MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Religion & Philosophy > [ON NOVA] Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: [ON NOVA] Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial  (Read 6515 times)

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
Re: [ON NOVA] Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 01:19:13 PM »

LMAO...!

*:)  If that was the case I would have ended life on this planet a long time ago...LOL

:D
On the contrary madam, some of us do believe in god. We just aren't egotistical enough to believe that OUR idea of God is the one and true idea and that everybody else is wrong. Further, we don't hold our beliefs above what we observe to be truth. When ever our belief conflicts with what we observe, we most decidedly choose to go with what we observe.

There is no reason why evolution, the big bang, and modern quantum physics can not be incorporated into a philosophy of intelligent design. After all, it would take a mighty intelligent force to get the ball rolling on all of these things. However, this "intelligence" is not observable, nor can it's effects be measured or even studied. As such, any talk on intelligent design is by definition NOT SCIENCE.

You and the resident christian fundie seem to be taking that as an attack on religion. You dismiss evolution because your book, a book that came about as a resulf of human political process and has been used as the justification for millions of murders, doesn't say it happens?
When did I ever dismiss evolution?
I believe in God, but that doesn't mean I can't believe in evolution too...Why is it so hard of a leap of faith that maybe God gave the primordial ooze a spark and evolution took over from there...I just don't fall in line to the idea that God made man simply by snapping his fingers and saying "walla you are man now"...The process of nature is very complex and happens over a long period of time...I use science to understand the things I don't know, not to discredit God or to say that he doesn't exist(and I never have!)...Many people other than me can see the wonders that God has crated, and with science we strive to understand them...

And why does it have to be "men" in your statement?...I'm sure there are a lot of women who believe in evolution as well...This is in no way an ego trip of "men"...That statement is callous and doesn't belong in this debate...Go start another thread if you want to bash on men... :(

I said men, because no women had responded @ the time. ;)

zard0z

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2007, 01:36:22 PM »

I said men, because no women had responded @ the time. ;)

*:)

;)

Greg Chamberlain

• Hero Talker
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2007, 02:02:05 PM »

When did I ever dismiss evolution?

I think Fred is referring to when you suggested Darwinism be taught in philosophy class along with intelligent design. You seemed to have been saying that both lacked scientific standing, which isn't true.
"To preserve the freedom of the human mind then and freedom of the press, every spirit should be ready to devote itself to martyrdom; for as long as we may think as we will, and speak as we think, the condition of man will proceed in improvement." - Thomas Jefferson

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2007, 02:39:38 PM »

I think Fred is referring to when you suggested Darwinism be taught in philosophy class along with intelligent design. You seemed to have been saying that both lacked scientific standing, which isn't true.

Actually, a bit of a clearing up.

There IS a Darwinist philosphy, and Darwinism is the word used to describe that philosphy. It is only slightly linked to evolution nowadays (the science).

So there is a Darwinist philosphy, but it's not what marilyn thinks it is.
your mom goes to college.

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2007, 03:15:06 PM »

Actually, a bit of a clearing up.

There IS a Darwinist philosphy, and Darwinism is the word used to describe that philosphy. It is only slightly linked to evolution nowadays (the science).

So there is a Darwinist philosphy, but it's not what marilyn thinks it is.

What is being confused is Darwinism & Evolution. I am fine with presenting Darwin's research and findings on evolution. I am not fine with presenting "Darwinism" as science.  No, I am not talking about "Social Darwinism", I am speaking of "Darwinism".  And I am definitely not fine with teacher's telling my children science disproves God, or there is no God.
I'd be interested to hear what other parents have to say.

For_Esmé

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2007, 03:18:34 PM »

I think everyone should all just sit down and watch Cavemen on ABC. If all your questions aren't answered after that... i don't know what to tell you.

;D
"People seem to enjoy things more when they know a lot of other people have been left out of the pleasure." ~ Russell Baker

"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe."  ~ Johann von Goethe

"Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation.
Deep space is my dwelling place,
The Stars my destination." 
~Alfred Bester

Fred Munny

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2007, 03:22:29 PM »

What is being confused is Darwinism & Evolution.

Okay marilyn, since we're not talking the same language why don't you explain to us what is Darwinism and what is Evolution.

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2007, 04:15:05 PM »

Okay marilyn, since we're not talking the same language why don't you explain to us what is Darwinism and what is Evolution.
Let's pretend ya'll don't know what Darwinism and Evolution are. First of all, Darwinism means different things to different people, and then there are things like "social darwinism" and "corporate darwinism". And I am no expert, and you could research it yourself. I think you should examine Darwin's work for what is was, and other's can stand on their own merits. The concept of evolution was actually put forth by a creationist, Edward Blyth, 25 years before Darwin's 'Origin of Species' was published.
Now, if you could somehow explain to me how evolution rules out Intelligent Design, I would be interested read.
I would advise you study evolution if you are so concerned, and find out what we know, and what we are hypothesizing.

zard0z

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2007, 04:27:44 PM »

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2007, 04:37:55 PM »

Now, if you could somehow explain to me how evolution rules out Intelligent Design, I would be interested read.
I would advise you study evolution if you are so concerned, and find out what we know, and what we are hypothesizing.

Evolutionary science tries to explain how animals evolve. "This species changed because of X, Y, and Z chemical reactions."

Intelligent Design is, will be, and will forever be, "Obviously God did it. Next question!"

One is science, one is blatant disregard for critical thinking.

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2007, 04:55:30 PM »

Evolutionary science tries to explain how animals evolve. "This species changed because of X, Y, and Z chemical reactions."

Intelligent Design is, will be, and will forever be, "Obviously God did it. Next question!"

One is science, one is blatant disregard for critical thinking.

You won't have to wait long for your 'missing link', someone is probably trying to clone one right now. How does belief in God disregard critical thinking? God stimulates more critical thinking on this forum than any other topic except high school football  :D

zard0z

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2007, 05:11:30 PM »

How does belief in God disregard critical thinking?

Well, belief in God in it's self doesn't disregard critical thinking, but I think belief in a dogmatic organized religion can put a damper on the old grey matter and make people turn away from new ideas just on the basis that it doesn't follow their golden rules...

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »

Well, belief in God in it's self doesn't disregard critical thinking, but I think belief in a dogmatic organized religion can put a damper on the old grey matter and make people turn away from new ideas just on the basis that it doesn't follow their golden rules...
Yes, and some people are acting like all science is fact. Science is all about unknowns and variables.
Great scientists were often thought to be witches, wacks, & worse. Some still are. Maybe Intelligent Design is just too deep of a concept for some.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2007, 09:41:50 PM »

Yes, and some people are acting like all science is fact. Science is all about unknowns and variables.
Great scientists were often thought to be witches, wacks, & worse. Some still are. Maybe Intelligent Design is just too deep of a concept for some.

ID does not present any facts, merely conclusions reached from a holy book.

sue lee

• Hero Talker
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2007, 10:56:48 PM »

Did anyone watch Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial on Nova tonight? If not I suggest watching it at 1:30 a.m. or at least recording it to watch later. It was so informative, I think some here may learn something.
The best mannered people make the most absurd lovers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up