MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Businesses Closings

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76]   Go Down

Author Topic: Businesses Closings  (Read 119231 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Businesses Closings
« Reply #1125 on: October 02, 2019, 12:14:30 PM »

Sadly I wasn't under the impression that the roof decision was about saving money.

I think it was all about getting the "look" that they wanted. 

Just like the fancy doors that will be difficult to maintain was about getting a "look."  I bet you those doors get replaced with traditional overhead doors within 10 years for a "cost savings" on future repairs.

I distinctly remember one councilmember who actually lives in Petoskey mentioning that he didn't want a building that looked like it belonged in the township.

I'm not sure about the doors -  I will look at the mechanism and see how they are built...  I do know the overhead doors were always in need of repairs after a period of time as the weight and the tensioned springs used would not hold up more than a few years...   

They open quicker and are less susceptible to damage was how it was sold.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1126 on: October 02, 2019, 02:55:42 PM »

I'm not sure about the doors -  I will look at the mechanism and see how they are built...  I do know the overhead doors were always in need of repairs after a period of time as the weight and the tensioned springs used would not hold up more than a few years...   

They open quicker and are less susceptible to damage was how it was sold.

The doors they went with I believe fold open like a closet door?  Or they hinge from the side?

The paper said the benefit was they opened much quicker - something I can understand would be important, but they were more difficult to maintain, and reliability seemed questionable.

I seem to remember the "appearance" of them somehow being superior in someones viewpoint.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1127 on: October 02, 2019, 05:40:20 PM »

There is a different opener which is contained in a box at one end of the rod across the header of the door.  No springs across the header or parallel with the track

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1128 on: October 02, 2019, 05:47:30 PM »

There is a different opener which is contained in a box at one end of the rod across the header of the door.  No springs across the header or parallel with the track

I have a few shaft drive openers on my overhead doors.  Easier to put in by far - but you still have the spring to deal with.

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1129 on: October 02, 2019, 07:01:18 PM »

Spring is in the box isn’t it.  Adjust it by using power drill?

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1130 on: October 02, 2019, 07:38:20 PM »

Spring is in the box isn’t it.  Adjust it by using power drill?

No - the normal coil spring on the shaft.

I still watch those guys load those - and it just doesn't seem that scary to me - as long as you take your time and think about what you are doing.

Every guy I know who does it for a living has had multiple stitches - and they say don't trust it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1131 on: October 03, 2019, 09:55:31 AM »

I'll have to take another look at the door on my buddies pole barn.  There is a box at the top.  I don't recall seeing springs anywhere

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1132 on: October 03, 2019, 10:32:15 PM »

I call that the 'duba-duba-duba spring.  That rod you stick in there, if it gets away from you, will sucker punch you more times that you can imagine in a couple seconds if you aren't real careful.

All my doors are manual lift except the big double door on the shop garage.  The 15 foot high x 10 foot wide roll up door on the hay barn is chain operated and it has a spring in it that looks like a coiled pretzel.

I hate fooling with overhead doors.  Good way to wind up in ER with no front teeth or a broken jaw.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1133 on: October 08, 2019, 03:02:09 PM »

I recall on several occasions when the large spring "broke free"...   the noise and the inability to open a large door to get out is a real problem in an emergency...    we used to have one spare on hand as they were special order from the size...   or they would scavange one off of a less used door...   and yes the tension on them is great and not a job I would ever want to do! 

Still haven't visited the new station -  I plan to this week
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1134 on: October 08, 2019, 03:24:32 PM »

All of you big, strong, firemen couldn't lift it up and put a 2 by 4 under it?
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1135 on: October 09, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »

The amish furniture place on S. Monroe Street is "going out of business" AGAIN.    8* 8* 8*
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:52:31 PM by ytrewq »

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1136 on: October 12, 2019, 08:51:09 AM »

All of you big, strong, firemen couldn't lift it up and put a 2 by 4 under it?

We improvised on more than one occasion -   having to use pike poles to get it past that weight balance... 

Our response time wasn't very good however...     

You probably could calculate the weight of the door -  remember they are not your garage door height and they were insulated panels that often held water! 
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76]   Go Up