MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Don't forget to vote NO for the Jefferson swimming pool millage today!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't forget to vote NO for the Jefferson swimming pool millage today!  (Read 3934 times)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker

Plus don't forget that in addition to those higher property taxes, those that do utilize the place will still have to pay yearly membership fees
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

1conservative

• Hero Talker

I don't think a lot of the electorate understands what is going on here, this is a MILLAGE it CAN NOT be "ear marked" for the swimming pool or Rec Center. If approved these funds will go DIRECTLY into the GENERAL FUND. I will never support a millage ever again!

If this were a BOND issue I would support the measure because the funding would have to be used for the stated purpose according to State Law.

In my opinion this is a scam, a test run for the real millage they will need to spring on the tax payers in the coming year.

By Jefferson's own admission they are running over $2 million in DEFICIT SPENDING, in 2.5 years at their current spending rate  Jefferson will have basically NO MONEY in their fund equity or savings account. Then what?

Again this money will go directly into Jefferson's general fund.

This group that is trying to pass this tax burden is either dishonest or ignorant of the facts as to where this money is going to be spent. Why haven't the plans to "reopen" the swimming pool been detailed to their rightful owners, the citizens of the Jefferson District? Where is the so-called membership money going to be spent? How many of the districts friends will be hired to support this idea?

This is a SCAM my friends, you'll see!

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker

My intention has been to vote "NO".....but now I think I'll just stay away and accept the decision of the majority that participates.
I fully expect a poor turnout....but that means no waiting.

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?

Well, what about all the people that pay taxes and don't have kids in school...

I never complained all the time my kids were in school...

now that they're all out it makes me look at that tax bill a little closer every year...

Good point.

I was thinking about that when I made my post.  I have kids in school, but the money I pay in taxes is a LOT more than what it costs for educating my kids.  I paid those taxes before I had kids, and I will keep paying those taxes long after they graduate.

What about homeowners with no kids?

Makes you wonder where all the money goes.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

Kingsley

• Hero Talker

Good point.

I was thinking about that when I made my post.  I have kids in school, but the money I pay in taxes is a LOT more than what it costs for educating my kids.  I paid those taxes before I had kids, and I will keep paying those taxes long after they graduate.

What about homeowners with no kids?

Makes you wonder where all the money goes.

There are more kids in trailer parks who pay nothing to go to school than there are homeowners with no kids. Those homeowners are adopting kids and paying for their education by proxy, and the same goes for thos who choose to send their kids to private schools and don't utilize the public system.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker

There are more kids in trailer parks who pay nothing to go to school than there are homeowners with no kids. Those homeowners are adopting kids and paying for their education by proxy, and the same goes for thos who choose to send their kids to private schools and don't utilize the public system.
It looks like mobile home parks pay a property tax on each unit...it's not much but one fear is paying the same tax as a $100K site built home....that type of taxation would ruin the mobile home park business.
http://www.senate.michigan.gov/sfa/publications/notes/2005notes/notesjanfeb05jpf.pdf

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Kingsley

• Hero Talker

It looks like mobile home parks pay a property tax on each unit...it's not much but one fear is paying the same tax as a $100K site built home....that type of taxation would ruin the mobile home park business.
http://www.senate.michigan.gov/sfa/publications/notes/2005notes/notesjanfeb05jpf.pdf

Then charge a nuisance tax on them.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker

Are they bothering you?

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.

Ok, so the cost of this millage is half a mill.

That's only $75 for a typical house with an assessed value of $150,000.

But that's not the point, people!  This tax (and dozens others just like it) are being forced down the throat of every home owner - NOT just the people that use the pool.  People that vote NO will still have to pay the tax if the millage passes.

I have a problem with that.

I try not to drive much, so the taxes that go to roads are completely forced upon me.

I don't have any kids, and don't currently plan on it, so having to pay for public schools is violating my right to whatever it is I have a right to.
your mom goes to college.

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?

I try not to drive much, so the taxes that go to roads are completely forced upon me.

