MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Businesses Closings

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 68   Go Down

Author Topic: Businesses Closings  (Read 98437 times)

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
Businesses Closings
« on: February 27, 2010, 11:07:54 PM »

Anyone know of any businesses that are closing?

I was at the mall today and had lunch at TJ's Pizza. I was talking to the owner and was told that they would be closing in two weeks.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
Re: Businesses Closings
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 11:13:44 PM »

I was at the mall today and had lunch at TJ's Pizza. I was talking to the owner and was told that they would be closing in two weeks.

There's just not enough traffic at the mall to warrant three food places. Most everyone just goes to Taco Bell, whose profit margins for producing 30 menu items out of five ingredients (tortilla, meat, sour cream, tomatoes, cheese) have to be out of this world.

The Chinese place I'm pretty sure has to be a front for something. Their food is absurdly terrible.

I miss the place that was in TJ's spot in 2005-2006... they had delicious, greasy calzones for like 5 bucks. Awesome.
your mom goes to college.

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 11:18:34 PM »

There's just not enough traffic at the mall to warrant three food places. Most everyone just goes to Taco Bell, whose profit margins for producing 30 menu items out of five ingredients (tortilla, meat, sour cream, tomatoes, cheese) have to be out of this world.

The Chinese place I'm pretty sure has to be a front for something. Their food is absurdly terrible.

I miss the place that was in TJ's spot in 2005-2006... they had delicious, greasy calzones for like 5 bucks. Awesome.

I had a Philly Steak & Cheese Calzone. Tasted real good.
Yeah when they redesigned the place, a lot of spaces were taken out. I found out today that the open space in the corner is supposed to be a children's play area.
I was told that they are not making the money to stay.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 07:41:33 AM »

Only because I am not 100% am I qualifying this..,,,but, Shish Kabob may be closing.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

ell

• Hero Talker
  • Nothing beats a good paddle
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:42:25 AM »

Only because I am not 100% am I qualifying this..,,,but, Shish Kabob may be closing.

That's a shame.  The food was good everytime I ate there.  I doubt that Monroe is up to expanding their dining horizons beyond Chinese, Italian, Mexican, and traditional American fare.  Not to mention many probably think they would be financing jihad by dining there (jmo).  The location probably wasn't the best either.  I am surprised they have lasted as long as they did.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thouroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 09:02:13 AM »

Been a while since I agreed on something with a Spartan fan  ;), but I agree, ell.  Would have been nice to keep as many ethnic foods as possible in town.....variety is the spice of life (so I hear)!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

ell

• Hero Talker
  • Nothing beats a good paddle
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »

Been a while since I agreed on something with a Spartan fan  ;), but I agree, ell.  Would have been nice to keep as many ethnic foods as possible in town.....variety is the spice of life (so I hear)!

There ya' go Fuzz.  This should increase your comfort level a bit! LOL  Normally, that avatar is reserved for football Saturdays.  I guess I was just to lazy to change it.

Back on topic though, it really is a shame about places like Shish Kabob.  If the food was bad, that's one thing.  Even if a decent percentage of the Monroe diners had at least tried the place, it would have been viable.  Hopefully they can remain open and become profitable.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:32:54 PM by ell »
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thouroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Kingsley

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 10:11:48 AM »

Unfortunately Monroe is a town of burgers and fries and go to Wal-Mart to save 10 cents. Most would rather see a business lose money, whether it be by having to ring up $2.00 credit card purchases or by giving away food at prices comparable to Burger King. Most wouldn't know good food or good service. Only what they want for their $5 value meal dining experience. Shish Kabob is excellent food at very good prices. Too bad Monroeites don't see this.

densme

• Active Talker
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »

It is so sad that we keep losing stores in Monroe, I had to actually leave Monroe Yesterday to buy a spool of thread ,how sad is that, I sure hope someone reopens a fabric store soon. Sewing costs are expensive anyway,much less having to drive out of town for thread and fabric if you want black or white thread its not a problem,but any other color you have big problems.Sure wish craft 2000 would open a fabric department.

The Original Riv

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 11:21:22 AM »

There ya' go Fuzz.  This should increase your comfort level a bit! LOL  Normally, that avatar is reserved for football Saturdays.  I guess I was just to lazy to change it.

Back on topic though, it really is a shame about places like Shish Kabob.  If the food was bad, that's one thing.  Even if a decent percentage of the Monroe diners had at least tried the place, it would have beed viable.  Hopefully they can remain open and become profitable.

I ate there last night. I spoke to the owner, he says they have no plans on closing.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 11:32:59 AM »

Unfortunately Monroe is a town of burgers and fries and go to Wal-Mart to save 10 cents. Most would rather see a business lose money, whether it be by having to ring up $2.00 credit card purchases or by giving away food at prices comparable to Burger King. Most wouldn't know good food or good service. Only what they want for their $5 value meal dining experience. Shish Kabob is excellent food at very good prices. Too bad Monroeites don't see this.

I don't get this comment.  I've been thru Monroe in the evenings and see that the parking lots are pretty full at all the restaurants.   A couple of months ago I went to the Mich B&G and it was packed.

naomi43

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 11:49:05 AM »

Yeah Mich Bar&Grill is my favorite place to go (when I can afford it) LOL

PXaiver

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 12:58:30 PM »

Yeah Mich Bar&Grill is my favorite place to go (when I can afford it) LOL

Every time I've ate there the food I had was horrible.  That's one of the places I won't go to in Monroe anymore.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 01:10:47 PM »

I ate there last night. I spoke to the owner, he says they have no plans on closing.

Good deal....I'm glad there was a change of mind, or I just heard incorrectly.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 01:49:39 PM »

Good deal....I'm glad there was a change of mind, or I just heard incorrectly.

In that case we should plan a huge outing there. I always enjoyed the food there. It's different than the traditional "burgers and fries" everywhere else in Monroe.
your mom goes to college.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 68   Go Up