MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > $5.00 a gallon??????????????????????

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: $5.00 a gallon??????????????????????  (Read 6650 times)

Fred Munny

• Hero Talker
Re: $5.00 a gallon??????????????????????
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2007, 10:50:58 PM »

Too bad cars don't run on milk. Ouch.

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2007, 06:37:37 AM »

Please define "crap load"..is it bigger than a breadbasket ???
the world's largest deposits occur in two countries: Canada and Venezuela, both of which have oil sands reserves approximately equal to the world's total reserves of conventional crude oil. As a result of the development of these reserves, most Canadian oil production in the 21st century is from oil sands or heavy oil deposits, and Canada is now the largest single supplier of oil and refined products to the United States.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_sands

Extracting oil from the tar sands of Alberta carries a huge environmental cost.
http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/campaigns/tarsands/

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2010, 09:26:30 PM »

Gas jumped like 30 cents this week.  Did someone sneeze?
After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life ... Groucho Marx.

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2010, 09:50:12 PM »

An oil pipeline burped somewhere south of us, therefore we are starved for crude, therefore we pay more for gas. On the other hand, in a twenty-mile trek today, saw prices vary by twenty cents per gallon.Quien sabe?

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2010, 11:04:29 PM »

Every time one company has a problem like a line break why do all the other companies get a big bonus through a price increase?  ???
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2010, 09:30:33 AM »

in a twenty-mile trek today, saw prices vary by twenty cents per gallon

No doubt it was 2.89 here in Monroe on Wednesday and 2.64 in Livonia. How and the heck does that work?

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2010, 10:04:26 AM »

No doubt it was 2.89 here in Monroe on Wednesday and 2.64 in Livonia. How and the heck does that work?

They are in different 'zones' Monroe has a different fuel mix than Livonia, and so they have a bit cheaper gas. (I could find the exact info again if pressed, but I'm just posting this from memory. I wrote a story in the Bedford Now on it a few years back.)
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

Baby Hitler

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2010, 11:39:24 AM »

Every time one company has a problem like a line break why do all the other companies get a big bonus through a price increase?  ???
Because they can.

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2010, 11:57:18 AM »

$5/gal. gas = $6/bu. corn, and $16/bu. soybeans.

BRING IT ON!!!   ;D
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

Duke

• Super Talker
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2010, 05:00:39 PM »

It was $3.19 on the way to work today. I can see $4 but I think $5 is out of site. They will never restrict driving on certain days. But I can see them giving you a gas ration card. We had them when I was stationed in Germany. Not a bad idea. You get 100 gallons per month use it as you see fit.
That all depends on how far you have to drive to work.

The Chicken

• Hero Talker
  • Common sense is not so common... Voltaire
    • The Chicken Channel
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »

I believe it has more to do with how far the stations are from the refinery.. and where they have bought their fuel wholesale...

Remember... they all don't use the same...

And this is another example of how the refineries keep a tight market on refined fuel....  There are still millions and millions of gallons of refined fuels that have been stored by speculators including large banks and investment houses that keep refined fuel in storage, looking for a chance to sell it for more than what they paid for it...  They also do the a lot with heating fuel... 

Yes the commodity market was set up so people like farmers could lock in a price for their fuel.. so  they can plan how much it will cost to farm...  But in the past ten years, the speculators have found out that taking advantage on our tight refined fuel market... That they can make supply and demand change...

Now when they get the consumer protection agency going... and get back the regulations that once prevented this manipulation of the markets... Hopefully they will put a ceiling on how much they can raise prices during a period of time...

Like here in Florida... We have a gouging law... Because Gas is a commodity that goes pretty quickly when there is a hurricane coming... When the Governor declares a state of emergency... They cannot charge more than 5% of their price before the State of Emergency... This applies to things from water and food... to plywood and other things that are needed to ride our a Hurricane and protect your home...

Then they have a hot line to call, if you see someone price gouging....  Yes hard to believe people try to take advantage of a situation... but they do... even will risk getting huge fines and the possible loss of their business...  If we did not have this law... It would be chaos, and prices would sky rocket.... 
There is NO in-flight Beverage Service on the 747 to HELL!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up