MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Wildlife Photos...

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wildlife Photos...  (Read 40401 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Wildlife Photos...
« Reply #540 on: July 22, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »

A doe with two fawns.  First time we've seen them.

Please disregard the date and time in the frame of the picture.  I put new batteries in it and thought I had done it fast enough to save the date/time but I obviously didn't make it.  I know we've had some global warming but it was not 73 degrees in January of 2016. 

The photo is from night before last and it would take me a bit to figure out the time. 

Just enjoy the deer!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #541 on: July 22, 2018, 09:29:50 AM »

This squirrel is usually out in our front yard but now he's venturing back into the woods too.

Not sure why his body is so dark and his tail is so blonde but he's unique looking for sure.

Are there any squirrel experts out there?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #542 on: July 23, 2018, 09:30:59 AM »

Yesterday morning down on Halfway Creek just north of the state line in Erie Township.  We had launched the boat at the DNR ramp and taken it for a ride to make sure it was running ok after repairing the fuel pump.  Then we decided to give it a 'long idle' test so we went looking around at the Lotus blossoms.  Looks like they're just starting to blossom.  I found pictures from last year on August 7th when they were mostly blooming. 

This picture is a bunch (not sure if they're a flock or not so 'bunch' will work) of young gulls.  Their parents were probably down the street at Rudy's sitting in the parking lot and waiting for a handout.  The parents must have told them not to move because they just sat there and watched us. 

You can see Summit street in the background, lily pads up close and the lotus blossoms behind the old dock.  Years ago I walked out to the end of that dock.  Not sure I'd try it today :o :o :o

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #543 on: July 23, 2018, 09:39:16 AM »

Ah yeah, that dock doesn't look to be in to good of shape.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #544 on: July 24, 2018, 08:53:51 AM »

Ah yeah, that dock doesn't look to be in to good of shape.

Made a neat picture though!

We were riding over in Ida yesterday afternoon and saw four cranes (too far away to tell for sure if they were sandhills but they moved like it) in the field standing on the edge of a drain or creek.  I saw four ducklings swimming too so I assume the cranes were there for a drink.  Looked like a mating pair with two 'babies'.  They were almost as tall as the parents but not as filled out yet.

Nothing on the trail camera but a cat.  Very interesting how that cycles.  I was hoping I'd get a trailcam picture of the hen turkey and 3 chicks I saw earlier about 50 yards from the camera but no such luck. 

I did get a picture of the turkey but it was through the windshield of the pickup so not real good.  I'll post it in a bit.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #545 on: July 24, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »

Yesterday after lunch I was taking the pickup out behind the barn.  I drove the long way around and when I turned to head back to the barn there was this hen turkey standing in the trail.  Usually they're just gone when you're that close to them but she was taking her time walking.  Then I saw the little ones.  No faster than they were walking they're not very old.  They walked about 30 yards down the trail and then cut over toward the trail camera but there weren't any pictures of them when I got the SD card later. 

The picture was with my phone and taken through the windshield on the truck.  It was that or no picture at all.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #546 on: July 24, 2018, 08:23:20 PM »

We went and checked by the creek for the cranes today but they weren't there.  There were two young boys probably around 9 or 10 there fishing off the bridge.  I asked if they had seen the cranes and one boy said he had seen a "giant" bird there when they first got there.  I wonder if they hang around there all the time?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #547 on: July 24, 2018, 08:27:35 PM »

We did get a picture of one lone hen turkey on the trailcam last night just before dark but I don't see any chicks so not sure if it is the same one or not.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #548 on: July 26, 2018, 06:35:01 PM »

I brought the camera in tonight to reset the date and time.  I'm going to put it back out over on our west line where I have had it before.  Haven't had much on the east side lately so time to 'head west'.  That will put it right where I saw the turkey with her chicks today.  Maybe I can get some better pictures of them.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #549 on: July 27, 2018, 09:10:24 PM »

I got the camera date and time all synched up to Verizon time and even got it out on the west line last night.  I went out early this morning to see what I might have a picture of and as soon as I opened the cover I saw that I had forgotten to turn it on...

either that or the deer have figured out how to turn it off!!!  Just checked it again and all it has is pictures of me walking, me on the Cub Cadet and me driving by in the pickup!  I do use this trail a lot more than the one on the east.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #550 on: July 30, 2018, 10:47:32 AM »

I'm not sure why but we've always seen more coyotes on the west line than the east line.  When they're on the east line and get to the road they have to cross right between two houses.  The houses are a couple of hundred feet apart but probably still makes them a bit nervous.  The west line just goes out into a field which is chest high corn right now.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 02:27:02 PM by BigRedDog »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #551 on: August 06, 2018, 08:34:03 PM »

I think there are at least two different coyotes in this series of pictures.  One seems smaller and younger.

Two different times it looks like the coyote saw or heard the flash and made a turn or circled around.  Not sure what they think they're accomplishing but it must make sense to a coyote! 

In the next picture you have to look close to see the coyote walking away from the camera near the left side of the frame.  Somehow Shutterfly got these out of order so you'll have to check the time stamp to see what was happening at what time.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #552 on: August 06, 2018, 08:44:13 PM »

And here it comes back!!!

Back again the next night!

Two minutes later and it's either a different coyote or the first one has moved right down under the camera.

And all in the same minute he's either flipped around or a different one is heading north. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #553 on: August 09, 2018, 11:34:47 AM »

Here's one of the two fawns we saw last night in the field next door.  There was a very short window of opportunity for me to get a picture of the two of them but I missed it.

This is within feet of the trail that the coyotes tend to walk on at night!  I took the picture with my cell phone without the camera module and through the truck windshield.  So, it's a little blurry!!!

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]   Go Up