MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > What did you see out your window today ?

Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you see out your window today ?  (Read 159732 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: What did you see out your window today ?
« Reply #3420 on: August 07, 2018, 07:34:20 PM »

I went out this morning and walked all through our front yard looking to see if I could see where the lightning bolt had hit.  The neighbor across the road thought it came from east of them.  The neighbor to the east of them said his wife saw sparks right in front of their house.  They have three very tall cottonwood trees but we couldn't ever see any damage.  I'm guessing eventually something will turn up or fail and then we'll know. 
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3421 on: August 07, 2018, 07:37:25 PM »

It was raining hard here for a few minutes but has stopped now.  At least there's no thunder or lightning.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3422 on: August 08, 2018, 09:33:21 AM »

Some sunshine and some clouds. 

The corn field across the road appears to have grown a foot in the last week!

The front lawn and to the east looks pretty nice.  I spent the afternoon yesterday mowing.  All the rain has it really 'greened up'!!!

A kazillion blackbirds out in the east side yard!

There's a nice breeze blowing the leaves on the trees.  We have the windows open and the AC off for now.  I can already feel it starting to get 'muggy'.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3423 on: August 08, 2018, 09:58:48 AM »

"A kazillion blackbirds out in the east side yard!'
same here a couple of days ago.  One leaves and they all take off.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3424 on: August 08, 2018, 10:10:03 AM »

"A kazillion blackbirds out in the east side yard!'
same here a couple of days ago.  One leaves and they all take off.

When I let the dog out they all take off.

They're down to about a half a kazillion now.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3425 on: August 08, 2018, 12:33:34 PM »

I went back through the woods today looking at our tall trees and also the neighbors' tall trees.  That lightning strike hit very, very close to us and there has to be some damage somewhere. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3426 on: August 08, 2018, 08:50:42 PM »

We went to dinner and then to Kroger for a few things and when we got home we took a nice slow ride back towards our back field.  I've been seeing the hen turkey and her 3 chicks there pretty regularly even though they won't walk 140 yards and pose for the trail camera.

I though I saw something in the hay field next door but I couldn't tell what it was so I pulled ahead some more.  Out from behind the brush maybe 40 yards away was a big deer with no antlers.  She stood and watched us for the longest time but still not long enough for me to get my phone out of my pocket and get a picture of her.  Just as I got the camera out she ran off with her tail flying.  We pulled ahead just a few feet and then could see that what I had originally seen was a fawn.  It stood and let me take several pictures before it took off.  About the time it was out of our view something caught my eye about where I had originally seen the fawn.  It was a 2nd fawn and it was standing up after being laying there hidden in the hay.  And by then I had put my phone back in my pocket.

I'll post a picture of the one fawn later.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3427 on: August 09, 2018, 09:40:47 AM »

The sun is cutting through the haze in the east.  Large puffy clouds to the south and by the time it gets to the west there's lots of blue sky.  Most of our weather moves in from the southwest so it's looking good for later
Still looking for where the lightning hit.  Not seeing any damage up in any of the trees.

There's a power pole with our transformer on it right in front of the neighbor's house that saw the 'sparks" out her front window. 

The transformer and the main power line sit immediately adjacent and probably 40-50' below the tops of three huge trees. 

Lightning will almost always go to the 'best' ground and that is frequently the tallest tree in the area. 

I also think if it would have hit the power lines we would have seen the lights flash brighter and maybe had some damage.  The TV and one computer were running at the time and nothing seems messed up.

Maybe we'll see leaves drying up and falling off a tree and then we can look closer and find the strike zone.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3428 on: August 09, 2018, 07:15:25 PM »

I've been near Tuscaloosa, Alabama the last month or so where the humidity and temperature have matched each other nearly every days......mid-90's.  Most days pop up a quick thunderstorm damn near every afternoon.  What a sweat box atmosphere....gonna enjoy the hell out of some Michigan comfort this weekend.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3429 on: August 09, 2018, 10:20:11 PM »

Ala not a place to be in the summer. 2 weeks once was enough for me

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3430 on: August 10, 2018, 09:04:30 AM »

I've been near Tuscaloosa, Alabama the last month or so where the humidity and temperature have matched each other nearly every days......mid-90's.  Most days pop up a quick thunderstorm damn near every afternoon.  What a sweat box atmosphere....gonna enjoy the hell out of some Michigan comfort this weekend.

Ala not a place to be in the summer. 2 weeks once was enough for me

I was maybe 10 or 11 and we spent several weeks in Headland, AL.  It's about 4 hours south and east of Tuscaloosa.  Residential AC wasn't common back then and our relatives in Alabama were no exceptions.  I think the heat is easier to handle at that age anyway.

Then in October of '69 after I had finished my Basic Training Fort Bragg in North Carolina (where it can get plenty hot and humid too) they shipped us to Fort McClellan at Anniston, Al.  That is northern Alabama where it was already fall weather.  It's in the low mountain area and made for some nasty 20 mile 'hikes'.  We were there for Jungle Warfare Advanced Infantry Training.  We actually finished the course a week early so we could go home for Christmas.  Northern Alabama gets plenty of snow apparently and that year it started early and it snowed often.  The Army had all these very authentic 'jungle scenes' and somehow the snow took something away from the 'jungle feeling'! 

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3431 on: August 10, 2018, 09:28:47 AM »

ha ha,  yeah trying to create a jungle scene in the snow seems to be a stretch.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3432 on: August 10, 2018, 09:50:01 AM »

ha ha,  yeah trying to create a jungle scene in the snow seems to be a stretch.

I'm sure in the 'hot and humid' summer it was very authentic.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3433 on: August 10, 2018, 11:14:47 AM »

After a nice soft rain last night it cleared up so I took the dog for a walk out back when I went to get the SD card out of the trail camera. 

Looked out in the hay field next door and saw the big doe and the two fawns again.  I got a not very good picture with my cell phone and I'll post it later. 

This morning I watched a squirrel play up on the cable line for the longest time.  I wonder why they decide to occasionally go up there?

Some sun and clouds.  Weather reports say another hot day and always a possibility of showers. 

I asked one of the Toledo Meteorologists what the sky was going to be like for the meteor shower on Sunday night.  My reply indicated I better hope for a good 'pre shower show' on Saturday night.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3434 on: August 11, 2018, 07:32:41 AM »

I lovely sunrise coming up over the river......and in an unbelievably great feeling chill in the air.  Feels good after that Alabama sauna. 
Support the local economy as much as possible!
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230   Go Up