MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > $5.00 a gallon??????????????????????

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: $5.00 a gallon??????????????????????  (Read 6651 times)

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
  • I will try to be good. For a minute!
Re: $5.00 a gallon??????????????????????
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 11:13:01 AM »

Why should Chavez not do business with foreign countries?

Chavez doesn't hate Americans.  In fact, like many Americans, Chavez hates Bush..

Cliff.. spare us the Rush Limbaugh/Fox News Channel rhetoric about Venezuela..

Greg Chamberlain

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 11:27:01 AM »

Why should Chavez not do business with foreign countries?

Chavez doesn't hate Americans.  In fact, like many Americans, Chavez hates Bush..

Cliff.. spare us the Rush Limbaugh/Fox News Channel rhetoric about Venezuela..

I think the way Chavez treats his own people is reprehensible. But yeah, he's not the boogey man people make him out to be.
"To preserve the freedom of the human mind then and freedom of the press, every spirit should be ready to devote itself to martyrdom; for as long as we may think as we will, and speak as we think, the condition of man will proceed in improvement." - Thomas Jefferson

zard0z

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 11:42:13 AM »

I think the way Chavez treats his own people is reprehensible. But yeah, he's not the boogey man people make him out to be.

Yes, he is the boogeyman...

Chavez has already rewritten their constitution, stacked the courts and begun throwing political opponents into jail. With billions of dollars in oil profits, Chavez is buying advanced Russian fighter planes and helicopters, dramatically increasing the size of his armed forces and integrating it with Cuba's...Chavez laughs all the way to the bank. He sits atop one of the largest oil reserves in the world. Venezuela owns CITGO. And as America's fourth largest oil supplier, he believes he has the U.S. by the throat. And he just might.

Hugo Chavez said America is a “danger to the world” after calling Bush the Devil...Chavez supports everyone trying to pick up a gun against the West. And the friend of my enemy, who funds and supports my enemy is also my enemy...

Prophet of Doom

• Super Talker
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 12:20:43 PM »

Chavez, Iran, North Korea, and many other small countries could easily band together against us, as we claim to be the only world's Superpower, and inflict the death of a thousand cuts.

Never forget that 80% of everything we have here, was imported. we are not self sufficient by any means. We can be brought to our knees without a shot being fired or a bomb detonated. All that need happen is for the ships filled with imported goods to stop coming for a couple of weeks.

Watcher

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 12:58:21 PM »

Chavez, Iran, North Korea, and many other small countries could easily band together against us, as we claim to be the only world's Superpower, and inflict the death of a thousand cuts.

Never forget that 80% of everything we have here, was imported. we are not self sufficient by any means. We can be brought to our knees without a shot being fired or a bomb detonated. All that need happen is for the ships filled with imported goods to stop coming for a couple of weeks.

What is you point?  Do you have a suggestion regarding your statement?

crazeemom

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 01:21:38 PM »

I found that ethanol was just as costly if not more than gas too... anyone else see the irony.
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 01:24:15 PM »

I found that ethanol was just as costly if not more than gas too... anyone else see the irony.

I'm not a chemist by any means crazeemom...   but I've been reading and there is much less "power" in ethanol....   yes it sounds like it costs just as much for equal "power"...
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Prophet of Doom

• Super Talker
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 01:39:26 PM »

I guess my point is that Chavez must be taken seriously and not dismissed as some crackpot Dictator.
 The same for iran.

One of the first rules of combat survival is respect your enemies.

schrodingers_cat

• Super Talker
  • yes. it is a cat with safety goggles on.
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 02:36:48 PM »

I'm not a chemist by any means crazeemom...   but I've been reading and there is much less "power" in ethanol....   yes it sounds like it costs just as much for equal "power"...

Well, I'm a chemist(/chemical engineer)!  Not that that gives me any credibility ;)

Anyway, ethanol is expensive, but it is renewable.  While we can get it from processing things like corn, we're finding out that fields are yielding less and less corn each and every year.  So it would be renewable for a while, yep.  I have no idea how long. 

I don't personally believe that ethanol is the best resolution to our oil issue here, but I think that it's a step in the right direction. 

We're not going to fix our dependency on oil over night, it's going to take some time.  Yes, perhaps this research should have started long before it did, but it didn't.  So I look at it in a way that we're now moving in a better direction.

Boylanjl

• Hero Talker
  • xxx
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 02:46:54 PM »

Monroe has so many churches I bet most are within walking distance of one.  ;D

Greg Monroe has a lot of churces, but I know a town in Ga where you see one about every mile or so.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2007, 08:47:34 AM »

Economists: Ethanol's impact on agriculture a mixed blessing
http://www.purdue.edu/UNS/html3month/2005/051019.Hurt.ethanol.html

With alternative fuel in the limelight, the cost of corn has skyrocketed
http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/30/news/economy/corn_ethanol/index.htm

The National Corn Growers Association states:
Ethanol absorbs moisture. That’s a benefit when ethanol is present in your car’s fuel system, but it causes problems during pipeline transport. Pipelines contain moisture and deposits that are absorbed by ethanol, thus changing its state during transport.
http://www.ncga.com/ethanol/main/economics.htm

I’ve always thought water in the fuel was a bad thing but I do seems to recall somebody saying the water expands greater than gasoline and somehow that expansion provides greater power…..
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

riversbend

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2007, 09:01:19 AM »

I think what I see as even "worse",  is the fact that diesel fuel is already close to $4.00 a gallon. It has stayed consistantly higher than regular gas for a while now. The problem with that is, much of what we consume on a daily basis is delievered by trucks that use diesel. The trucking companies up prices for goods delivered, such as food and commodities, and the retailer passes that increase on to the consumer, which means everything is going up.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2007, 11:18:35 AM »

Yeah what's up with diesel? As a kid I was always amazed at how cheap diesel was compared to regular gas.
your mom goes to college.

Lady Arbella

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2007, 11:39:36 AM »

I was just watching some truck show and they were showing you how to make your own diesel fuel for .70 cents a gallon. It is made out of used vegetable oil. I'm not sure how practical that is, but I  thought it was interesting.

http://www.freedomfuelamerica.com/
If your dog doesn't like someone, you probably shouldn't either.

sue lee

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2007, 11:48:37 AM »

Not to mention ethanol has much to do with the prices of milk and meats rising. The corn that was once so abundant is now a hot seller. It costs more to feed farm animals. I think it is a bad deal all the way around. I still believe that a nation that can send men into space can develop an auto engine other then a fuel burning type.
The best mannered people make the most absurd lovers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up