MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Businesses Closings

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 68   Go Down

Author Topic: Businesses Closings  (Read 100450 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Businesses Closings
« Reply #900 on: December 15, 2017, 10:21:16 PM »

Is anything going on with the Manufacturers Outlet over by 75?  I thought someone bought it but I haven't heard squat about it???
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #901 on: December 15, 2017, 10:24:40 PM »

And you wouldn't have been worse for it..

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #902 on: December 15, 2017, 10:34:20 PM »

IOW, nothing happening?  I always thought that place was a bust, even when it was new.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #903 on: December 16, 2017, 08:49:49 AM »

Is anything going on with the Manufacturers Outlet over by 75?  I thought someone bought it but I haven't heard squat about it???

Here's a couple of fairly recent articles from the MonroeNews:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20170607/studies-reveal-possibilities-for-monroe

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20171029/plans-to-develop-former-horizon-outlet-center-are-dormant

There's been another one very recently where development (or lack thereof) around the county was the theme.  I remember the Bedford supervisor talking about the yard waste center we discussed.  Maybe someone else will have a link.

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #904 on: December 16, 2017, 09:03:46 AM »

This is probably the key 'take away' from the June article.  Sounds like we're still paying for some mistakes made back in the 80s...

Cook talked about how retail space in Monroe has changed from the 1960s, which was focused on shopping downtown, to the 1980s where retail spaces like strip malls grew exponentially.

“The community is unique because in the 1980s there was a huge amount of retail space and the community added almost 1 million-square-foot of retail with the Mall of Monroe and Horizon Outlets,” he said.

Monroe had lots of retail space but still added a million square feet in a relatively short time!!! 

And obviously now we don't need the million or even all of what we had before.

I remember part of that whole development push was for 'new' buildings instead of the very old ones around Monroe.

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #905 on: December 16, 2017, 09:29:31 AM »

One thing I noticed as soon as we pulled into the mall parking lot last night is that there was no Salvation Army Red Kettle and bell ringer at the the 'food court' entrance!

Anyone know or have any ideas on what is going on with that...

I figure either mall management kicked them out or the SA has re-evaluated their efforts around town and decided to pull the ringers from the mall so they could double down at Walmart ;) ;) ;)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #906 on: December 16, 2017, 10:04:07 AM »

Lack of patronage probably.  Why freeze your butt off when there are more 'lucrative' spots close by...

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #907 on: December 17, 2017, 09:36:26 AM »

Lack of patronage probably. Why freeze your butt off when there are more 'lucrative' spots close by...

The biggest crowd we saw was around the theater.  I think it was the first showing of  “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,”

R2-D2 was even running around the mall too!

Other than that just not a lot of potential people to donate.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #908 on: December 17, 2017, 06:23:45 PM »

This place not likely going out of business.
Clark shoes.
I found a pair I really liked for a gift at Clark store in Toledo mall Friday morning. Didn't have the size.  But said they would get me the shoes by Christmas.  I later was looking over Clarks web site and they were out of stock on almost all sizes. 
Saturday morning the UPS guy shows up at my door wth the shoes.
The company was out so they found a store in Columbus that had them and were delivered within 24 hours..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #909 on: December 18, 2017, 08:41:14 AM »

This place not likely going out of business.
Clark shoes.
I found a pair I really liked for a gift at Clark store in Toledo mall Friday morning. Didn't have the size.  But said they would get me the shoes by Christmas.  I later was looking over Clarks web site and they were out of stock on almost all sizes. 
Saturday morning the UPS guy shows up at my door wth the shoes.
The company was out so they found a store in Columbus that had them and were delivered within 24 hours..

Now that's going above and beyond!!!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #910 on: December 18, 2017, 09:06:53 AM »

Last I heard - the Original "dreamer" passed away...     The Golf course is also part of that parcel deal - and it has likely gone on its last legs as well with the 3rd person in 3 years trying to run it on a miser budget with broken run down equipment.

The investment company that made the purchase - thought the Hospital system would choose this site - as there is much more land and is next to 75...  they forgot about that pesky train that cuts off the area I guess.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #911 on: December 18, 2017, 05:49:05 PM »

Last I heard - the Original "dreamer" passed away...     The Golf course is also part of that parcel deal - and it has likely gone on its last legs as well with the 3rd person in 3 years trying to run it on a miser budget with broken run down equipment.

The investment company that made the purchase - thought the Hospital system would choose this site - as there is much more land and is next to 75...  they forgot about that pesky train that cuts off the area I guess.

LOL - can't they just build another multi-million dollar underpass with tax dollars?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #912 on: December 30, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »

Two retailers with stores in Mall of Monroe are on this 'watch' list!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/retail/2017/12/27/17-retailers-on-the-2018-death-watch/108925914/

I've been going out there to walk a couple of times a week with all this cold weather.

GNC seemed to have even less foot traffic than ever although the other vitamin store is having store closing sale so that probably drew some traffic away from GNC.

Claire's seems their regular busy.  They've pushed several of their displays out into the mall itself.  That's not really a hazard since there are so few people down at that end of the mall anyway.  If it wasn't for the walkers it might get pretty lonely!

What has surprised me is the Family Fun place (don't remember actual name) with all the inflatables.  They've actually added stuff over the summer months.  It still didn't seem like there were enough kids in there to cover what has to be a pretty good size electric bill to keep all those blowers running :-\ :-\ :-\

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #913 on: December 31, 2017, 09:05:14 AM »

We were out at the mall yesterday.  The Vitamin World (or whatever they were) was closed and cleaned out and there was a young guy up on a ladder plastering the windows with signs for GNC!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #914 on: January 02, 2018, 07:48:06 AM »

Predictions for lots of bankruptcy filings and store closings of retail stores and also the predictions for already struggling malls!!!

http://www.businessinsider.com/store-closures-in-2018-will-eclipse-2017-2018-1

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 68   Go Up