MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > front page of Monroe Evening News qualifications ?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: front page of Monroe Evening News qualifications ?  (Read 1403 times)

1maggie

• New Talker
front page of Monroe Evening News qualifications ?
« on: May 24, 2010, 09:01:27 PM »

am just curios as to  whom makes the decision on what is on the front page of MEN, and how is  the scope of coverage decided upon. EXAMPLE: (and not to take it away from either party involved and i do not know either families involved) I noticed with the passing of 'our communities latest soldier' from Newport, being killed in Afghanistan, 'his story' was on the top 3/4 of front page,,,he had to 'share' the front page that day with , Dundee coach that also made headlines for a totally different reason,.(in my opinion would've been on the bottom of page)...the day MEN showcased the soldiers from our community that has been killed in the line of duty during this Iraq war,,,,,they were given page 2.  Now on to the other unfortunate family of Monroe,,,family of Nevaeh.....One year later,,,still full front page news, still has more coverage then any fallen soldier.   i would like to know, how MEN can justify what they have done to both stories,,the soldier and the child,,both came to death by ways of others,,both were young people in their own right,,,one a child enjoying her freedom,,the other a soldier fighting for our freedom.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
Re: front page of Monroe Evening News qualifications ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:38:38 PM »

I have no idea how the MEN runs their paper specifically, but I'm pretty sure it's fairly close to this:

1) What will sell papers?
2) Put it on the front page.

Rinse, repeat.
your mom goes to college.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 03:11:20 AM »

Yep.  Even though the color is all rinsed out, keep running it through the wash......

It's obvious that folks around here could care less about the Gulf oil spill, it rates a last page blurb.....  Interesting.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 06:39:05 AM »

Seems like Deb Saul had an editorial on this very topic within the last few months...

I don't recall the details of her answer and forgot to clip and file that one ;) ;) ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Paula Wethington

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
    • The Monroe News
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 08:30:45 AM »

Here are the links to Deb Saul's recent columns on that topic:

Just when does a story get on page 1?
http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100423/SAULLOCCOL/304239999

Readers respond to columns
http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100430/SAULLOCCOL/304309998
Newsroom digital team leader member, reporter for The Monroe News
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/MonroeNewsPaula

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 08:38:52 AM »

Here are the links to Deb Saul's recent columns on that topic:

Just when does a story get on page 1?
http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100423/SAULLOCCOL/304239999

Readers respond to columns
http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100430/SAULLOCCOL/304309998

Thanks Paula...   maybe my memory isn't as bad as I remembered :D :D :D
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Baby Hitler

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 11:07:13 AM »

I wonder what the phrase “a very nice subscriber.” translates into. LOL

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 11:44:28 AM »

She must have been talking about me!! :)   8*    :P

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »

She must have been talking about me!! :)   8*    :P

I'll bet you're right erie :D :D :D

1maggie

• New Talker
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 09:53:15 PM »

thank you to all who replied to my curiosity, i did go to deb Saul article's. i read them with an open mind,,i still came up with the same answer....blah,blah,blah ! MEN is a employee owned paper,but it is also a 'community based newspaper' in as,,,no local fallen soldier should have to take second place or 'share' for top billing of the '''local''' newspaper, again this is my opinion. i personally don't want to see ''Detroit news'' or ''washington news'' (unless its of a magnitude,like past historical events) on the front page,,, buy a Detroit newspaper or washington post newspaper,better yet ,,put that news on page 6/7/8......i do believe MEN needs to "prioritize"  front page headliners alittle better.....this is ''''our local newspaper''''...with memorial day coming up,,,and the way this world is nowadays,,,maybe we should all thank those soldiers/veterans for doing what they do and did,,other wise,,maybe we wouldn't be able to do what we do !  Thank You
Pages: [1]   Go Up