MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Businesses Closings

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: Businesses Closings  (Read 121203 times)

PXaiver

Re: Businesses Closings
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 11:12:04 AM »

Polla a la diabla is a dish there where they take grilled chicken and put it in a thick and spicy red sauce.  Its served with beans, rice and soft tortillas.  The flavor is excllent and its not too spicy.

Pawson7

• Active Talker
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 01:32:24 PM »

If your willing to take a drive Mario's in Adrian is AWESOME!!! It's one of those hole in the wall type places with WONDERFUL AUTHENTIC Mexican food. We drive out there about once a week for dinner. They make their own chips and salsa daily! They have hot and mild salsa. Check them out on Facebook. Like I said, little bit of a drive for GREAT food.

PS I am super picky about Mexican food. I think the best Mexican food in Monroe has to be Taco Bell.  :D 

choff4

• Hero Talker
  • R.I.P. Ina
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2010, 02:02:18 PM »

Lucios Mexi Deli is one of my favorite.
They have wonderful tamales and so far everything else we  have tried is awesome.

The Chicken

• Hero Talker
  • Common sense is not so common... Voltaire
    • The Chicken Channel
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2010, 03:41:43 PM »

I have never understood all the Mexican Restaurants...  Cuban food is great... If I had a chance.. I would have a simple Cuban sandwich shop... With maybe a special or two.. like Ropa Vieja or Arroz Pollo with black beans, plantains and Yucca..  Small with low overhead.. a place to eat but mostly carry out.. Everything is on a steam table.. So rapid service...  I can make a spanish pork roast to die for....  Cuban food is also something you can make very easily in large quanities at low cost, so it is great for catering...  Since it is not spicy but very flavorful.. More people can eat it...

My only problem with Monroe is finding a place to bake th Cuban Bread... you have to have the bread...

I think I need to go get some Boliche at La Lunchera..  Six bucks, I get Boliche which is eye of round roast stuffed with Chorizo...(I get it without chorizo because I don't like the fat)  in a tomato based gravy with Potatoes.. Yellow rice, black beans, Yucca and fried plantains.. it takes about two minutes to get it ready... I never can eat all of it!!! You have your proteins, your veggies from the tomatoes... Lots of fiber from the rice, beans and Yucca... The plantains gives you lots of stuff like bananas.. It is good eating...
There is NO in-flight Beverage Service on the 747 to HELL!

cullet

• Active Talker
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2010, 08:39:34 PM »

I have also wondered about the local affection for La Fiesta I think that their food is awful.
La Fiesta was the only Mexican restaurant in or around Monroe for about forty years so alot of people grew up with them.

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2010, 10:21:19 PM »

Ok, What did I miss about Ambassador Hall?
I was told there was an auction for stuff inside. I need to read the paper a little more carefully. (That is, if something was in it).
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2010, 10:26:39 PM »

La Fiesta was the only Mexican restaurant in or around Monroe for about forty years so alot of people grew up with them.

....Not exactly correct.  Carls Hideaway has been in the same location (on Lewis near Ida West Road) in downtown Ida for at least forty years.  The food there isn't all that hot either.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 10:28:33 PM »

I have never understood all the Mexican Restaurants...  Cuban food is great... If I had a chance.. I would have a simple Cuban sandwich shop... With maybe a special or two.. like Ropa Vieja or Arroz Pollo with black beans, plantains and Yucca..  Small with low overhead.. a place to eat but mostly carry out.. Everything is on a steam table.. So rapid service...  I can make a spanish pork roast to die for....  Cuban food is also something you can make very easily in large quanities at low cost, so it is great for catering...  Since it is not spicy but very flavorful.. More people can eat it...

My only problem with Monroe is finding a place to bake th Cuban Bread... you have to have the bread...

I think I need to go get some Boliche at La Lunchera..  Six bucks, I get Boliche which is eye of round roast stuffed with Chorizo...(I get it without chorizo because I don't like the fat)  in a tomato based gravy with Potatoes.. Yellow rice, black beans, Yucca and fried plantains.. it takes about two minutes to get it ready... I never can eat all of it!!! You have your proteins, your veggies from the tomatoes... Lots of fiber from the rice, beans and Yucca... The plantains gives you lots of stuff like bananas.. It is good eating...

My opinion of Cubans or their cusine isn't postable here. 8*

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2010, 11:08:04 PM »

....Not exactly correct.  Carls Hideaway has been in the same location (on Lewis near Ida West Road) in downtown Ida for at least forty years.  The food there isn't all that hot either.

True, but eating the tacos at Carl's warps me back to my childhood, so I'm very pro-Carl's. :P

Nostalgia ruins everybody's taste buds, it seems
your mom goes to college.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2010, 11:16:17 PM »

Ok, What did I miss about Ambassador Hall?
I was told there was an auction for stuff inside. I need to read the paper a little more carefully. (That is, if something was in it).

I do remember seeing an article in the paper...

don't remember if it was before the auction or not though ;) ;) ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

TheShepherd

• Hero Talker
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2010, 08:00:29 AM »

Yesterday I noticed all the signage off the Yamaha dealer on Telegraph. Did they close their doors too? It looked like a bare building as I drove by.

I hope my eyes were playing tricks on me.......... We don't need any more closings of anything. :(
"The Backyard Gardener"

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/backyard/

To be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in the spring- these are some of the rewards of the simple life.   John Burroughs  [1837-1921]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DJR-Creations/188968480501?ref=nf

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2010, 08:03:28 AM »

Is Muffler Man out of business? I went by yesterday. I noticed the building was repainted but no signs.

TheShepherd

• Hero Talker
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2010, 08:05:21 AM »

Is Muffler Man out of business? I went by yesterday. I noticed the building was repainted but no signs.

Her's what we have on that, Mayo: http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18075.0
"The Backyard Gardener"

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/backyard/

To be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in the spring- these are some of the rewards of the simple life.   John Burroughs  [1837-1921]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DJR-Creations/188968480501?ref=nf

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2010, 08:07:58 AM »

Her's what we have on that, Mayo: http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18075.0

Thanks Shep. I guess I missed that thread. Must be the lack of warmth on top. LOL!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2010, 08:19:09 AM »

Yesterday I noticed all the signage off the Yamaha dealer on Telegraph. Did they close their doors too? It looked like a bare building as I drove by.

I hope my eyes were playing tricks on me.......... We don't need any more closings of anything. :(

Atomic (formerly Ray's) went tits up early last month.  I heard the owners (who has other locations) just consolidated his inventory to his other stores.  My experience with them was that they were high priced and basically rude, not unlike most powersports dealers.  Not, most.

You have Poupard's place adjacent on the opposite side of Telegraph a bit south.  It's hard to compete with 2 dealers so close.  Granted, they were different lines, but ,except the brands, all the accessories are the same, dealer to dealer.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 08:21:53 AM by SidecarFlip »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 76   Go Up