrr.

A religion, given enough time, is of course going to come up with more holidays. It's called "staying relevant."

If you couldn't answer these questions  off the top of your head....look them up...post what they are, when they are, what they represent and where you got the info......Oh and don't fprget to include WHICH PAGAN customs they represent.

I'm sure they have a lot to do with showing reverence to God, keeping the faith, and being groovy and marvy to fellow believers while subtly striking down the heretics.

It's what all religions do.

Congratulations, you've proven Abrahamic religions are not 100% "pagan". Doesn't mean it's any more right than the pagans or anyone else.

Easter is still a pagan fertility holiday.

Happy All Hallow's Eve, I mean, Samhain, btw.
your mom goes to college.

zard0z

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 11:43:23 AM »

You're creating an argument where there is none, putting words in my mouth and telling me what I believe and what my intent was. You know none of this, and you don't know me, nor what I feel about anything you're saying here.

'Nuff said.

Spooky has a bad knack of trying to twist others words to suit his means...

LunaPierCook

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 04:36:13 AM »

Don't you have that statement a little backwards? I responded to her reply to Christfollower because she was critizing him as if she new the truth on what he had posted, then made her statement about some Christians being ..."so darn gullible."
Spooky, you can't even get my gender right! I suggest next time, you actually look into what you're talking about. Sheesh ... *:)

Fred Munny

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 03:23:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up