MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Smoking ban information served up to area businesses

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoking ban information served up to area businesses  (Read 24232 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Smoking ban information served up to area businesses
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 12:54:34 AM »

Now if I could just get one of those wackos to have a talk with my neighbors that are constantly burning their yard waste. 
It depends where you live -  Call the Fire Dept.   open burning of yard waste is probably not legal, and in some areas after a warning, they get fined.

I know that some bars in Toledo have racked up thousands in smoking police fines, probably same will occur at some around here.     Still don't know if that job is posted yet (County smoking police)
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SimpleMan

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 04:35:58 AM »

Smoking is a filthy habit. It makes the smoker stink (not that he/she can smell it) and it makes those around the smoker stink. Personally, I value hygiene, I don't care to smell like a filthy ashtray just because I decide to patronize an establishment that permts smokers who chooe to defile the air I have to breathe. A smoking ban is long overdue. Let the smokers go outside in January, and seee how many are left.     

Chips

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 06:31:37 AM »

Smoking is a filthy habit. It makes the smoker stink (not that he/she can smell it) and it makes those around the smoker stink. Personally, I value hygiene, I don't care to smell like a filthy ashtray just because I decide to patronize an establishment that permts smokers who chooe to defile the air I have to breathe. A smoking ban is long overdue. Let the smokers go outside in January, and seee how many are left.   

AMEN, brother!
So, how's that
“hope” and “change”
working out for you?

PXaiver

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 11:33:56 AM »

Well Squonk as I'm walking down the street this summer, enjoying my cigar, i'll make sure to blow it straight out instead of up in the air.  You nonsmokers need to actually try a cigar sometime.  They're quite relaxing, especially after dealing with morons who treat you like a second class citizen.....

naomi43

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »

yeah that will be the day when I have a cigar.....LMAO!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 12:06:28 PM »

Life is a flithy habit.....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 12:41:29 PM »

It depends where you live -  Call the Fire Dept.   open burning of yard waste is probably not legal, and in some areas after a warning, they get fined.

I know that some bars in Toledo have racked up thousands in smoking police fines, probably same will occur at some around here.     Still don't know if that job is posted yet (County smoking police)
Yeah, I don't want to be the guy that calls the law.

LE can go overboard when a simple warning would suffice.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:50:47 PM by Frenchfry »
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Chips

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 06:25:54 PM »

Life is a flithy habit.....

But, the alternative is worse.
So, how's that
“hope” and “change”
working out for you?

PXaiver

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 12:27:01 PM »

Not necessarily.

The Original Riv

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 12:36:56 PM »

Yeah go ahead and call the Fire Dept. My boss did that when the person was burning yard waste next to the building where I work. It is not legal in that area, (it IS legal in some areas) and the guy from the Fire. Dept went off on my boss for wasting his time, and threatened to give her a citation next time.

mcfly

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 03:33:22 PM »

Has Michigan spelled out the consequences yet for bar owners who defy the law?...... the lady i talked to in Toledo a while ago, said that she was told, she personally would be fined as well as the bar would also get a fine.  She also said there were inspectors floating around who would show up randomly..  said they were at her place a few times already..  but as much as she wanted to smoke in the bar, she didnt dare let anyone... out of fear of getting fined / business getting fined, and her losing her job over it...    not sure the truth to all that, but i can see why most places are so strict if any of that's true. 

choff4

• Hero Talker
  • R.I.P. Ina
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 07:15:31 PM »

My mom recently was told by a heart doctor that she has the lungs of a smoker. Sad thing is, she doesn't smoke, but lives with a chain smoker. They are going to invest in an air filter system to prevent it from getting much worse, but unfortunately, the damage is already done. I am an ex-smoker and didn't find it necessary to piss people off by smoking around them knowing that it bothered them. When I did smoke, I did it outside my house even in the winter. I also didn't smoke in the vehicles or any restaurants that we went to. I quit because I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, who by the way was diagnosed with asthma. I am all for banning smoking in public places. What makes you think you have the right to endanger other people around you, just because they made a decision to not take years off their life by smoking, as you have? Secondhand smoke is a huge health concern and it should not be taken lightly or used as a weapon to get back at someone. I find anyone who feels the need to jeopardize someone else's health very cold-hearted and inconsiderate.

choff4

• Hero Talker
  • R.I.P. Ina
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 07:24:58 PM »

As far as neighbors burning things that stink, we have a neighbor that burns stinky things on the weekends. Usually it's paint cans, garbage, and other things that one shouldn't burn. Occasionally we hear a BOOM from behind our garage where he burns the stuff and it scares the hell out of us because we have a classic car in the garage which happens to be backed up to his burning pile. The biggest problem is they leave  their home while it's burning or they go to bed. Well once the lights are out over there, our hose meets their fire pit. It hasn't stopped them but it makes my hubby feel better.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 09:09:09 PM »

May 1st is coming up quick!  ;)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 10:08:32 PM »

My take on these laws and ordinances is that it's just another chink in your rights as an individual.  I don't have a problem with smoking in public places, who wants to breathe second hand smoke, I don't.  I want to breathe it first hand. ;D

Tell me this....  When smoking is completely snuffed out, where will the taxing districts turn for revenue?  Betcha I can tell you....  Liquor.  Beer, wine and hard liquor are the next cash cow and the next on the chopping block.  Better enjoy that Mick.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50   Go Up