MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Religion & Philosophy > I'm not a Christian, so could one of you answer a question for me?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm not a Christian, so could one of you answer a question for me?  (Read 1490 times)

Prophet of Doom

• Super Talker

How serious shoud I take the Neocon Armageddonites?

Are there those among the christians that are actually trying to bring about the rapture?

Do any of them live in monroe county?

Greg Chamberlain

• Hero Talker
Re: I'm not a Christian, so could one of you answer a question for me?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 02:21:51 PM »

I've never heard of Neocon Armageddonites. Let me go do a google search.

Dayum, Son.
"To preserve the freedom of the human mind then and freedom of the press, every spirit should be ready to devote itself to martyrdom; for as long as we may think as we will, and speak as we think, the condition of man will proceed in improvement." - Thomas Jefferson

christfollower

• Hero Talker
  • Luke 9:23
    • Be Comforted Ministries
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 02:50:34 PM »

How serious shoud I take the Neocon Armageddonites?

Are there those among the christians that are actually trying to bring about the rapture?

Do any of them live in monroe county?

The group of people your referring to are some our nations evangelical Christians. Does the Bible say that the end times are near? Yes, we can read and understand this when we look at the prophecies that show us the signs. Wars, rumors of wars, pestilences, armies surrounding Isreal, etc... The problem I see with this movement is this, Jesus told us when these signs appear keep watch, because His coming is near. What he was telling us is to examine the way that we live, surrender our willl to Him because the coming judgment will be soon. He never once told us to predict the time and date, in fact He told us no man will know the hour, thus the reason we must keep watch. It is the same if you knew a thief was going to rob your home you would be prepared for him to come. Jesus wants us to be prepared for his coming, by living holy lives guided by the Spirit of God. Jesus also never told us to prepare a way for Him, thus trying to make the rapture happen. God the Father himslef has already appointed a time for the rapture and Armageddon to happen, there is nothing man can do to speed up the process. Only God knows when , not man. The best thing that we can do is exactlly what Jesus said, believe in Him and Keep watch.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Greg Chamberlain

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 03:27:35 PM »

I think we can do better than that. We can start by changing our culture such that non-religious people aren't seen as heathens any more.
"To preserve the freedom of the human mind then and freedom of the press, every spirit should be ready to devote itself to martyrdom; for as long as we may think as we will, and speak as we think, the condition of man will proceed in improvement." - Thomas Jefferson

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 03:36:12 PM »

I think we can do better than that. We can start by changing our culture such that non-religious people aren't seen as heathens any more.
Strange, I am a believer, and I feel like my religious beliefs are under fire. Who said non-religious people are heathens?

christfollower

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 03:47:46 PM »

You have mis represented here what a real follower of Christ feels about those who do not believe.. I for one as well as many others that I know, feel that I am no better than you. I once was a "heathen" I am a sinner saved by grace. Nothing else, no better or worse than any huuman on the planet. The only difference is that I made a choice to allow Christ to change my life. I do not consider non believers to be "heathens" I consider non believers to be people created by God who have simply been misguided by the god of this world as I once was. People who consider non believers to be heathens are pridefull and full of themselves. Even if they now believe because they have put themselves up on a pedistal above others. I have said it once I will say it again this is the purpose of my ministry to help people come to the saving knowlege of Christ, because of my love for them and the love that Christ has for them. No other reason.
IN GOD WE TRUST

lotsalivin2do

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 04:01:39 PM »

heathen-
  an unconverted member of a people or nation that does not acknowledge the God of the Bible.           Date: before 12th century

non-religious-
not all are necessarily without belief in the supernatural or in deities; such a person may be a non-religious or non-practicing

There is a difference in a non-religious person and a heathen.  Also I think as time has evloved, society has put a whole new meaning behind the word heathen.  I would not take offense to the correlation of the two words.  God loves us all, even though we are all sinners.  Believing that Christ sacrifice on the cross is the only way for forgivness and eternal life is the difference in the faith of a christian and a non-believer.  Simple isn't it!!!
"If at all possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."  Romans 12:18

Greg Chamberlain

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 04:17:38 PM »

Have any of you lived in the south in places where people who don't attend church every sunday are treated like outcasts?

forever39

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 05:09:09 PM »

Yes, I have & still have family there = you are wrong.

christfollower

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 05:42:08 PM »

Have any of you lived in the south in places where people who don't attend church every sunday are treated like outcasts?

Anyone who treats non church goers like outcast are wrong. Jesus himself traveled with sinners. The reason he did this was to show them the errors of their ways and to show them how to live in a manner that is pleasing to God.
IN GOD WE TRUST

PrincessAmy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 04:39:41 AM »

Yes....my dad lives in TN now, and is on the road and comes up here, and we have dinner often. He is what I would say the OP is talking about - tonight he started talking about the end of days, and how his pastor predicted it would be 2012 (don't ask, I have no clue). Then he started talking about giants (referring to the  Bible) and I asked if he meant the giants in Harry Potter?

I think it saddens him that I'm non-religious, and that he should've done somethign when I was a kid to change that, but what he did was provide me with encouragement to think on my own, and that is how I've chosen to believe the Bible is as real as a fairy tale.

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 05:44:09 AM »

Yes....my dad lives in TN now, and is on the road and comes up here, and we have dinner often. He is what I would say the OP is talking about - tonight he started talking about the end of days, and how his pastor predicted it would be 2012 (don't ask, I have no clue). Then he started talking about giants (referring to the  Bible) and I asked if he meant the giants in Harry Potter?

I think it saddens him that I'm non-religious, and that he should've done somethign when I was a kid to change that, but what he did was provide me with encouragement to think on my own, and that is how I've chosen to believe the Bible is as real as a fairy tale.
2012, might be the Mayan prediction of the end...or Nostradomus...
I would just like to say my parents also encouraged me to think for myself. I believe that is why my faith in God is so strong.

Normal Joe

• Hero Talker
  • Yep..it's true. I'm Normal...
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 03:08:52 PM »

I usually put neo armagedomites on my breakfast cereal every morning :)
If all the leaves on all the trees could talk....

Normal Joe

• Hero Talker
  • Yep..it's true. I'm Normal...
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 03:30:49 PM »

To the little princess:
Faith is a gift. Nobody can give it to you except your creator...you can reject it if you want to...that's called free will...God gave you your free will so that you can choose...the bible is not a fairy tale...you have to have faith to accept that..God will give anybody faith if they ask for it...try asking... ;)
If all the leaves on all the trees could talk....
Pages: [1]   Go Up