MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Facebook Sign-up Requires Mobile Phone Number?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Facebook Sign-up Requires Mobile Phone Number?  (Read 11668 times)

Ronda

• Hero Talker
Facebook Sign-up Requires Mobile Phone Number?
« on: September 22, 2010, 08:52:30 AM »

I hate Facebook. I had an account for a while but deleted it. I tried to sign up again, and they want my flippin mobile phone number just to sign up. I refuse to give it, but now the %$#@*^& are sending friend requests (which I can't accept or deny) to my email inbox. I can't even get into my account to tell them to stop without giving them my mobile phone number, which I refuse to do. For one thing, I have no mobile phone number. For another, I think it's BS that they require it. I curse Facebook, its creators and the evil &^%#! running the show. Anyone have any suggestions for getting them to just forget I ever tried to sign up in the first place?

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
Re: Facebook Sign-up Requires Mobile Phone Number?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:54:46 AM »

Can't you just make up a number? like 734-289-1234 ? 

Ronda

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:57:02 AM »

Can't you just make up a number? like 734-289-1234 ? 

That was my husband's suggestions, too. I have a weird thing about lying, I try not to tell even white lies but I think FB is going to force me into it just so I can delete my account again.

Thanks for the reply!

Ronda

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:20:45 AM »

Ahh, they don't want my number, they want me to text them from my phone. I don't have a phone but my husband does, and we don't text, because it costs extra. Man, Facebook sure knows how to ruin someone's day. I think I'm just going to get rid of the email address I used to sign up (apparently, either all of my old friends really want to be friends again or FB is BSing me to get my account fully activated, because suddenly everyone wants to be my friend) and forget about it. Aaarghhh.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:31:29 AM by Ronda »

PXaiver

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:23:46 AM »

Rhonda, you don't need a mobile number for Facebook.  The reason why they want it is to confirm you are who you are and not trying to create a fake profile. All you really need for a profile is an active email address. For the account I have, I didn't use my mobile number, but I did add it later because it makes it easy for my friends to get a hold of me.

Ronda

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:24:12 PM »

Rhonda, you don't need a mobile number for Facebook.  The reason why they want it is to confirm you are who you are and not trying to create a fake profile. All you really need for a profile is an active email address. For the account I have, I didn't use my mobile number, but I did add it later because it makes it easy for my friends to get a hold of me.

Thanks, Shaggy. I have a valid email address. I think it's possible that because it's the same one I used for my previous account, which I canceled, they want me to confirm by texting them from my mobile phone. They didn't require that the first time I signed up with that email address.

Maybe if I try from another email address, one not already associated with a previous FB account, it'll let me sign up without texting them. But, that still leaves my attempted account there, which, apparently, people can see (if indeed they really are requesting to be my friend) but I can't get into to modify or cancel without sending a text. And now, after all of this, I've decided I don't want one at all. It just reminded me of how much I despise Facebook.

I'll probably just redirect all the Facebook notifications to my Junk Mail folder and forget about it.

[frustration-fueled rant]
It's too bad that most everyone I know insists upon using Facebook as their main form of communication. I often don't get replies when I send email, and then when I see the person and ask them about it, they say, "Oh, I never check my email anymore. Send it on Facebook." Or, someone I know loses a loved one or has a baby or whatever, people act like I'm an idiot for not knowing about it: "It was posted on Facebook!" Or, I want to offer my help on a certain project seeking volunteers, only to find out that you can only sign up via Facebook. It's annoying. It makes me want to drop out of society, because this is not the kind of society I want to exist in. I suppose I should just forget keeping up with family and friends and trying to make a difference in this world. It's hopeless, unless I want to sell my soul to Facebook. I swear, someday very soon, I am going to the top of a mountain somewhere all alone and never coming back down. [/frustration-fueled rant]

PXaiver

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:58:14 PM »

Thanks, Shaggy. I have a valid email address. I think it's possible that because it's the same one I used for my previous account, which I canceled, they want me to confirm by texting them from my mobile phone. They didn't require that the first time I signed up with that email address.http://www.facebook.com/help/ I don't know if you have to be logged in for that link to work.