I don't have any kids, and don't currently plan on it, so having to pay for public schools is violating my right to whatever it is I have a right to.

I really don't have a problem with road taxes - because they are allocated properly, from fuel taxes.  The people that use the roads directly pay for them through those taxes.  The more you use the roads, the more fuel you buy, the more taxes you pay.  Nothing wrong with that basic premise.

I just think the school taxes should be the same.  No kids, no taxes.  If you have four kids, you should pay more for their schooling.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

PXaiver

I agree with you live.  I have no kids and I'm probably not going to have any unless Satan requests my seed for the anti-Christ.  Even then my spawn will be schooled in the pits of hell so technically Prometheus won't be using taxpayer money.  I really don't mind paying taxes for schools but it should be limited to the amount of time I spent in the public school system.  Basically 13 years of home ownership/apartment rental should be the limit for people without children to pay taxes for schools if they only have a high school diploma or did not attend a publicly funded post secondary school.....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:30:15 AM by The Shaggy Marlin »

PXaiver

If I wanted to adopt a kid, I would.  I don't, so why should I have to pay your kids to go to school?  Wait, I forgot, whatever you say is correct and I have to abide by your rules.

High horse...you has one....

The Chicken

• Hero Talker
  • Common sense is not so common... Voltaire
    • The Chicken Channel

We pay taxes to fund public schools so all have the same opportunity at an education regardless of your wealth..

I have no qualms with paying for education.. I know that MOST people could never afford to educate their children.. not to mention children with special needs... I don't mind educating children with developmental disabilities through the age of 25 either!

It is in the best interest of the community to pay for the education of the children in your community than it is to have an illiterate ignorant society where 20% of the population can read and 80% cannot

Go to Mexico..  Everything you want can be found there...  8) 8) 8)
There is NO in-flight Beverage Service on the 747 to HELL!

PXaiver

Excellent point Tampa.  Maybe we could just institute a tax on children instead or give the tax break to people without kids instead of people with kids.....

LessGovernment

• Hero Talker
  • "Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom"

The millage would be used for recreation purposes only, such as renovations or intramural sports, and would not be transferred into the school's general fund.

Promises, Promises...

That's what they ALWAYS say...kinda like social security ended up getting rolled into the general fund...gee, how many "government entities" raid "set aside funds" to balance their budgets...now they've got another taxpayer-funded bank account to raid when needed(if the "annual fees" to use the rec center are plentifully coming in - what will they do with the "surplus" - END the millage???  Not likely!).

Costly upgrades and lack of school funding led to the closing the center and the swimming pool to the public in 2004. At that time, the district was faced with a $2.3 million budget shortfall. The recreation center was cut from the budget because of its costly upkeep and an additional $1.2 million needed for repairs.

Oh, I see what happened; the 'ol budget shortfall problem caused them to "tighten their belt", and so they cut a "luxury" item from their expenses - they voted to HURT the children by taking away their state-of-the-art sports and exercise facility - rather than look to other areas of waste, fraud, and abuse withing the ENTIRE district and prioritizing the health, fitness, competitive sports and overall wellness of our children and our adult community!

Well, now ALL the uninformed taxpayers once again will get sacked with the consequences that come about from NEGLECT of our civic DUTY to keep a jealous watch over elected officials and how they handle OUR MONEY; who cunningly take advantage of our APATHY and continue on in their self-serving ways...it's so easy to raise our taxes these days isn't it?  With so many people so disgusted with our government, or too busy working 2 and 3 jobs...

Look how many people voted;

*Yes 851
No 612

...out of how many households affected?

This could have been done by a bond issuance...I would have gladly invested(gambled) $75/year to my children's school, and trusted in a return given the potential benefits to their sports program & the community at large...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:53:08 AM by LessGovernment »
"Wherefore governments rather depend upon men than men upon governments. Let men be good, and the government cannot be bad; if it be ill, they will cure it. But, if men be bad, let the government be ever so good, they will endeavor to warp and spoil it to their turn." - William Penn
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up