MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > What did you see out your window today ?

Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 239   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you see out your window today ?  (Read 187362 times)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: What did you see out your window today ?
« Reply #3435 on: August 11, 2018, 08:43:02 AM »

A first!  Just saw a black squirrel scamper across the backyard along the river bank.  I've seen them in Sarnia and Port Huron area before, but never here.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3436 on: August 11, 2018, 08:54:36 AM »

A first!  Just saw a black squirrel scamper across the backyard along the river bank.  I've seen them in Sarnia and Port Huron area before, but never here.

We were at Veterans' Park one night last week and my wife said she saw a black squirrel. 

I told her they weren't this far south and she said they must be because she 'saw' one.  I guess I better get ready to kiss her backside again!!!!

I lovely sunrise coming up over the river......and in an unbelievably great feeling chill in the air.  Feels good after that Alabama sauna. 

I noticed the chill this morning too.  Are we headed for an early fall?

Lots of sunshine so far and looks like we're heading for another warm day.

I am amazed at how tall the corn is getting across the road.  I think it's grown another 6-8" this week. 

Still waiting to see how the ears fill out though. 

Remember, this was a very, very late plant so it definitely had to work to catch up. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3437 on: August 11, 2018, 03:47:40 PM »

I noticed the chill this morning too.  Are we headed for an early fall?

When we were all sitting outside last night I noticed the cycle pattern of Canadian geese in their "practice" mode that is generally later in the year (by 2 or 3 weeks).  The river is now holding more geese in the late-evening hours and they are practicing taking off in formation.  The chatter prior to take off is interesting to listen to.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3438 on: August 11, 2018, 04:35:48 PM »

Propane is cheap so I filled both my bottles.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3439 on: August 13, 2018, 08:21:14 AM »

Sunshine and an acrobatic squirrel.  The squirrel is in the maple tree right in front of the house and he'll do a few runs up and down the limbs and around the base and then he'll stop and look at the house waiting for the dog to bark.  I think he is trying to antagonize the dog but the dog is laying in the back door watching rabbits out the back door.  I hear a bit of a growl right now.

There's an MCRC out front working with that magic machine that sprays the hot tar and pea gravel.  They should be out there quite awhile if they try to get it anywhere near smooth. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3440 on: August 13, 2018, 09:27:41 AM »

The 'magic machine' that we paid for (as usual).  They did Lulu between Teal and Summerfield with it.  Spent 2 days there.  Was about 2 weeks ago and now it's just the same as it was before with the addition of pea gravel all over the place.

Great process they have....Not.

Anything, any 'process' not to do it right is considered acceptable by the MCRC.  Sold a bill of goods but then when you are 100% taxpayer funded, no worry, be happy, the money flows no matter what (well, until DTE devaluats) and then the money slows and you actually have to use your head for something except to keep your ears spaced apart.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3441 on: August 14, 2018, 08:34:34 AM »

Lots of sunshine again.  Looks like another day into the 80s.  The 'dog days' of summer.

Philosophical question:  Do dogs that live in air conditioned homes even realize these are their days?

The MCRC has another sign set up out front.  I don't see any trucks or magic equipment so maybe they're working on the other end of the road.

While they were working out here yesterday South County water showed up to paint hydrants.  We now have nice shiny yellow hydrants again. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3442 on: August 14, 2018, 06:15:33 PM »

Just sitting down to eat and saw OJ's Bronco go by...

I couldn't tell if it was him driving or not though :-\ :-\ :-\

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3443 on: August 15, 2018, 07:13:30 AM »

Lots of haze out there this morning.  I saw on NBC 24 weather that Monroe is reporting the lowest visibility in the region.  Maybe a little fog even closer to the lake I'm thinking.

Yesterday we took the camper out to the state park to dump the holding tank.  Went on out to the lake itself and noticed several trees around the parking lot that are shedding their leaves.  I didn't get out and look real close but they looked like a poplar tree.  They weren't real big...   maybe 20 feet tall.  Looked strange to see the leaves on the ground before the middle of August.  Maybe something related to the weather.  They can't be short of water as their roots are obviously going below the level of the lake a couple of hundred feet away. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3444 on: August 15, 2018, 06:30:38 PM »

I had to look up to see them but three military helicopters just flew over. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3445 on: August 16, 2018, 08:29:38 AM »

We had a nice gentle rain most of the night so things are pretty well soaked.  I see a bit of fog hanging low out the front window over by the tree line.  The weather gal is on right now and she says it's going to continue to rain in Toledo for several more hours.  The pattern has been moving this way from Toledo so I guess that means we're going to see more rain.  The only place I see the rain standing is in the potholes in the road so I guess the ground is soaking it up just fine. 

I went for a ride on my bike yesterday afternoon and I could smell the corn fields as I rode past them.  Hot and humid makes the corn grow. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3446 on: August 17, 2018, 10:55:33 AM »

Kind of dismal all morning and the weather reports out of Toledo say we should get some more showers with a slight 'hit or miss' chance of a thunder boomer or two. 

When I went out to get the SD card out of the trailcam last night the dog found a few turkey feathers right where my wife had seen the turkey in the back yard.  The bird never did get in front of the camera so can't tell if it's molting yet or just lost a couple of feathers.  They molt along about now and some of them get pretty nasty looking.  They still seem to be able to fly though!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3447 on: August 18, 2018, 09:58:25 AM »

Sunshine mostly but still some clouds in the sky.  I commented on the dew on the lawn and my wife said she'd just been on her weather app and the humidity here is 96%.  Most of the weather forecasters are saying a clear weekend but she dis see one report of possible storms tomorrow.  When the dew clears I'll be out mowing.  The lawn is getting away from me again.  For as dry as the summer has been the grass sure took off with the rain we had. 

I can't see anything out the front window beyond the road because some of the tallest corn I've ever seen is in that field.  It's starting to make ears but it will be interesting to see how they fill in. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3448 on: August 18, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »

I've been out working on mower decks.  Taking the best of three and should end up with one pretty decent one.  Then when I have time I"ll completely update the 2nd line one and the 3rd one is just destined to be a parts donor.  Actually our son has a 4th one so the parts one won't last forever.

I'm still fighting the sweat bees.  They just swarm around me.  I've used spray and that doesn't even help much.  If I'm outside I have to get in the wind (when there is any) and in the shop I use the big barn fan and create some wind.  That is the only thing that seems to discourage them.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3449 on: August 18, 2018, 01:53:42 PM »

I mowed yesterday afternoon late before the rain. The flys bit the crap out of me
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 239   Go Up