Maybe if I try from another email address, one not already associated with a previous FB account, it'll let me sign up without texting them. But, that still leaves my attempted account there, which, apparently, people can see (if indeed they really are requesting to be my friend) but I can't get into to modify or cancel without sending a text. And now, after all of this, I've decided I don't want one at all. It just reminded me of how much I despise Facebook.

I'll probably just redirect all the Facebook notifications to my Junk Mail folder and forget about it.

[frustration-fueled rant]
It's too bad that most everyone I know insists upon using Facebook as their main form of communication. I often don't get replies when I send email, and then when I see the person and ask them about it, they say, "Oh, I never check my email anymore. Send it on Facebook." Or, someone I know loses a loved one or has a baby or whatever, people act like I'm an idiot for not knowing about it: "It was posted on Facebook!" Or, I want to offer my help on a certain project seeking volunteers, only to find out that you can only sign up via Facebook. It's annoying. It makes me want to drop out of society, because this is not the kind of society I want to exist in. I suppose I should just forget keeping up with family and friends and trying to make a difference in this world. It's hopeless, unless I want to sell my soul to Facebook. I swear, someday very soon, I am going to the top of a mountain somewhere all alone and never coming back down. [/frustration-fueled rant]

Sorry I couldn't be more help.  I don't really know what the issue is but if need be I would talk to someone in customer support.

I'm one of those people you hate.  Personally I don't know how I lived without my twitter and facebook accounts.  The relationship I'm currently in is a direct result of facebook and that's how I keep up with my charities.  Not to mention I have a really cool friend who lives in Mount Clemens that I met via facebook.  I rarely ever go to an email account on a computer anymore and prefer texts to emails.  I know it sucks for some people but for me Facebook is the walmart of the internet.  It's one stop shopping for so many different things.  Not to mention the fact it's easier to send out a mass invite to all your friends about at party you're having, like the one I have coming up soon (If any MT'ers want an invite PM me), than going through your phone book and calling everyone or getting numbers from friends.

Ronda

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 01:20:59 PM »

Sorry I couldn't be more help.  I don't really know what the issue is but if need be I would talk to someone in customer support.

I'm one of those people you hate.  Personally I don't know how I lived without my twitter and facebook accounts.  The relationship I'm currently in is a direct result of facebook and that's how I keep up with my charities.  Not to mention I have a really cool friend who lives in Mount Clemens that I met via facebook.  I rarely ever go to an email account on a computer anymore and prefer texts to emails.  I know it sucks for some people but for me Facebook is the walmart of the internet.  It's one stop shopping for so many different things.  Not to mention the fact it's easier to send out a mass invite to all your friends about at party you're having, like the one I have coming up soon (If any MT'ers want an invite PM me), than going through your phone book and calling everyone or getting numbers from friends.

Oh, no...I don't hate you, or anyone else that relies on Facebook for their main form of communication. Hate is too strong of a word. I just, I don't know...dislike doesn't cover it either. Pity? No, it's myself that I pity, if anyone. I don't really know that I feel anything for that type of person, I'm just kind of sad that I'm being left out because I don't have or want a FB account. Oh, well. I'm beginning to think that maybe society is a better place without my being actively involved in it, anyway. Ok, not a better place, because I think it's all going to hell, but since the majority seems to like it that way, I am obviously the flawed one and need to just shut up already and start looking for that mountain top.

I would try to talk to someone in customer support, but that would probably just lead to more frustration and I really can't handle that right now. Thanks for trying to help, though!

PS I do hate Walmart almost as much as I hate Facebook.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:43:11 PM by Ronda »

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 01:52:40 PM »

Why is Facebook asking me to confirm my identity by providing my phone number?
This is a security measure to help ensure that Facebook remains a community of people using their real identities to connect and share. If you ever lose your password, you’ll also be able to use your mobile number to access your account.

To access your Facebook account, just follow the on-site instructions to add your mobile phone number. If you are having issues or are unable to complete the confirmation process, you can report the problem here.
/help/?faq=18257 (the link where it says "here" is http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=phone_required )
http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=173

It appears that a cell phone is REQUIRED for new accounts.  But, there may be a way around it if you use that link.  It is a contact link.
After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life ... Groucho Marx.
Pages: [1]   Go Up