MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Wildlife Photos...

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38   Go Down

Author Topic: Wildlife Photos...  (Read 42084 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Wildlife Photos...
« Reply #525 on: June 26, 2018, 06:37:37 PM »

Lots of critters again but no fawn. 

The dog got another woodchuck when we went to get the memory card!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #526 on: June 26, 2018, 08:36:13 PM »

You mean when your dog went exploring and took you for your nightly walk he waited around while you retrieved the memory card !!
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #527 on: June 27, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »

You mean when your dog went exploring and took you for your nightly walk he waited around while you retrieved the memory card !!

That's probably a pretty fair scenario.

I've generally figured that any of the dogs got in about an 8-1 ratio of exercise vs my walking and their running. 

Yesterday the dog had already jumped a woodchuck so he was a little extra hyper.  I'll pull the chain of photos of us getting to the camera out and post them.  A picture is worth a lot of words.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #528 on: June 27, 2018, 08:19:58 AM »

The pictures are all time and date stamped so easy to see the 'story' unfold.

At 4:30 there was a rabbit munching on something just a few steps out in front of the camera.  I get dozens of rabbit pictures so I usually don't post them.  You can just see the rabbit down above the 80 degrees on the bottom frame of the picture.

Within 2 minutes 'the dog' is walking ahead of me as we make the 'curve' to the camera.  The dog had his nose to the ground so I figured something had been there but I never know what it is.  The dog must have obtained a 'visual' on the rabbit and the 'chase' was on.  I don't think I ever remember this dog bringing a rabbit back but he sure does get a lot of exercise chasing them.

And finally I arrive 'in view'.  The camera got three more pictures of me before I could get it open and switched off. 

By the time I got the SD cards switched and the camera switched back on the dog had returned and looking for his next adventure.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #529 on: June 28, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »

No deer again but this guy may explain why! 

He doesn't look like he has a care in the world!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #530 on: June 29, 2018, 07:38:39 AM »

Another slow day and night on the trail camera. 

We didn't take pictures but we had a turkey buzzard visitor that stayed out here for an hour or so.  I went out later and couldn't see where it was eating anything.  Maybe it brought it along then took it with it when it left :-\ :-\ :-\

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #531 on: June 30, 2018, 08:28:14 AM »

A warm and breezy day yesterday made for lots of false triggers on the trail cam.  Lots of small critters out in the daytime but no big ones.  Maybe too warm for them to move about much.  A couple of deer during the night but nothing spectacular. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #532 on: July 01, 2018, 09:17:01 AM »

Looks like all the critters have been laying low in the daytime and avoiding the heat wave.

We did get some fawn pictures again though so at least I know they're still hanging around.

When you see one of them the other is not too far behind!

I wonder how far they've walked in the time they were 'gone'?

The fawn looks a little tired.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #533 on: July 02, 2018, 08:40:33 AM »

No fawn pictures although there were a few deer moving at night. 

Lots of false triggers so I guess I'll try knocking down some of the taller weeds and grass that are in the field of view.  If it's just the heat and the wind blowing the big branches in the background then I'll just be stuck scrolling through lots of pictures.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #534 on: July 04, 2018, 11:25:24 AM »

I didn't get the SD card last night...

I wasn't going to walk another step.  Went back and got it this morning and no fawn pictures although there were lots of various birds and whatever pictures.  Even one woodchuck and a mystery picture that I never did figure out. 

So, really only 2 pictures worth sharing and they were of the same deer only seconds apart.  The first photo was actually the infrared one and then the 'normal' one was the second one.  I have no idea why the camera would decide to use the infra red and then switch for the 2nd shot :-\ :-\ :-\

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #535 on: July 04, 2018, 07:09:45 PM »

I looked at this a few times today and finally decided it's a squirrel tail. 

There wasn't a single photo all night before this one and then nothing for an hour and that wasn't a squirrel so nothing to really tie it to a squirrel for sure. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #536 on: July 08, 2018, 08:51:45 AM »

A couple of more 'mystery' photos from the last couple of days.

No mystery about this night owl.  He does look like he maybe realizes he's just been put on the world wide web!!!

This one is the mystery though.  Within less than a minute of taking the almost perfect photo it appears the camera malfunctions and I have a total whiteout from the flash.  I've gotten a similar photo when I'm changing the card at night and I trigger the camera while I'm standing right there or my hand is up by the camera.  I think 'Rocky' got very curious and just went right up the tree to see what was happening.

When I first looked at this picture yesterday I was completely mystified as to what it was.  I had mowed back there earlier and had a few pictures of me on the mower going back and forth.  I even zoomed in and couldn't figure out what it was.  It sure didn't match anything I'd done back there or even anything I'd ever seen on the camera before. 

I left it open on the computer and went back and looked at it a few times and finally after zooming in again figured out that it's the very back end of a short tailed bird flying down the trail. 

What I haven't decided is if it's a turkey.  I had seen one back there earlier.  Or is it a hawk going after a squirrel or a rabbit?

Any bird experts out there?  I'll try to snip and enlarge a closeup of the 'object' and post it later.

What I'm looking at is on the very left edge of the frame so don't bother looking too far.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #537 on: July 08, 2018, 10:41:56 AM »

I do have some expertise in 'tail watching' but I'm not sure what this is.

I'm guessing a small turkey.  Any turkey experts out there?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #538 on: July 10, 2018, 09:44:55 AM »

No pictures today.  When I checked the SD card yesterday there was only one 'new' photo and I got a message that the file was corrupted and could not be read.  But I had been back there mowing and drove in front of the camera several times so even if that was the only pictures there should have been several photos. 

I'll see what happens today.  The battery life is down to 8-9% so maybe it's time to just bite the bullet and put in a new set of batteries.

I was back in the woods yesterday working with the chain saw.  At one point I had been running it hard for maybe 20 minutes straight.  It started to sputter like it was getting low on fuel so I let it idle and turned to go get more fuel.  I looked up and there was a woodchuck sitting under my truck and watching me.  When I started walking that direction he took off.  There is something about engines running and the way it mesmerizes some critters.

We had a turkey one summer that absolutely loved our Honda powered lawn mower.  She would come running when I started it and she would follow me while I mowed with it.  Very strange.

Our neighbor (now deceased) had a small Kubota tractor.  He talked about how the woodchucks would be mesmerized when it was running.  He carried a ball bat on the tractor and when he'd see a woodchuck he would just get off the tractor with the ball bat and go hit a home run. 

Maybe if I could have kept the saw running I could have walked back to the woodchuck yesterday but I didn't want blood on the truck either.  Blood is bad on paint!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #539 on: July 15, 2018, 09:04:12 AM »

I'm not holding back on pictures.  There just hasn't been much traffic.  No deer at all for a week.  Two nights in a row a mother raccoon with three little ones following her have been 'on camera'. 

I did change the batteries and I was hoping that I didn't lose the time and date if I did it quick enough.  I didn't make it in time and everything rolled back to 2016 and the clock is backwards for daylight and dark.  Must have been built on the other side of the world 8* 8* 8*
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38   Go Up